.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 74

Thread: CAVS TRYING TO STEAL BOOGIE

  1. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    I'm really starting to hate everyone that's praying on our downfall or talk negativity about us. This summer has been ridiculous, I can understand Twitter troll's, but freaking Mike and Mike and first take? Paid ESPN anchors? Having Boogie questioning if we are loyal to him based on bogus lies from Twitter dummies? Jesus the season needs to hurry up and start. I hope we freaking destroy everyone. The idiots that just assume The Rockets will work out perfectly, same as the Wolves, but yet we are going to blow this team up for nothing just to make the NBA darlings better while we fade into nothingness is beyond idiotic.
    This. And I mean I try not to get annoyed by these idiots but it is really getting hard to not get annoyed and hope we come out destroying teams.

    Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

  2. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    With AD currently under contract, it would be nuts to go into rebuild mode. If you have one of the best young players in the NBA under contract, what is it you would be trying to obtain in the "rebuild?"
    Ok but now we are all in on this season if Cousins doesn't re-sign we are in serious trouble. This is the worse season to need a playoff appearance as so many teams have gotten better in the WC. If Cousins walks then what? Just burying your head in the sand and not considering all the scenarios and the likelihood of each isn't making anyone a better fan and it certianly isn't making anyone a better front office personnel.

    You would be trying to obtain cap flexibility lost due to bad contracts. You look to add more assets that you can control for another 5-10 years. You know basic things teams rebuilding look for.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 09-05-2017 at 03:37 PM.

  3. #28
    Why is everybody mad at the media? This is what mass media is now. Be mad at the general manager that lead the team to this point that outsider look at us and see a team with no future.

  4. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Why is everybody mad at the media? This is what mass media is now. Be mad at the general manager that lead the team to this point that outsider look at us and see a team with no future.
    And the fans who still don't realize that this is how the media works...

    "I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

  5. #30
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    19,655
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Ok but now we are all in on this season if Cousins doesn't re-sign we are in serious trouble. This is the worse season to need a playoff appearance as so many teams have gotten better in the WC. If Cousins walks then what? Just burying your head in the sand and not considering all the scenarios and the likelihood of each isn't making anyone a better fan and it certianly isn't making anyone a better front office personnel.

    You would be trying to obtain cap flexibility lost due to bad contracts. You look to add more assets that you can control for another 5-10 years. You know basic things teams rebuilding look for.
    Wouldn't you rather "rebuild" around a young star than a crapshoot draft choice or two? What are you hoping to get with the draft choice(s), another AD? How often does that happen?

  6. #31
    Where would Cousins go if he left? What better player he gon play next to than Anthony Davis?

  7. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Wouldn't you rather "rebuild" around a young star than a crapshoot draft choice or two? What are you hoping to get with the draft choice(s), another AD? How often does that happen?
    The problem isn't if I rather rebuild with Davis. The question is will that ship have sailed by that time. He has to choose us more than us choosing him.

  8. #33
    Can we at least wait until we actually fail to have this discussion? Yes, we all know this season is important but it doesn't mean we have to constantly assume the worst.

    There will be PLENTY of time to discuss the bad if this season fails.

  9. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Can we at least wait until we actually fail to have this discussion? Yes, we all know this season is important but it doesn't mean we have to constantly assume the worst.

    There will be PLENTY of time to discuss the bad if this season fails.
    I agree, it's kind of strange that this thread exists to basically complain about how other teams are trying to poach players, and it looks like they don't even have to steal them: some people are already trying to give them away.

  10. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I agree, it's kind of strange that this thread exists to basically complain about how other teams are trying to poach players, and it looks like they don't even have to steal them: some people are already trying to give them away.
    The reality of the situation doesn't change from vibes that are viewed as positive or negative. I said this on another site but contracts are depreciating assets. The whole wait and see approach has at least as many(if not more) negative outcomes as acting now. Considering all possibility isn't a "bad thing" it's how intelligent people arrive at a choice. So selling isn't necessarily opening up the team to being poached if it's the most logical option. I get it most fans think with their emotions, but that's usually the worse way to make decisions.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 09-05-2017 at 11:30 PM.

