Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quincy Pondexter traded to Chicago

Breaking News Quincy Pondexter traded to Chicago

Last edited by thiefinthenight; 08-31-2017 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Clarification

This frees up $3.8m - might be able to give Dante another mil and sign another min contract - gonna need a SF with QP gone.

Id like to throw in Ajinca for Valentine - or Asik for Lopez - but guessing that how the call started and this is how it ended

What's in it for Chicago? Insurance money? Cash changing hands as well?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    I'm totally fine with this.

We really had to give up a 2nd rounder to get this injury off the roster

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Damn. That wangs chung.

So we're getting nothing but cap relief, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Damn. That wangs chung.

So we're getting nothing but cap relief, eh?
    I mean he hasn't played in 2 years. . .

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post
    We really had to give up a 2nd rounder to get this injury off the roster
    It says we got a second round pick.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    It says we got a second round pick.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Hate to see Q go but if it came down to trading him or cutting grits I would have done the same. Looks like it would cost several 1st rounders to dump Asik...

The Bird Writes says the Bulls mat waive Q-pon. If they waive him are we allowed to resign him after he clears waivers? If they think he can contribute they could bring him back for the minimum and have plenty to sign Dante.

I think the biggest reason we went the QPon route is it gets rid of the leverage other teams had on us since the Hill injury. They knew we were close to the hard cap and wanted to move contracts to sign more players. Every negotiation we entered into would have been greatly skewed against us.

While it sucks to have to give up a 2nd round pick to get rid of QPon, this allows us to sign other players and equalize trade negotiations some from here forward.

It also gets rid of leverage a player like Asik might have in buyout negotiations. If he knows we are trying to clear cap and are backed against the wall he has no reason to work with us on a buyout. Being able to fill out our roster without dealing with Asik gives us more leverage when dealing with him.

It was sort of a best of the worst options trading QPon, but had to be done once Hill went down.

But you guys, I was told that QPon was going to have a big year and that we were expecting him to step it up, but now everyone's okay with us shedding him? Seems inconsistent.
    Meanwhile I was arguing that he had hinted that he may not play again as recent as last season and that relying on him to even play, especially play well seemed like a stretch.
    Does this change how we feel about him playing through that injury to get us to the first round playoff series where we were swept?
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

So we will finally hear the cryptic message he had about the medical staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    But you guys, I was told that QPon was going to have a big year and that we were expecting him to step it up, but now everyone's okay with us shedding him? Seems inconsistent.
    Meanwhile I was arguing that he had hinted that he may not play again as recent as last season and that relying on him to even play, especially play well seemed like a stretch.
    Does this change how we feel about him playing through that injury to get us to the first round playoff series where we were swept?
    Well given the Hill loss, trading him makes no sense unless he is basically done. Otherwise he was the obvious choice to step up and fill the gap. But now it seems he really wasn't going to be active anyway. His career may have ended several years ago, and he's just been ghosting around tweeting like he was still part of the league.

2 open roster spots now. One for Cunningham I guess, and 1 for a replacement SF type who can actually suit up.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Well given the Hill loss, trading him makes no sense unless he is basically done. Otherwise he was the obvious choice to step up and fill the gap. But now it seems he really wasn't going to be active anyway. His career may have ended several years ago, and he's just been ghosting around tweeting like he was still part of the league.

2 open roster spots now. One for Cunningham I guess, and 1 for a replacement SF type who can actually suit up.

This really says nothing about QPon's status. If you are facing the need the rely on either QPon or Dante, you choose the guy that didn't missed the last two seasons of basketball. Every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    This really says nothing about QPon's status. If you are facing the need the rely on either QPon or Dante, you choose the guy that didn't missed the last two seasons of basketball. Every time.
    Not when the injured guy plays the exact position you need help at, and the other guy is an out of position mediocrity who you aren't even guaranteed of signing.

Dumping QPon right at the moment when you need him most is nothing less than an admission that at the very least you don't know if he would actually be there for you. Missing time would mean little if the staff was seeing him work out and look like himself in the background. If he looked healthy, he'd be the bird in the hand.

But QPon isn't the exact position we need. We need a player that can play the 3/4. QPon plays the 2/3.

We dumped QPon not because he isn't healthy but because we cannot risk the starting 3 position on a player who hasn't played a game in 2 years. They could have very well thought he is good to go but just can't take the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    But QPon isn't the exact position we need. We need a player that can play the 3/4. QPon plays the 2/3.

We dumped QPon not because he isn't healthy but because we cannot risk the starting 3 position on a player who hasn't played a game in 2 years. They could have very well thought he is good to go but just can't take the risk.
    Taking the risk is having no bodies at all. Hard to get riskier than saying, well, we have nobody, but hopefully we can sign somebody. And I mean QPon was listed at 6'7" 220. Hill at 6'7" 225. It's not like they were in different size/weight classes.

Also, given the twerpy guardline, I think the team very much does need a 2/3 type available. Jrue might be the team's biggest guard. There's nobody at all to handle the 6'6"/6'7" wings like Klay.

And again, if QPon were healthy, it would be nuts to dump him when you just lost your other SF. He can't be healthy, or at least not reliably so.

Now its 5.3mil and 2 roster spots to get 2 SFs. Maybe one 3/4 and one 2/3.
    Last edited by Bricklayer; 08-31-2017 at 06:43 PM.

Wow! I'm surprised you can get a pick for a corpse.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    So we will finally hear the cryptic message he had about the medical staff.
    It is reply for Andrew Smith's tweet of - "So.... Can you tell us now Q?".

If he asks Haynes to write about his story it might be spicy...

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    It is reply for Andrew Smith's tweet of - "So.... Can you tell us now Q?".

If he asks Haynes to write about his story it might be spicy...
    RIP Jackson's career

Thread Information