Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tony Allen is a Pelican

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Well, I'm not sure if I've seen a potential for a great defense like this in a while. Reminds slighty of the Detroit Pistons with Sheed and Big Ben.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Should really be looked at as a Pondexter for Tony Allen swap since thats where they got this money, and thats a very solid move imo.

While he doesn't have the shooting ability you prefer, he still has the ability to expose defenses through back door cuts. This is a crucial skill in our new offensive system, and one that Cousins should be able to take advantage of as well as anyone. Allen shot nearly 36% from 3 two seasons ago so its entirely possible that with our spacing, he could at least knock down the wide open ones. If Rondo and Allen can just hover at 34%, the Pels offense will be fine. Defense should be great, but I still think they should stagger Rondo and Allen as much as possible. Will be interesting to see whether they finish with Allen or Moore.

Theres clearly something to be said for having AD and Boogie on the same team in terms of being a free agent destination. Thats now Rondo, Clark, and Allen on one year deals. Even with minutes available, I don't think signings like this happen before the Boogie trade. These are the types of players that the Pelicans/Hornets historically would have had to over pay, but now they see the potential to help a talented core make the playoffs. It will be interesting to see whether these signings improve even more if the Pels make the playoffs and are able to retain Cousins.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Who is our other undersized player? Rondo and Jrue are probably one of the biggest backcourts in the entire NBA and AD and Cousins are grown men against anyone.

As far as the signing goes, I've been saying it for weeks now since Hill got injured. Tony Allen just made WAY too much sense. How many minutes does he play and does he start? I don't know. That depends on Miller and who else we sign. But one thing you need in this league is a shut down wing defender and Tony Allen gives us that. Even if he is only brought off the bench to guard the other teams best wing, it's a great fit.

People forget Rondo has shot 35% or higher from 3pt for 3 years in a row now. He actually shot better than Moore from 3pt last year.
    You think 6'1 and 6'4 is a big backcourt?

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Agree here, I wouldn't call it a big backcourt by any means. However, both players are long with the ability to defend 1s and 2s, and Rondo is a very good rebounder for his position. Allen is also long and a solid rebounder, and obviously he has the ability to slow down top wing players as well as most. I think the main thing you usually worry about with height is rebounding and we really shouldn't have any problem in that regard.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    And in training camp news
    Man, what happened to him. Dude was supposed to be a stud.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    And in training camp news
    God, if he has a Hassan Whiteside like resurgence...

Edit: Also, we are about to play some seriously good D.

I like Perry Jones, he was immature when he got into the league, but maybe time away is what the doctor ordered (though certainly not our team doctors). I am not expecting him to make the team, but if he does that is great because he has a lot of positives to his game (or he did when he first got to the NBA).
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Wingspan my friend.....wingspan!

Obligatory

He defends Durant very well. He's a pest. A Patrick Beverly on the wings

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    This move makes the team better. BBIQ and veteran experience is MUCH MUCH higher on this team compared to the last 4-5 years.

Demps made some costly mistakes in the past but he's done so many good things since getting Cousins. This team is going to be dominant. I want one more proven shooter.

I think we are going to have a top 5 defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good signing!! So excited to get the season started.

At first I wasn't excited over the move, simply because Allen can't shoot. But the fact that he's still an above average defender, and brings some toughness to the team, I'm glad to have him on board. Plus if Perry Jones can give us anything positive, it's lagniappe, I say. Welcome Grindfather!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Come on guys. I was advocating for Tony Allen for a reason. The last spot absolutely MUST go to a shooter now, but...come on! Tony Allen. One of the best perimeter defenders and tough guy leaders of the modern era, and he just got added to a team with Anthony Davis, DeMarcus Cousins, Jrue Holiday and Rajon Rondo. This is a great move. And there's your defensive captain, and also a guy who might inspire some defensive flashbacks from Rondo.
    Oh yeah absolutely. They were best friends when TA was with the Celtics and Rondo to this day mentions him as one of his best friends. If we don't see at least a good defensive effort from Rondo with Jrue helping out vs guards, Allen destroying opposing wings, AD protecting the rim + Erman shouting from the sideline I give up on him.

We're turning into Memphis with better offensive bigs. Which isn't a bad thing.

Great signing! One more peace and We are ready to go!

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinDavis1022 View Post
    At first I wasn't excited over the move, simply because Allen can't shoot. But the fact that he's still an above average defender, and brings some toughness to the team, I'm glad to have him on board. Plus if Perry Jones can give us anything positive, it's lagniappe, I say. Welcome Grindfather!!!
    Not to be a downer but I doubt Perry Jones makes the team.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Wingspan my friend.....wingspan!
    It's true. Its not how tall the guy is, its how high he can reach. A 6'10 player with a 6'10 wingspan is just as effective as a 6'5 player with a 6'10 wingspan.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    It's true. Its not how tall the guy is, its how high he can reach. A 6'10 player with a 6'10 wingspan is just as effective as a 6'5 player with a 6'10 wingspan.
    TA is 6'3 doe

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    TA is 6'3 doe
    With a 6'9 wingspan, that's UNO's point. He's 6'4 btw.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    With a 6'9 wingspan, that's UNO's point. He's 6'4 btw.
    Thing is he could be 4'2" with a 3'6" guy's wingspan at this point and it wouldn't change anything -- this isn't a rookie where we are having to speculate how he'll turn out. Whatever his height and reach this has been one of the best perimeter defenders the league has seen for a dozen years now. Arguing that "but Tony Allen is only such and such height" is a bit like arguing that "but Steph Curry has a hitch in his shot!" Doesn't matter. Whatever his height it flat works for him. Anybody who watches the NBA knows what Allen can do. Even if he's slowing a bit, he's still a massive upgrade defensively from what was there before, and would be for almost any team. He's been swinging to SF part time for the Grizz for years. In the year they won 55 and challenged the Warriors in the playoffs, 82games.com actually had him playing 2/3 of his minutes at SF (he and Lee were always pretty interchangeable at those spots).
    Last edited by Bricklayer; 09-12-2017 at 10:18 AM.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    So, Kushner said we'd be signing someone else soon in the coming days, that Cunningham is still in play and that we'd be likely signing someone who can guard both forward spots. Using deductive reasoning of whose left and fits that description, I would assume we are talking to some combination of Dante, Matt Barnes, Derrick Williams, and maybe Shabazz Muhammad who played some minor small ball in Minny. Assuming we go for a vet, everybody else feels more guard than forward
    @DanielVeuleman

My opinion is that you've got Etwan Moore starting with Jrue and Rondo. Tony comes off the bench but will get some decent minutes like a starter. Depending on the game situation, Tony comes in to play lockdown D. If we are playing from behind, Tony stays on the bench.

You have to minimize him and Rondo on the floor at the same time when points are needed.

With that being said, I think it's a great signing. He will bring leadership and a good defensive mentality. He knows his role and will fill it well.

Quote Originally Posted by R Pelly View Post
    My opinion is that you've got Etwan Moore starting with Jrue and Rondo. Tony comes off the bench but will get some decent minutes like a starter. Depending on the game situation, Tony comes in to play lockdown D. If we are playing from behind, Tony stays on the bench.

You have to minimize him and Rondo on the floor at the same time when points are needed.

With that being said, I think it's a great signing. He will bring leadership and a good defensive mentality. He knows his role and will fill it well.

Just no way Moore can guard SFs. Has to be Allen or the player to be signed into that last roster spot, assuming that Demps isn't going to hold that spot open for auditions by Perry Jones etc. Always a chance for a Darius Miller spot start, with Allen subbing in before it gets too ugly, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Just no way Moore can guard SFs. Has to be Allen or the player to be signed into that last roster spot, assuming that Demps isn't going to hold that spot open for auditions by Perry Jones etc. Always a chance for a Darius Miller spot start, with Allen subbing in before it gets too ugly, I suppose.
    In my ideal world, Darius comes in and is a serviceable NBA fringe starter getting about 20 minutes and Tony gets about 25 with his hustle. BUT knowing how Alvin Gentry likes his 3 guard lineups and Moore's experience with the system/team, I think Moore will get the start day one and hopefully work in Darius as the eventual starter.

Believe me, I don't want Moore to start.

Thread Information