Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans work out several free agents per Woj

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    https://youtu.be/qtgOpBn_d1w

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read this thread on REAL GM

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/vie...?f=6&t=1612169

Cavs fans all bashing the hell out of him. He is trash pure and simple.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Sounds like he's perfect for us then.

Look, there's no one who won't have some huge flaw unless we get Cousins lucky again.

I think just like Samson Shumpert's power is in his hair. Grow his high top back and he will dominate.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Sounds like he's perfect for us then.

Look, there's no one who won't have some huge flaw unless we get Cousins lucky again.
    Unless we package Moore/Ajinca and our 2018 pick. While we can't get a star with that, we certainly should be able to obtain a solid starter like a Wilson Chandler.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 09-03-2017 at 03:33 PM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Unless we package Moore/Ajinca and our 2018 pick. While we can't get a star with that, we certainly should be able to obtain a solid starter like a Wilson Chandler.
    EXACTLY I'm tired of us shooting for scrubs. Let's get a quality starter.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    EXACTLY I'm tired of us shooting for scrubs. Let's get a quality starter.
    Especially given the urgency of this season. We can't afford to settle for mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Yea, but it takes two to tango. Like your example there, Denver probably wouldn't agree to that. They're competing with us for a playoff spot, and Wilson Chandler is their only true SF on the roster with Gallanari not there anymore. They're also loaded at SG, so no need for Moore and his 3 year salary, and Ajinca isn't needed. The likely late first doesn't seem like enough to close the gap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Yea, but it takes two to tango. Like your example there, Denver probably wouldn't agree to that. They're competing with us for a playoff spot, and Wilson Chandler is their only true SF on the roster with Gallanari not there anymore. They're also loaded at SG, so no need for Moore and his 3 year salary, and Ajinca isn't needed. The likely late first doesn't seem like enough to close the gap.
    I'm aware of that reality. And the fact that we haven't brought in a player via trade doesn't mean we haven't tried. What I am saying is filling in Hill's vacany via trade is the preferable avenue given the trash remaining in FA. The earlier we complete a trade, the better, given the proximity of training camp. Given the way the league overvalues draft picks and Moore's perception around the league, making a trade should be possible.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 09-03-2017 at 07:19 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    At what point do we throw years worth of picks at a team with an extra wing or two? i feel like Demps is tempted to pull that trigger for someone, but who is gettable?

At what point do we throw years worth of picks at a team with an extra wing or two? i feel like Demps is tempted to pull that trigger for someone, but who is gettable?
    That's the ultimate question. I also wonder if/how Dell's belief in Hill is limiting the number of trade targets.

Yea not many teams with extra wings they'd be willing to trade away, even for pick(s) in the 20's. Seems like at this point teams pretty much have their rosters set going into the season. Feels the most likely and best route now is to re-sign Dante to be the starter at SF, and sign another guy for the minimum, like Brandon Rush or Martell Webster.

I could see a circumstance where Memphis sends us Ennis for a salary dump so they can re-sign Green and we swap 2018 first round picks.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    I could see a circumstance where Memphis sends us Ennis for a salary dump so they can re-sign Green and we swap 2018 first round picks.
    The absurdity that such a situation is even remotely plausible when we could of signed Ennis outright and saved 12 million on Hill and been better off given the opportunity cost of extra cap space saved.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    The absurdity that such a situation is even remotely plausible when we could of signed Ennis outright and saved 12 million on Hill and been better off given the opportunity cost of extra cap space saved.
    Ennis doesn't really defend

Wes Matthews would be a good fit as fill-in SF here. And with Mavs not really competing, possibly tanking while developing D. Smith Jr., they could be open to trading Wes.

I see two main scenarios for this:

Matthews
    for
    Asik, Ajinca, Crawford, protected 1st

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yc4rc7uj

-Asik has 2 years left at ~10 mil each, with only 2-3 mil guaranteed in year 3. Could be stretched next summer if needed.
    -Ajinca has 2 years left at ~5 mil each. Decent role player, or could be re-traded or contract stretched.
    -Jordan Crawford has 1 year partially guaranteed, I think, at 1.7 mil. He scored really efficiently this past season.
    -2018 1st round pick, top 10 or lottery protected. The pearl for the Mavs trading a semi-productive player for one non-productive player and two question marks, but doesn't affect their cap since it's near the same salary with same amount of years.

Wes Matthews, the best 3 & D starter-quality SF the Pels can get while swapping out Asik's contract, and Ajinca who can be replaced by a vet min C/PF. Ian Clark signing pushed Crawford out of the rotation anyway. They still can hopefully bring back Dante Cunningham after some cap space cleared with the Pondexter deal.

Cousins / vet min
    Davis / Cunningham/ Diallo
    Matthews/ Miller
    Holiday / Moore
    Rondo / Clark

The other possibility is

Asik and E. Moore , without a 1st, but maybe a future 2nd.
    for
    Matthews

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=znfajr7

This breaks up Wes's 17 mil into two smaller deals, with Asik being stretch-worthy and possibly non-playable, but Moore being a solid all-around SG on a decent contract (but for 3 years). His defense-first mindset could be great next to D. Smith Jr. to free him up from guarding the other team's best guard, as he eases into the league.

This isn't as appealing to the Pels since Moore is a quality 6th man type who can really contribute this year, with good 3 pt. shooting and good D to go with it. And without Moore, they're one injury away from being low on guard depth. But Wes can better guard big SF's.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Wes Matthews would be a good fit as fill-in SF here. And with Mavs not really competing, possibly tanking while developing D. Smith Jr., they could be open to trading Wes.

I see two main scenarios for this:

Matthews
    for
    Asik, Ajinca, Crawford, protected 1st

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yc4rc7uj

-Asik has 2 years left at ~10 mil each, with only 2-3 mil guaranteed in year 3. Could be stretched next summer if needed.
    -Ajinca has 2 years left at ~5 mil each. Decent role player, or could be re-traded or contract stretched.
    -Jordan Crawford has 1 year partially guaranteed, I think, at 1.7 mil. He scored really efficiently this past season.
    -2018 1st round pick, top 10 or lottery protected. The pearl for the Mavs trading a semi-productive player for one non-productive player and two question marks, but doesn't affect their cap since it's near the same salary with same amount of years.

Wes Matthews, the best 3 & D starter-quality SF the Pels can get while swapping out Asik's contract, and Ajinca who can be replaced by a vet min C/PF. Ian Clark signing pushed Crawford out of the rotation anyway. They still can hopefully bring back Dante Cunningham after some cap space cleared with the Pondexter deal.

Cousins / vet min
    Davis / Cunningham/ Diallo
    Matthews/ Miller
    Holiday / Moore
    Rondo / Clark

The other possibility is

Asik and E. Moore , without a 1st, but maybe a future 2nd.
    for
    Matthews

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=znfajr7

This breaks up Wes's 17 mil into two smaller deals, with Asik being stretch-worthy and possibly non-playable, but Moore being a solid all-around SG on a decent contract (but for 3 years). His defense-first mindset could be great next to D. Smith Jr. to free him up from guarding the other team's best guard, as he eases into the league.

This isn't as appealing to the Pels since Moore is a quality 6th man type who can really contribute this year, with good 3 pt. shooting and good D to go with it. And without Moore, they're one injury away from being low on guard depth. But Wes can better guard big SF's.
    This would be great! Wish mavs would do it. Scenario 1 is the best option!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    I think they gave Cunningham the long weekend to make his choice between us and whoever. I think we'll see him sign somewhere today. If it ain't us, we'll prolly be signing one or two of these clowns mentioned in the OP. We really should be looking for a quality starter

Quote Originally Posted by Imnos 2 View Post
    I think they gave Cunningham the long weekend to make his choice between us and whoever. I think we'll see him sign somewhere today. If it ain't us, we'll prolly be signing one or two of these clowns mentioned in the OP. We really should be looking for a quality starter
    No way we would have traded Q-Pon to sign one or both of these losers.
    It has to be an upgrade on Q-Pon at the least.
    Either Cunningham or an uneven trade.

In the next few days we will have clearance and probably two new names (according to MM).

Pels want one of them to be Dante.
    Dante is visiting Minny now (with Shabazz FWIW) - Thibbs has sold him the idea of Dante's role in TWolves.
    Dante likes it even for the minimum.
    The question is: what he chooses.

In Minnesota there is crowded frontcourt (KAT, Dieng, Wiggins, Gibson, Bjelica). Also they have Butler and Crawford. And maybe Shabazz. Also Thibs likes to play his starters 35+ minutes.
    In NO - he can have extended playing time because of solo injury. And can get more money.

IMO the question is: how much Dell is willing to pay him? If it is close to 3,1 million declined option - he might prefer NO. If it is closer to the minimum - it is Minny...
    Last edited by pawel; 09-05-2017 at 06:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    In the next few days we will have clearance and probably two new names (according to MM).

Pels want one of them to be Dante.
    Dante is visiting Minny now (with Shabazz FWIW) - Thibbs has sold him the idea of Dante's role in TWolves.
    Dante likes it even for the minimum.
    The question is: what he chooses.

In Minnesota there is crowded frontcourt (KAT, Dieng, Wiggins, Gibson, Bjelica). Also they have Butler and Crawford. And maybe Shabazz. Also Thibs likes to play his starters 35+ minutes.
    In NO - he can have extended playing time because of solo injury. And can get more money.

IMO the question is: how much Dell is willing to pay him? If it is close to 3,1 million declined option - he might prefer NO. If it is closer to the minimum - it is Minny...
    Surely the Pels situation is better - more playing time and more money

If Dante wants to bet on himself, he'll sign a one year deal here. Playing in Minny will be great for wins and losses. But if he wants get the most opportunities it will be staying in NO.

But defined role is what he likes in Minnesota.
    We will see

We will see
    That narrative has seemed like such a cop out. So, if it is defined that he will ride the bench, that is what he wants? He will not get much PT in Minnesota without injuries. If it were the Warriors or Cavs, I could see him being a ring chaser and accepting that role. However, it is not and he should be focused on setting himself up for his next contract. What better way to do that than to be on the court?

We will see
    You're probably right. I think he has a real legit chance of starting with us. AD DMC DC JH and RR is better for him instead of the third or fourth guy off the bench. Should be interesting to see what he views as more valuable

Thread Information