.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 148

Thread: Pelicans sign Ian Clark

  1. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    I'd still like to bring Cook back for depth. We have a lot of combo guards who i think can flourish but not a real ball handler on the bench IMO to have just in case
    Current Roster:

    AD
    Cuz
    Rondo
    Jrue
    Hill
    Grits
    Moore
    Jackson
    Diallo
    Ajinca
    Clark
    Q-Pon
    Miller
    Asik
    (Cunningham)

    14(15)

    Jones
    Cooke

    We don't really have any spots left to bring Cook back providing DC is retained unless there's trading done

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    I'd still like to bring Cook back for depth. We have a lot of combo guards who i think can flourish but not a real ball handler on the bench IMO to have just in case
    We have Jrue . He will play PG often.

  3. #53
    [QUOTE=AusPel;1429647]Current Roster:

    AD
    Cuz
    Rondo
    Jrue
    Hill
    Grits
    Moore
    Jackson
    Diallo
    Ajinca
    Clark
    Q-Pon
    Miller
    Asik
    (Cunningham)

    14(15)

    Jones
    Cooke

    We don't really have any spots left to bring Cook back providing DC is retained unless there's trading done[/QUOTE
    Dell is going to flip Q w/ possibly Ajinca to re-sign Dante & find another shooting 3-4. Morrow,Babbitt et al !

  4. #54
    I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    'Round Shreveport
    Posts
    4,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    It's a meh signing because he has only had 1 good year[...]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    He's a bench depth player who if he gets minutes over Moore and Crawford is because of injury...
    Strange to assume Clark's best year was misleading and yet have faith in Crawford to repeat his "In half a season I'm gonna shoot 10% higher from everywhere than I ever have"
    Last edited by Mr. West; 08-02-2017 at 10:49 AM.
    @DanielVeuleman

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    If Clark would have signed a 5-6 mill per year with another team 4 weeks ago, we would be saying "why didn't we try to get him" That team got a good deal. So, because it's a 4 weeks later in the process & we got a good deal, you are basing how Clark will perform based on pay? Huh! Why hasn't anybody in the NBA said peep about Dante? He is definitely worth MLE $$$. Your time & pricetag judgment is specious. It sounds normal, but it ain't right.
    No I wouldn't. I would have looked at it as a long list of yet another player who got overpaid. If you haven't noticed none of GS' free agents got big money from another team, because other teams aren't trusting that these players will look as good not surrounded by 4 All Stars. Ian Clark showed nothing that would warrant him getting the full MLE. He signed a minimum deal which is what he's worth. He is a shooting who has only shot good 1 season while playing in the best offense in the entire league. I fully expect him to regress in our system. But again, that's ok because he's a depth signing.

    People need to see this clear: I'm not upset with the signing, it's a fine depth signing. But no one should be pounding there chest and no one should be saying "Where are the Dell Haters at now?" Over Ian freaking Clark signing here. My point is there is a reason he was available a month into free agency and signed a minimum deal and it's not because he's an awesome player, it's because he's not a needle mover. This forum hates our own players but loves other teams bench scrubs it's crazy.

    As far as Dante goes there's a couple key differences between Ian Clark and Dante Cunningham. 1) He's played about 4-5x as many NBA minutes as Ian Clark. He has proved himself worthy of being useful not just on the most loaded team in the NBA but with average teams. We know what we are getting with Cunningham so we can evaluate how good of a deal it is based on not just 1 season in the best offense in the league but multiple seasons with us. 2) The Pelicans clearly have something in the works with him. We haven't heard about him talking to any other teams or any rumors about him at all. We also haven't heard any rumors of us looking at any front court depth in free agency, a place we are extremely thin at. GS just let Ian Clark walk. 3) We don't know what Cunningham will sign for. We can judge the deal once it drops.

  6. #56

    Pelicans sign Ian Clark

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Strange to assume Clark's best year was misleading and yet have faith in Crawford to repeat his "In half a season I'm gonna shoot 10% higher from everywhere than I ever have"
    Where did I say Crawford is going to continue to shoot as good as he did last year? He's behind Crawford because I see Crawford running the point in our 2nd unit. He's behind Moore because Moore is just better.

  7. #57
    I think Clark will do better than some newbies did last year because he's already familiar with the system Gentry wants to run.

  8. #58
    The Franchise
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kaplan, LA
    Posts
    1,410
    I think that Crawford gets a little too much love. He's a volume shooter that I think had a very good year but I'm not sure if his defense is that good. I think the signing Clark has significance to both Moore and Crawford especially if Crawford has value across the league. I've always thought Dell should move these guys when they have some value even though we got them for nothing.

    I like the big combo guard approach to our guards. Lots of ball handlers/shooters can only be a good thing especially if our offense is going through our bigs. I'd say go grab vucevich (have to move Asik and Ajinca) then we could always have a good scoring big on the floor at all times

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Where did I say Crawford is going to continue to shoot as good as he did last year? He's behind Crawford because I see Crawford running the point in our 2nd unit. He's behind Moore because Moore is just better.
    I think Crawford and Clark may just split PG duties with the second team. They both are really combo guards. Actually, we only have 1 true point guard (Rondo) and 5 combo guards (Holiday, Clark, Moore, Crawford, and Jackson). To me, it seems like the plan was to have interchangeable guards, fowards (Hill, Cunningham, and some ways miller can play the 3 and 4) and big men (Diallo, Boogie, and AD can play 4 and 5).

  10. #60
    I like him for 18min a game at PG on the floor with Crawford and Diallo

  11. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    No I wouldn't. I would have looked at it as a long list of yet another player who got overpaid. If you haven't noticed none of GS' free agents got big money from another team, because other teams aren't trusting that these players will look as good not surrounded by 4 All Stars. Ian Clark showed nothing that would warrant him getting the full MLE. He signed a minimum deal which is what he's worth. He is a shooting who has only shot good 1 season while playing in the best offense in the entire league. I fully expect him to regress in our system. But again, that's ok because he's a depth signing.

    People need to see this clear: I'm not upset with the signing, it's a fine depth signing. But no one should be pounding there chest and no one should be saying "Where are the Dell Haters at now?" Over Ian freaking Clark signing here. My point is there is a reason he was available a month into free agency and signed a minimum deal and it's not because he's an awesome player, it's because he's not a needle mover. This forum hates our own players but loves other teams bench scrubs it's crazy.

    As far as Dante goes there's a couple key differences between Ian Clark and Dante Cunningham. 1) He's played about 4-5x as many NBA minutes as Ian Clark. He has proved himself worthy of being useful not just on the most loaded team in the NBA but with average teams. We know what we are getting with Cunningham so we can evaluate how good of a deal it is based on not just 1 season in the best offense in the league but multiple seasons with us. 2) The Pelicans clearly have something in the works with him. We haven't heard about him talking to any other teams or any rumors about him at all. We also haven't heard any rumors of us looking at any front court depth in free agency, a place we are extremely thin at. GS just let Ian Clark walk. 3) We don't know what Cunningham will sign for. We can judge the deal once it drops.
    I didn't realize that you had the inside scoop on Dante. My bad, I guess.

  12. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    I think Crawford and Clark may just split PG duties with the second team. They both are really combo guards. Actually, we only have 1 true point guard (Rondo) and 5 combo guards (Holiday, Clark, Moore, Crawford, and Jackson). To me, it seems like the plan was to have interchangeable guards, fowards (Hill, Cunningham, and some ways miller can play the 3 and 4) and big men (Diallo, Boogie, and AD can play 4 and 5).
    Jrue will eat some minutes at PG .

  13. #63
    Don't forget that we are going to be running the offense through boogie a lot. Probably some of the reason we onlt have one pure PG.

  14. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    I didn't realize that you had the inside scoop on Dante. My bad, I guess.
    It's not an inside scoop to just be logic. Although that seems to be a quality most lack.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 08-02-2017 at 02:07 PM.

  15. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    I think Crawford and Clark may just split PG duties with the second team. They both are really combo guards. Actually, we only have 1 true point guard (Rondo) and 5 combo guards (Holiday, Clark, Moore, Crawford, and Jackson). To me, it seems like the plan was to have interchangeable guards, fowards (Hill, Cunningham, and some ways miller can play the 3 and 4) and big men (Diallo, Boogie, and AD can play 4 and 5).
    Clark isn't a PG at all. If anyone splits time with Crawford at PG it would be Moore. That's assuming Jrue doesn't absorb a good bit of those minutes himself.

  16. #66
    Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    3,263
    Jrue/Rondo will be as Brow/Boogie.
    Likely one of the 2 will always be oncourt.

  17. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    Jrue/Rondo will be as Brow/Boogie.
    Likely one of the 2 will always be oncourt.
    I see this as 100% true....There will be a time maybe early 2nd quarter or late 3rd/early 4th where all 4 are not on the court to give them rest to finish the game all together. I can live with only 5 minutes a game one of those 4 are not on the court.

  18. #68
    It doesn't matter whether Clark, Crawford, or Moore can handle "traditional" backup PG duties. If they are ever on the floor without Rondo/Holiday, then Cousins will be on the floor and we'll run the offense through him. Clark and Moore are both capable of at least dribbling the ball past the half court line as well as guarding opposing backup point guards, and thats what is really necessary with the way this team is constructed. Pels now appear to be solid at guard, and can even withstand an injury or two; this is something that couldn't have been said for any Pels team since the rebrand.

  19. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    It's not an inside scoop to just be logic. Although that seems to be a quality most lack.
    So, are you questioning my logic or are you questioning Demps logic? I feel as though it's quite logical on my part to question Demp's Logic. So, do you feel it's logical for you to trust Demp's logic ? Ipso facto.
    Last edited by Tinman; 08-02-2017 at 03:09 PM.

  20. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Clark isn't a PG at all. If anyone splits time with Crawford at PG it would be Moore. That's assuming Jrue doesn't absorb a good bit of those minutes himself.
    There is NO WAY Moore can play point! I would rather Solo . Moore is GOD awful at point.

  21. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    There is NO WAY Moore can play point! I would rather Solo . Moore is GOD awful at point.
    Referring to what I said previously, this team has 2 of the most skilled big men in recent NBA history. Traditional positions are thrown out of the window, especially backup positions. Sure, if the pelicans were running out a lineup of Moore, Crawford, Clark, Cunningham, Diallo then the Pels may be in trouble at "backup point guard," but we will never see a lineup where none of Rondo, Jrue, AD, or Cousins are off the floor. We probably won't ever see a lineup where one of Rondo, Jrue, or Cousins are off the floor. If thats the case, which it almost definitely is, then pretty much any guard could be considered the backup point.

  22. #72
    The Franchise PolishFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    1,962
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    If Dell signed Ian Clark to this deal on July 1st, after trading away that back up PG whose name I can't recall, I think most people on this board would be doing back flips and slapping Dell on the buns. He signs him on August 1st and it feels like "meh" to some people. Whatever. This is a good move. He's 26 and has the skills to be a good player in our system. He fits very well and gives us options and flexibility.
    This is exactly what I think too. If we found out on July 1st that we were signing Rondo for 3mil and Clark for minimum everybody would be praising Dell. I really like these two signings.

  23. #73
    The Franchise PolishFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    1,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    It's not an inside scoop to just be logic. Although that seems to be a quality most lack.
    Man you are slowly becoming MM.

  24. #74
    The Franchise PolishFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    1,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    There is NO WAY Moore can play point! I would rather Solo . Moore is GOD awful at point.

    I agree with this. Moore has never shown any playmaking abilities; however, Solo has done that many times. I am a Solo believer

  25. #75

    Pelicans sign Ian Clark

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    So, are you questioning my logic or are you questioning Demps logic? I feel as though it's quite logical on my part to question Demp's Logic. So, do you feel it's logical for you to trust Demp's logic ? Ipso facto.
    I'm saying you do not need to have inside information of Cunningham if you just think logically.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 08-02-2017 at 04:02 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •