Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans sign Ian Clark

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    If Dell signed Ian Clark to this deal on July 1st, after trading away that back up PG whose name I can't recall, I think most people on this board would be doing back flips and slapping Dell on the buns. He signs him on August 1st and it feels like "meh" to some people. Whatever. This is a good move. He's 26 and has the skills to be a good player in our system. He fits very well and gives us options and flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Yeaaa~! Where all the Dell haters now
    Last edited by AusPel; 08-01-2017 at 10:15 PM.

Reading that we signed him on a min deal too? Easily an A+ deal.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    If Dell signed Ian Clark to this deal on July 1st, after trading away that back up PG whose name I can't recall, I think most people on this board would be doing back flips and slapping Dell on the buns. He signs him on August 1st and it feels like "meh" to some people. Whatever. This is a good move. He's 26 and has the skills to be a good player in our system. He fits very well and gives us options and flexibility.
    Seriously. Dude IMO is like gonna be a Great Value version of Gary Harris for us, espically for Finch and his system. How can anyone meh at this signing ? The truth is with our cap we had NO Chance to sign a player of his caliber and we just did. We should all be pretty stocked with this.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    You'd be surprised what some people think.

Got some guys insisting that Rondo isn't even better than Tim Frazier.

I mean, you can say he regressed, whatever. But doesn't do anything better than Tim Frazier is just willfully ignorant.

Basketball Guru
    maybe we can do a 3 team trade where mello goes to houston,,,,ariza come to us,,,,,the knicks get moore and our 1st and other stuff.....

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Reading that we signed him on a min deal too? Easily an A+ deal.
    1.6 mil

It's a meh signing because he has only had 1 good year playing for the Warriors and even that year was not earth shattering. He put up 6.8 points, 1.6 rebounds, and 1.2 assists a game. These were his career high numbers while playing in the best offense in the league.

There is a reason he was still available on August 1st and signed for a minimum deal with us. It's a low risk move, and its quality depth on the cheap so I don't think anyone should be upset at all with it but neither should anyone be expecting much of anything from him either.

Pelicans sign Ian Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    I bet he plays the back up point guard spot. I wonder what are they going to do with Moore? He seems like the odd man out with Rondo, Holiday, Grits, Clark, and the rookie Frank Jackson.
    His assist % last year was the same as Anthony Davis. Out of all of our "combo" guards he would have ranked last in assist %. He is a SG thru and thru.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Mythrol - he averaged that in 14 mins. His per 40 is really impressive: something like 16.5 pts a game. People keep mentioning that it was only last year that he stood out. So what? You are only as good as your last year, and at 26, he seems to be finding himself. Furthermore, he did what he did with GS!! He showed that he can play with the big boys at a high level. A+ signing all things considered!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    Mythrol - he averaged that in 14 mins. His per 40 is really impressive: something like 16.5 pts a game. People keep mentioning that it was only last year that he stood out. So what? You are only as good as your last year, and at 26, he seems to be finding himself. Furthermore, he did what he did with GS!! He showed that he can play with the big boys at a high level. A+ signing all things considered!!!
    If he plays 40 minutes in a single game for us then something has seriously went wrong.

He's a bench depth player who if he gets minutes over Moore and Crawford is because of injury. I'm glad to have him for depth, especially on the cheap, but people need a serious reality check about what we just signed. He was available for the league minimum a month after free agency started.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    If he plays 40 minutes in a single game for us then something has seriously went wrong.

He's a bench depth player who if he gets minutes over Moore and Crawford is because of injury. I'm glad to have him for depth, especially on the cheap, but people need a serious reality check about what we just signed. He was available for the league minimum a month after free agency started.
    He played 15 minutes per game on possibly the greatest team in NBA history. Im not sure why we should have more confidence Crawford at this point than Clark, considering they put up similar percentages and Clark did it over the course of a season. Clark also provides far superior defense and a higher IQ. We don't know why Clark took the minimum, but if I had to guess, he probably had more money on the table elsewhere but decided if he was betting on himself for a one year deal, this was the perfect fit. Its also probably safe to assume that the Pels told him he'll see an increase in playing time and I think its warranted. All of that said, I don't thin Crawford regresses all that much, but I think last years Clark is still a better player than last years Crawford.

With the amount of talent we now have at guard, it will be interesting to see if the Pels play Hill more at the backup 4. Hill at the 4 when Rondo is at the point could be a nice fit, since Hill's main deficiencies are shooting and rebounding. At 4, his 3 point shooting is above average and Rondo can make up for his slack at rebounding. A 5 man unit of Rondo-Crawford-Miller-Hill-Cousins is pretty intriguing.

One final thought, Finch talked about how he wants the Pelicans to be a great transition team, and from everything I've seen Clark appears to be a smart transition player and a decent transition finisher. He also is coming from a team and a system that excels in that category. Would expect the next player we bring in to have similar traits.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    He played 15 minutes per game on possibly the greatest team in NBA history. Im not sure why we should have more confidence Crawford at this point than Clark, considering they put up similar percentages and Clark did it over the course of a season. Clark also provides far superior defense and a higher IQ. We don't know why Clark took the minimum, but if I had to guess, he probably had more money on the table elsewhere but decided if he was betting on himself for a one year deal, this was the perfect fit. Its also probably safe to assume that the Pels told him he'll see an increase in playing time and I think its warranted. All of that said, I don't thin Crawford regresses all that much, but I think last years Clark is still a better player than last years Crawford.

With the amount of talent we now have at guard, it will be interesting to see if the Pels play Hill more at the backup 4. Hill at the 4 when Rondo is at the point could be a nice fit, since Hill's main deficiencies are shooting and rebounding. At 4, his 3 point shooting is above average and Rondo can make up for his slack at rebounding. A 5 man unit of Rondo-Crawford-Miller-Hill-Cousins is pretty intriguing.

One final thought, Finch talked about how he wants the Pelicans to be a great transition team, and from everything I've seen Clark appears to be a smart transition player and a decent transition finisher. He also is coming from a team and a system that excels in that category. Would expect the next player we bring in to have similar traits.
    It's actually a FACT he had more money on the table with other teams. I'm not complaining or trying to reason why he signed with us, I'm estatic lol.

Really solid get for the Pels. Clark was probably the last remaining FA I was excited about because he checks a lot of boxes for us: shooting, guards multiple positions, IQ, played in a system that emphasized cutting and off ball actions, winner, etc.

I'm looking forward to seeing him contribute. We should see a lot of 3-guard lineups next season.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

You guys are expecting that Dell is betting on another career March/April from Crawford?

March/April when amazing happens?
    I fully expect Crawford to fall in the rotation order.

He should have his role. Dont get me wrong.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    What would you guys think of a Ajinca-Qpon for J. Okafor trade? It would:

Give us an upgrade over AA off the bench

Give us a relief from the logjam of guards we got. (Kinda hate to see Qpon go tbh)

Save us some money to sign Cunningham

Prolly be a straight up trade or at worst incur a second round pick. They have been trying to move JO for a minute

JO is a better tradeable asset next offseason on an expiring contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnos 2 View Post
    What would you guys think of a Ajinca-Qpon for J. Okafor trade? It would:

Give us an upgrade over AA off the bench

Give us a relief from the logjam of guards we got. (Kinda hate to see Qpon go tbh)

Save us some money to sign Cunningham

Prolly be a straight up trade or at worst incur a second round pick. They have been trying to move JO for a minute

JO is a better tradeable asset next offseason on an expiring contract.
    I wouldn't be against it. Depends if Q-Pon can still play. If he outplays Hill then no.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    It's a meh signing because he has only had 1 good year playing for the Warriors and even that year was not earth shattering. He put up 6.8 points, 1.6 rebounds, and 1.2 assists a game. These were his career high numbers while playing in the best offense in the league.

There is a reason he was still available on August 1st and signed for a minimum deal with us. It's a low risk move, and its quality depth on the cheap so I don't think anyone should be upset at all with it but neither should anyone be expecting much of anything from him either.
    If Clark would have signed a 5-6 mill per year with another team 4 weeks ago, we would be saying "why didn't we try to get him" That team got a good deal. So, because it's a 4 weeks later in the process & we got a good deal, you are basing how Clark will perform based on pay? Huh! Why hasn't anybody in the NBA said peep about Dante? He is definitely worth MLE $$$. Your time & pricetag judgment is specious. It sounds normal, but it ain't right.

E'twaun Moore was put in at SF many times last season in a "small ball"/3 guard lineup. Wouldn't surprise me to see Clark/Moore/Crawford on the floor at once.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Awesome signing.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    He is another combo / SG. We have to assume another move is coming. We are loaded with guys that play off the ball.
    Preferably a wing

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    Nice addition. There's our backup PG.
    I doubt he's going to play much point.

Quote Originally Posted by R Pelly View Post
    E'twaun Moore was put in at SF many times last season in a "small ball"/3 guard lineup. Wouldn't surprise me to see Clark/Moore/Crawford on the floor at once.

I'm not saying Grits should be penciled in at backup PG, but with this current roster, it could be his role. Even though Brad Stevens is a wizard and his system helped this tremendously, people forget Crawford averaged 6 assists/game when he started for BOS. A/T ratio was 2.6 - better than Jrue's career mark.

Perspective...

Ian Clark played in 77 games and played 1137 minutes, which averages out to about 15 mins per game.

In those 15 mins he averaged 6.84 PPG. Not great but consider the team he played on... he wasn't asked to be the scorer.

His PER 36 is:

G: 77
    GS: 0
    MP: 1137
    FG: 6.7
    FGA: 13.7
    FG%: .487
    3P: 1.9
    3PA: 5.2
    3P%: .374
    2P: 4.7
    2PA: 8.5
    2P%: .556
    FT: 1.4
    FTA: 1.8
    FT%: .759
    ORB: 0.7
    DRB: 3.1
    TRB: 3.8
    AST: 2.8
    STL: 1.2
    BLK: 0.3
    TOV: 1.7
    PF: 2.4
    PTS: 16.7

He'll get more time on the floor, so we'll be able to judge this signing later in the season when we see him out there more. If he can give us these numbers I'd say its a great signing.
    Last edited by DroopyDawg; 08-02-2017 at 08:46 AM.

I'd still like to bring Cook back for depth. We have a lot of combo guards who i think can flourish but not a real ball handler on the bench IMO to have just in case

Thread Information