Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: CAVS TRYING TO STEAL BOOGIE

To be clear Jrue does not have a near max deal. He left roughly 45m on the table. A max 4 year contract would have actually been almost the same amount he signed for over 5 years, 130m vs 131m he signed for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Instead of returning your name-calling, I'll assume you questioned my argument instead.

Although we want to see rainbows and unicorns, the consensus around here before Jrue's deal was basically "let him walk". From my memory most of what I saw went along the lines of something like "Pay him no more than $20M a year for 4 years". He will be making $26M for 5. Look back at the thread of when he signed. The consensus by Pels fans was who know how important this season is was "that's more than I thought he deserved but not quite as bad as I was worried for". Who is trading for that contract in a year or two? He is a negative asset unless he greatly improves at 27 or the cap greatly rises. In what world does he live up to a near-max deal? He was payed what he got because his agent knew Dell's job is on the line for this season and there was no way to acquire anyone better and this was Dell's best chance to stick around for another year or two.

In the scenario I was talking about with rebuilding, do you think you could even dump Jrue to a team on his current deal or do you think you'd have to give something up to get rid of him?

I don't know why you act so offended just because we disagree. I think the Pels are probably not making the playoffs, though I'll obviously be rooting for it. It seems every year I say that we aren't as good as everyone on here says we are. I don't get mad at them for thinking we'll be good, but I worry about their expectations because as soon as we start losing, all I seem to read on here is vehement knee-jerk criticism of anyone in the organization they can think of. Every year I get crap and am told something to the effect that I'm not a true fan because I don't think the team is as good as everyone else does.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong. If AD and Boogie end up working out it will be so exciting and I'll gladly admit to how wrong I was, but the chances don't seem high to me and I think it will take a new owner and a new rebuild before this team turns it around and we're still actively making moves that are detrimental to that.
    What name calling? You need to get out and get some sun. Beautiful day today.

I could care less what consensus on this board was. Frankly there was no consensus. If somebody found a random tweet that Jrue was about to be offered the max, then that was turned into irrefutable fact around here. The number around this crazy place bounced around on a whim. But near July 1st, consensus was near or above 30 per because well, Dell is a desperate blow hard and we are a small market that has to overpay. Then AFTER the contract was announced, people like you come in and say it shoulda been around 20 per.

If he had signed for 20, I guarantee a few emos would have come in and said it shoulda been 15.

And of course you think the Pelicans aren't making the playoffs. Of course.

Get some sun.

I think there is a big difference between a team one win from the finals and a team that hasn't won a playoff game in 7 seasons. I think the smartest thing to do is probably hope for the best at this point but that's mainly due to acquiring Boogie. If you don't resign Jrue and get a ton for AD you can try rebuilding again this summer while taking on salary for assets from desperate teams. At this point I guess it's an all-or-nothing year because as Zach Lowe and Howard Beck pointed out on Zach's latest pod, if we don't make the playoffs Boogie is probably gone, if Boogie's gone, AD probably requests a trade, at which point we get whatever we can get back from him plus Jrue on a terrible deal and a poopoo platter to rebuild around, especially since we know that our 2018 first is gone as soon as Dell can unload it. New Orleans is the NBA's smallest market with a 91 year old owner who's heirs are fighting over his estate already. I'd expect the NBA to try like hell to keep it in NOLA after the last 8 years but the scenario that playoffs this season or the franchise moves isn't outlandish to me.
    Your first sentence proves my point. There is a big difference between those 2 teams and one would think that the superstar one game away from the finals would never leave that team, but he did. None of us can prevent a player from leaving, we can put the best team on the court to try and win but the number of teams capable of winning it all are few. We are ziging while others in the league are zagging, let's enjoy the attempt. If you don't think we'll make the playoffs you're not alone in that thinking, but some of us are a little more optimistic.

Instead of returning your name-calling, I'll assume you questioned my argument instead.

Although we want to see rainbows and unicorns, the consensus around here before Jrue's deal was basically "let him walk". From my memory most of what I saw went along the lines of something like "Pay him no more than $20M a year for 4 years". He will be making $26M for 5. Look back at the thread of when he signed. The consensus by Pels fans was who know how important this season is was "that's more than I thought he deserved but not quite as bad as I was worried for". Who is trading for that contract in a year or two? He is a negative asset unless he greatly improves at 27 or the cap greatly rises. In what world does he live up to a near-max deal? He was payed what he got because his agent knew Dell's job is on the line for this season and there was no way to acquire anyone better and this was Dell's best chance to stick around for another year or two.

In the scenario I was talking about with rebuilding, do you think you could even dump Jrue to a team on his current deal or do you think you'd have to give something up to get rid of him?

I don't know why you act so offended just because we disagree. I think the Pels are probably not making the playoffs, though I'll obviously be rooting for it. It seems every year I say that we aren't as good as everyone on here says we are. I don't get mad at them for thinking we'll be good, but I worry about their expectations because as soon as we start losing, all I seem to read on here is vehement knee-jerk criticism of anyone in the organization they can think of. Every year I get crap and am told something to the effect that I'm not a true fan because I don't think the team is as good as everyone else does.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong. If AD and Boogie end up working out it will be so exciting and I'll gladly admit to how wrong I was, but the chances don't seem high to me and I think it will take a new owner and a new rebuild before this team turns it around and we're still actively making moves that are detrimental to that.
    It amazes me how after so many years you have to explain the same things to the same people. If you didn't like the direction of the team 5 years ago not sure why you feel positive about the team right now. We are still making the same mistake facing odds that don't favor us. Why should anybody who feels this way just say it's going to workout just so other people can feel good about it?

The team 5 years ago isn't the team in 2017. This team didn't have Demarcus Cousins + Anthony Davis 5 years ago. In short...wtf does your feeling of the team 5 years ago have to do with the reality of the team in 2017? Are you not able to readjust and be fluid? Or must you stubbornly stick with the emo whining until the very end?

In which you are forced to say ridiculous things like Jrue Holiday is signed to a "terrible" contract.

Basketball Guru
    can we just wait until we go 2-22 during this season until we talk about trading AD or boogie?...

This isn't the same team as 5 years ago but the same issues still remain. So while Holiday deal may not be terrible it's a negative. We need to make the playoffs in a very competitive West. Smart money believes we aren't a playoff team despite it potentially being essential to our future. Yet people are acting as if those of us who are pessimistic are just being doom and gloom for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Why are we discussing a scenario that was tweeted by a fan?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Offseason

Pure small market syndrome. If this EXACT same roster was in Chicago, or NY, or LA, the only thing being discussed right now would be which playoff seed would this team get. EXACT same roster.

But because its New Orleans, and national media will never give the team the credit or attention to detail it deserves, it trickles down to the fans. So we have this foolishness.

This message board is quit irritating to visit at times.

If this same exact roster was in the East our chances of making a strong playoff push would be greatly increased regardless of market size. This roster before losing Hill was likely the 9th best team in the West. We'll see if the team can out perform, but let's not act as if we are the odds on favorite to get a home playoff series and it's just a few of us here raining on the parade. Not sure if any bookmakers or analyst have the Pelicans in the post season.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I saw Boogie at Costco today.

Didn't go up to him and fanboy out. I have a little more self-respect than that.

Thanks for those highlights HP

I love my pelicans but if we trade boogie for shumpert and that pick Im no longer a fan and I'm done with the NBA point blank period.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I saw Boogie at Costco today.

Didn't go up to him and fanboy out. I have a little more self-respect than that.
    u just scary dude is cool u missed out

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanNation View Post
    u just scary dude is cool u missed out
    This. Eman you should have rapped some hotboys or call him whoodie or something! Lol
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

If I saw Cousins in the store better believe I'm going up to him. Not to have some long chat but just let him know he's appreciated here. Also, he seems like one of the coolest dudes to just kick it with.

Still, I can respect you for not wanting to bother the dude while he's trying to buy some water and toilet paper.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

CAVS TRYING TO STEAL BOOGIE

How can we get shumpert without moving cousins? The cavs must have tried to sell us a package of Thompson, Shumpert and the Brooklyn pick.

I think shumpert would improve the pelicans a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    How can we get shumpert without moving cousins? The cavs must have tried to sell us a package of Thompson, Shumpert and the Brooklyn pick.

I think shumpert would improve the pelicans a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Detroit out: Drummond
    Detroit in: Tristan Thompson, Asik, Brooklyn pick, Pels '18 pick

Cleveland out: Tristan Thompson, Shumpert; Brooklyn pick**
    Cleveland In: Drummond

New Orleans out: Asik, '18 pick
    New Orleans in: Shumpert

Not a good deal... I'd rather stretch Asik and keep our pick.

Also, no way Detroit can take Thompson+Asik salary.

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    Not a good deal... I'd rather stretch Asik and keep our pick.

Also, no way Detroit can take Thompson+Asik salary.
    It works in the trade machine.

Shumpert can start for us and if he has a good season, he likely will opt out and secure a longer deal after the season. It will be a good way to shed Asik deal vs having dead money sit on the books for 7 years.

Edit: We could then sign Cunningham and Diaw and we're back in business.

Rondo/Clark/Jackson
    Jrue/Crawford/Moore
    Shumpert/Miller
    AD/Diallo/Cunningham
    Cousins/Diaw/Ajinca

That's a deep roster and when Hill come back it will be even more so.
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 09-10-2017 at 08:49 AM.

Banned
    Figured I would give this topic some new life.
    DC to Cavs should we start negotiating if the ship starts sinking after the 40 game mark?

Thread Information