  11. #36
    Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2,515
    Why are we discussing a scenario that was tweeted by a fan?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  12. #37
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    19,655
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    The problem isn't if I rather rebuild with Davis. The question is will that ship have sailed by that time. He has to choose us more than us choosing him.
    But the time for that is not now.

  13. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Why are we discussing a scenario that was tweeted by a fan?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Why pass up a chance to do these mental gymnastics to hate on Dell?

    Any other franchise fans would strictly be talking playoffs. I mean really, you don't need more than a Davis, Cousins, and Rondo to win in the NBA.

    Yet these black lipstick emos talk about the team having no future on a whim. Why pass up all that fun?

  14. #39
    The CAVS won't get boogie unless this season fails and they offer Kevin Love or Tristen Thompson, JR Smith, and at least a first round draft pick. I still think if we trade boogie we can get high a lot for him. If we had to trade him I'd send him to Boston for Jason Tatum, Horford and Brooklyn's 2018 1st round pick. I don't think that's unrealistic. If we did this my next move would be to move AD. He would be unhappy if we traded Cousins so I think we'd need to move him.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    But the time for that is not now.
    Says who? That's my point it's better in terms of getting a return to be proactive. So while the overall opinion may be it's better to wait having the discussion shouldn't be taboo or an insult to anybody's fanhood.

  16. #41
    Why even have the season when we can just give up in advance!

  17. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Why even have the season when we can just give up in advance!
    It's hilarious that this is happening...We have some of the best talent on the team since Chris Paul, D West, and Tyson, but people already want to give up.

  18. #43
    What really gets me is that our fans are so gunshy at this point that they will entertain any ludicrous trade thrown out there before the season has even started. Yes, it will suck if Boogie and Brow don't gel but in my opinion you can't build a quality team always hedging your bets. OKC is one of the best examples of how even when they were one game away from the finals, they lost their superstar. What more could they have done to keep Durant there? Should they have traded him and not let that season play out because he might have walked? Winning cures all ills; so let's root for us to win and discuss a fire sale if we don't.

  19. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraunpetri View Post
    Should they have traded him and not let that season play out because he might have walked? Winning cures all ills; so let's root for us to win and discuss a fire sale if we don't.
    According to many here...that is the way to go. Nevermind the fact that you just end up endlessly swapping young players and picks hoping something will work out. Never mind the fact that you are still hoping for stuff either way.

    Never mind that those contracts you can "control" are usually very young players not fully physically or mentally ready, or hopefuls from another team you hope will suddenly blossom on yours.

  20. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraunpetri View Post
    What really gets me is that our fans are so gunshy at this point that they will entertain any ludicrous trade thrown out there before the season has even started. Yes, it will suck if Boogie and Brow don't gel but in my opinion you can't build a quality team always hedging your bets. OKC is one of the best examples of how even when they were one game away from the finals, they lost their superstar. What more could they have done to keep Durant there? Should they have traded him and not let that season play out because he might have walked? Winning cures all ills; so let's root for us to win and discuss a fire sale if we don't.
    They should've paid Harden

  21. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Says who? That's my point it's better in terms of getting a return to be proactive. So while the overall opinion may be it's better to wait having the discussion shouldn't be taboo or an insult to anybody's fanhood.
    What decision maker for the Pels would benefit from trading him? The 91 year old owner who probably won't live through a rebuild? The beleaguered GM who no doubt would lose his job if the team doesn't make the playoffs? The coach in the same boat as the GM? In a vacuum, sure, maybe it's worth considering all options but as a practical matter there's no way we are trading to get younger.

  22. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    What decision maker for the Pels would benefit from trading him? The 91 year old owner who probably won't live through a rebuild? The beleaguered GM who no doubt would lose his job if the team doesn't make the playoffs? The coach in the same boat as the GM? In a vacuum, sure, maybe it's worth considering all options but as a practical matter there's no way we are trading to get younger.
    Should vs would. I think he's saying we should, not that he expects that to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

    @Jabberwalker

  23. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraunpetri View Post
    What really gets me is that our fans are so gunshy at this point that they will entertain any ludicrous trade thrown out there before the season has even started. Yes, it will suck if Boogie and Brow don't gel but in my opinion you can't build a quality team always hedging your bets. OKC is one of the best examples of how even when they were one game away from the finals, they lost their superstar. What more could they have done to keep Durant there? Should they have traded him and not let that season play out because he might have walked? Winning cures all ills; so let's root for us to win and discuss a fire sale if we don't.
    I think there is a big difference between a team one win from the finals and a team that hasn't won a playoff game in 7 seasons. I think the smartest thing to do is probably hope for the best at this point but that's mainly due to acquiring Boogie. If you don't resign Jrue and get a ton for AD you can try rebuilding again this summer while taking on salary for assets from desperate teams. At this point I guess it's an all-or-nothing year because as Zach Lowe and Howard Beck pointed out on Zach's latest pod, if we don't make the playoffs Boogie is probably gone, if Boogie's gone, AD probably requests a trade, at which point we get whatever we can get back from him plus Jrue on a terrible deal and a poopoo platter to rebuild around, especially since we know that our 2018 first is gone as soon as Dell can unload it. New Orleans is the NBA's smallest market with a 91 year old owner who's heirs are fighting over his estate already. I'd expect the NBA to try like hell to keep it in NOLA after the last 8 years but the scenario that playoffs this season or the franchise moves isn't outlandish to me.

  24. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    I think there is a big difference between a team one win from the finals and a team that hasn't won a playoff game in 7 seasons. I think the smartest thing to do is probably hope for the best at this point but that's mainly due to acquiring Boogie. If you don't resign Jrue and get a ton for AD you can try rebuilding again this summer while taking on salary for assets from desperate teams. At this point I guess it's an all-or-nothing year because as Zach Lowe and Howard Beck pointed out on Zach's latest pod, if we don't make the playoffs Boogie is probably gone, if Boogie's gone, AD probably requests a trade, at which point we get whatever we can get back from him plus Jrue on a terrible deal and a poopoo platter to rebuild around, especially since we know that our 2018 first is gone as soon as Dell can unload it. New Orleans is the NBA's smallest market with a 91 year old owner who's heirs are fighting over his estate already. I'd expect the NBA to try like hell to keep it in NOLA after the last 8 years but the scenario that playoffs this season or the franchise moves isn't outlandish to me.
    On what planet or universe is Jrue on a "terrible" deal? I swear. Pr fans at a Pelicans game be like..

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	south-park-s17e04c05-************bag-emo-kids-16x9.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	6296
    Last edited by luckyman; 09-08-2017 at 06:29 PM.

  25. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    On what planet or universe is Jrue on a "terrible" deal? I swear. Pr fans at a Pelicans game be like..

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	south-park-s17e04c05-************bag-emo-kids-16x9.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	6296
    Instead of returning your name-calling, I'll assume you questioned my argument instead.

    Although we want to see rainbows and unicorns, the consensus around here before Jrue's deal was basically "let him walk". From my memory most of what I saw went along the lines of something like "Pay him no more than $20M a year for 4 years". He will be making $26M for 5. Look back at the thread of when he signed. The consensus by Pels fans was who know how important this season is was "that's more than I thought he deserved but not quite as bad as I was worried for". Who is trading for that contract in a year or two? He is a negative asset unless he greatly improves at 27 or the cap greatly rises. In what world does he live up to a near-max deal? He was payed what he got because his agent knew Dell's job is on the line for this season and there was no way to acquire anyone better and this was Dell's best chance to stick around for another year or two.

    In the scenario I was talking about with rebuilding, do you think you could even dump Jrue to a team on his current deal or do you think you'd have to give something up to get rid of him?

    I don't know why you act so offended just because we disagree. I think the Pels are probably not making the playoffs, though I'll obviously be rooting for it. It seems every year I say that we aren't as good as everyone on here says we are. I don't get mad at them for thinking we'll be good, but I worry about their expectations because as soon as we start losing, all I seem to read on here is vehement knee-jerk criticism of anyone in the organization they can think of. Every year I get crap and am told something to the effect that I'm not a true fan because I don't think the team is as good as everyone else does.

    I hope you're right and I'm wrong. If AD and Boogie end up working out it will be so exciting and I'll gladly admit to how wrong I was, but the chances don't seem high to me and I think it will take a new owner and a new rebuild before this team turns it around and we're still actively making moves that are detrimental to that.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •