Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans work out several free agents per Woj

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Does anyone remember the incident less than a year ago where Barnes and DeMarcus got in a fight at a night club in NY and we're both criminally investigated for it? Not a good look.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...suit/95126414/

That's why I don't think Barnes is in the picture as a possible signing at all. There's a lot invested in Cousins having a great year here so he can re-sign and build a dynasty with AD. I don't think the risk of Barnes and him together is worth his production when we can get an equally talented player without that risk history.
    I'm not saying Barnes is great or anything, but most of everyone else is utter trash. Except Shabazz perhaps but he is super inconsistent and doesn't know what defence is

I think the best options would be to re-sign Cunningham then sign Gerald Green to a vet min contract. Matt Barnes would be the next best option if he and Boogie could put the past behind them. Josh Smith, Chase Budinger, and Martell Webster didn't even play last year and would be terrible options.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    I think the best options would be to re-sign Cunningham then sign Gerald Green to a vet min contract. Matt Barnes would be the next best option if he and Boogie could put the past behind them. Josh Smith, Chase Budinger, and Martell Webster didn't even play last year and would be terrible options.
    I should point out I was assuming we re-sign DC

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Let's trade for jaylen brown. Is that even possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Let's trade for jaylen brown. Is that even possible

Move Moore to make room for Tony Allen. There must be a way to get Allen. If we added him it would be a very good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Move Moore to make room for Tony Allen. There must be a way to get Allen. If we added him it would be a very good fit.

Do you just say random stuff?
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    Do you just say random stuff?
    No. It's not random. Allen is a FA and we probably could sign him if we made more room. You disagree? Do you think it's a good idea to settle for Cunningham, if we can even get him, instead of trying to aim a little higher? We've been weak at SF for too long so I see this as an opportunity to address this problem.

Tony Allen as in the guy who can't shoot and isn't as good as he once was on D? That Tony Allen?

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    Tony Allen as in the guy who can't shoot and isn't as good as he once was on D? That Tony Allen?

6'4" Shooting Guard that can't Shoot! 35 years old. Etwaun Moore 7 yrs younger 6'4"- 37% shooting 3's. Where exactly would Allen fit in the rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    6'4" Shooting Guard that can't Shoot! 35 years old. Etwaun Moore 7 yrs younger 6'4"- 37% shooting 3's. Where exactly would Allen fit in the rotation?
    Hey, man don't ask me I'm just as what the ******** as you are about him saying that

the smart thing would be to use moore as our 3. have jrue and Crawford man the 2guard. I think moore/Cunningham should be as best as expected for our SF positional hell.

I think he was referring to THIS Tony Allen:

2010-11 2nd Team All Defense
    2011-12 1st Team All Defense
    2012-13 1st Team All Defense
    2013-14 --
    2014-15 1st Team All Defense
    2015-16 2nd Team All Defense
    2016-17 2nd Team All Defense

Although Pels fans do seem amazingly attached to scrubs and mediocrities, the idea of having people who actually excel at their jobs seems to work for the teams that actually, you know, make the playoffs every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    I think he was referring to THIS Tony Allen:

2010-11 2nd Team All Defense
    2011-12 1st Team All Defense
    2012-13 1st Team All Defense
    2013-14 --
    2014-15 1st Team All Defense
    2015-16 2nd Team All Defense
    2016-17 2nd Team All Defense

Although Pels fans do seem amazingly attached to scrubs and mediocrities, the idea of having people who actually excel at their jobs seems to work for the teams that actually, you know, make the playoffs every year.
    Really? So he's better at what then etwuan? Defense? Please he was {edited-veiled cursing} last year he made it on second team from name alone and what else does he bring? Oh that's right nothing. And you're the type of person who will ********** about spacing but wants to sign tony Allen lol makes complete sense ��

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    the smart thing would be to use moore as our 3. have jrue and Crawford man the 2guard. I think moore/Cunningham should be as best as expected for our SF positional hell.
    Moore is 6'4. Not gonna work at SF

Unless positionless basketball becomes really positionless

Really? So he's better at what then etwuan? Defense? Please he was {edited-veiled cursing} last year he made it on second team from name alone and what else does he bring? Oh that's right nothing. And you're the type of person who will ********** about spacing but wants to sign tony Allen lol makes complete sense ��

Defense, rebounding, toughness, leadership. You can play him some at SF because he's physical and tough as nails.

Here is what DRPM (Defensive Real Plus Minus per ESPN) had to say about Tony Allen vs. E'Twawn Moore on defense last year.

2016-17 Out of 94 players rated at SG:
    1) Andre Roberson 2.64
    2) Tony Allen 2.15
    3) Jimmy Butler 1.80
    64) James Harden -1.57
    65) E'Twaun Moore -1.58
    66) Ben McLemore -1.58

And in 2015-16:
    1) Danny Green 2.93
    2) Tony Allen 2.21
    3) Rondae Hollis-Jefferson 2.02
    31) E'Twaun Moore -0.44

And in 2014-15:
    1) Tony Allen 4.92
    2) Khris Middleton 4.09
    38) E'Twaun Moore -1.11

Its the difference from being borderline passable and being great.
    Last edited by Bricklayer; 09-01-2017 at 08:35 PM.

Lol, really? I don't see shooting in there. But hey you're right let's go for another guy who can't shoot and no one in the league respects his shot. So what happens when you have 2 guys on the floor who can't really shoot 5 on 3 but totally tony Allen would be amazing smh

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Lol, really? I don't see shooting in there. But hey you're right let's go for another guy who can't shoot and no one in the league respects his shot. So what happens when you have 2 guys on the floor who can't really shoot 5 on 3 but totally tony Allen would be amazing smh

You asked what he did better, he did all he could to prove that he's a better defender, and then you moved the goal posts and acted like shooting was the only important thing.

Why debate people if there's literally nothing they can do to change your mind? Just to hear yourself speak?
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    You asked what he did better, he did all he could to prove that he's a better defender, and then you moved the goal posts and acted like shooting was the only important thing.

Why debate people if there's literally nothing they can do to change your mind? Just to hear yourself speak?
    Why comment on something that has nothing to do with you. Just to hear yourself speak? See how that works?

Also I basically gave him D So I asked what else does he do better then D. And he gave me more D stats we need shooting we need offense not defense not another guy who doesn't help spacing. But hey thanks for playing 🖒
    Last edited by bahmamamba; 09-01-2017 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post

Tony Allen WAS a great defender at the Grindhouse, where the pace of play was slothlike. He WAS a great defender against #2s, not 3's. He was a great defender on a team that had other defensive minded players.
    He can't start!So,he comes off the bench as a what? A SG that can't shoot or a 6'4" SF that can guard 2nd stringers, as long as they are under 6'7"? I don't need ALLEN to do any of that! I can sign a Dunleavy or Morrow that can guard back-up 3's, but are 6'7" & 6'10 & can both shoot! Where would Allen fit on a team that wants a quick pace & 3pt shooters to spread floor for AD & Boogie? He's also closer to 40yrs old than he is to 30. No Fit at all!

Ok so I don't care about the argument of tony Allen specifically but there is something that needs to be corrected.

This height thing is 100% absolute NONSENSE. You don't go based off the person's height to say how good defensively they could be at guarding positions, you base it off of their wingspan and standing reach.

Tony Allen has a 6'9 wingspan and a 8'6 standing reach. Solomon Hill has a 6'9 wingspan and a 8'7 standing reach.

To try and argue that a play cannot guard a position that he has shown he can routinely guard in the past based off of his height is stupid. Look at his history and look at other measurements. He's proven he can guard SF. There's a reason he has always been asked to guard the hardest wing player.

Unless you plan on using your face to block the ball then height is a pretty meaningless measurement for defensive capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Ok so I don't care about the argument of tony Allen specifically but there is something that needs to be corrected.

This height thing is 100% absolute NONSENSE. You don't go based off the person's height to say how good defensively they could be at guarding positions, you base it off of their wingspan and standing reach.

Tony Allen has a 6'9 wingspan and a 8'6 standing reach. Solomon Hill has a 6'9 wingspan and a 8'7 standing reach.

To try and argue that a play cannot guard a position that he has shown he can routinely guard in the past based off of his height is stupid. Look at his history and look at other measurements. He's proven he can guard SF. There's a reason he has always been asked to guard the hardest wing player.

Unless you plan on using your face to block the ball then height is a pretty meaningless measurement for defensive capabilities.
    Weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post

You might want to scale back the Height means nothing falacy .Kelly Olynyk is 7'0" & has nubs for arms. There is Zero chance that Allen guards him on a post up. Zero!And,if a guy is 3 inches taller & a wingspan is similar or an inch or so longer than the shorter foe,his advantage is exponential. His wingspan starts from a higher position & his reach affects a shorter player much quicker coming from a higher point. So, it's NOT stupid in most folks opinions. Especially when the taller can pivot a left elbow into the jaw of the shorter player. STUPID is a mean word.

Pelicans work out several free agents per Woj

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    You might want to scale back the Height means nothing falacy .Kelly Olynyk is 7'0" & has nubs for arms. There is Zero chance that Allen guards him on a post up. Zero!And,if a guy is 3 inches taller & a wingspan is similar or an inch or so longer than the shorter foe,his advantage is exponential. His wingspan starts from a higher position & his reach affects a shorter player much quicker coming from a higher point. So, it's NOT stupid in most folks opinions. Especially when the taller can pivot a left elbow into the jaw of the shorter player. STUPID is a mean word.
    So you missed my whole part about standing reach huh? I'm not surprised. . .

You have a terrible habit of not actually reading what I'm saying and responding instead to what you think I said.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 09-02-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andynola View Post
    How much you want to bet this is happening....?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-up-in-the-nba
    This link led me to around forty minutes or so of reading about and looking up the human Barbie doll.

Thread Information