Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Pelicans sign Ian Clark

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Here's the 3 team trade for rockets getting melo. Can demps pull this off and would you do this? Could you?

ROCKETS GET MELO AND QPON

KNICKS GET RYAN ANDERSON, Omar Asik and Pelicans 2018 first, and Clint Capela and a rockets 1st rounder.

PELICANS get: Trevor Ariza

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rockets not trading Capela. That's a bad deal for the Knicks too, having to take on Omer and Ryan's contracts

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Here's the 3 team trade for rockets getting melo. Can demps pull this off and would you do this? Could you?

ROCKETS GET MELO AND QPON

KNICKS GET RYAN ANDERSON, Omar Asik and Pelicans 2018 first, and Clint Capela and a rockets 1st rounder.

PELICANS get: Trevor Ariza

I would rather eat Asiks contract this year than give up a 1st for Ariza. Trading Q-Pon to retain Dante is a better solution than giving up a 1 for Ariza.

I feel like Ajinca will be flipped to make room for Dante and we will sign Diaw to the minimum. At least that's my hope lol

What number he gonna wear? 21 taken now!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    2017-2018 Finals MVP: Jrue Holiday

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I feel like Ajinca will be flipped to make room for Dante and we will sign Diaw to the minimum. At least that's my hope lol

Would be awesome to add Diaw. I just met him a few months ago on our film set. He knew our camera op and stopped by for a minute.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Adding Diaw and Cunningham would give us a weird mixture of super deep at guard and bigs but super thin on the wings.
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Adding Diaw and Cunningham would give us a weird mixture of super deep at guard and bigs but super thin on the wings.
    Having Hill, Miller, Cunningham and MAYBE QPON would be super thin?

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    Having Hill, Miller, Cunningham and MAYBE QPON would be super thin?
    Yes because outside of Cunningham they're all pretty bad, and Cunningham would play mostly ad a power I'd assume.

Yes because outside of Cunningham they're all pretty bad, and Cunningham would play mostly ad a power I'd assume.
    I don't know how you can say that when you haven't seen Miller or QPon in multiple years.

Miller for example has shot over 40% from 3pt every year he's been in Europe. Last season he attempted 5 3pt shots a game and shot 41% on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I don't know how you can say that when you haven't seen Miller or QPon in multiple years.

Miller for example has shot over 40% from 3pt every year he's been in Europe. Last season he attempted 5 3pt shots a game and shot 41% on them.
    The short answer would be 'why would I assume anything different when neither has played NBA ball in 2 years'?

The long answer would be that guys like Qpon hardly ever return to the level they were pre injury after missing 2 straight years with the same ailment. Add in the fact that his half year with us was the best year of his career by far (this making it susceptible to being an outlier anyway) and I'll just say my hopes aren't high for him. But hey, low expectations are easiest to break, right? Let's just get him on the court.

Miller has a better case. I like his shooting and size. Hopefully it translates over to this level of competition, but lots of guys go to Germany and China and anywhere else and don't pan out here. Dell has had success bringing guys like Ajinca and Babbitt back for a second try after their initial NBA careers fell off. And I think that's a realistic goal for Miller. But we look at Ajinca, a guy we all hope Diallo passes in the rotation, and Babbitt, who we let walk with no qualms, and if Miller levels out there... is he really any better than what I described?

Hopefully I'm wrong. Hopefully Miller knocks down 5 3's a game and plays great D while Pondexter reclaims his former glory. But until I'm proven wrong, I feel pretty comfortable in saying that we are thin on quality wings.

So your answer is, "I don't know what they will be so I will call them trash without any evidence."

Hill is not as bad as some here consider him to be. Dude plays great defense, is smart and has nice playmaking skills. If he becomes a more consistent three point shooter (I hope he is dedicating this offseason to that) he will be a very good fit for this team.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I would like that. We would have even more playmaking.

So your answer is, "I don't know what they will be so I will call them trash without any evidence."
    Lol yes, exactly. Trash = Pretty Bad.

I based my assumptions off of prior events and evidence AND left myself open saying I'd love to be wrong. You didn't like what you read so you put words in my mouth.

No offense to you but I'm not going to waste my breath if you're just going to try to throw things I didn't say in my face, Myth. That ain't debate.

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    Hill is not as bad as some here consider him to be. Dude plays great defense, is smart and has nice playmaking skills. If he becomes a more consistent three point shooter (I hope he is dedicating this offseason to that) he will be a very good fit for this team.
    Solo was a huge reason our D was solid this past year, but I don't think his plus D outweighs his negative O. Thus, pretty bad. Imo, of course.
    Last edited by Mr. West; 08-06-2017 at 01:02 PM.

You can be a pretty bad player, but a pretty good fit.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Lol yes, exactly. Trash = Pretty Bad.

I based my assumptions off of prior events and evidence AND left myself open saying I'd love to be wrong. You didn't like what you read so you put words in my mouth.

No offense to you but I'm not going to waste my breath if you're just going to try to throw things I didn't say in my face, Myth. That ain't debate.

Solo was a huge reason our D was solid this past year, but I don't think his plus D outweighs his negative O. Thus, pretty bad. Imo, of course.
    Yes, I consider pretty bad as trash. Is there ever a time pretty bad is good? Not in my book.

And no you clearly aren't judging them off of "prior evidence" because Miller's past evidence is 2 years in Europe playing on a championship team where he shot over 40% from 3 and last year averaged 5 3pt shots a game.

Qpon's "prior evidence" is he is a career 37% 3pt shooter. Last time he was on the court for us he averaged nearly 4 3pt shots a game and shot 42% on them.

Now you could say you wonder if Miller's success will translate to the NBA and you could say you wonder if Qpon can return to form after missing time with his injuries, but don't sit here and say you calling them pretty bad is based off of past evidence because their past evidence says they were actually pretty good, especially for the role we would be asking of them.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Yes, I consider pretty bad as trash. Is there ever a time pretty bad is good? Not in my book.

And no you clearly aren't judging them off of "prior evidence" because Miller's past evidence is 2 years in Europe playing on a championship team where he shot over 40% from 3 and last year averaged 5 3pt shots a game.

Qpon's "prior evidence" is he is a career 37% 3pt shooter. Last time he was on the court for us he averaged nearly 4 3pt shots a game and shot 42% on them.

Now you could say you wonder if Miller's success will translate to the NBA and you could say you wonder if Qpon can return to form after missing time with his injuries, but don't sit here and say you calling them pretty bad is based off of past evidence because their past evidence says they were actually pretty good, especially for the role we would be asking of them.
    I have to say that adding Miller was a very good move. He is an NBA level quality player. Watch. We will have amazing ball movement with Rondo, Cousins and Jrue facilitating. Guys like Miller, Crawford, Clark and hopefully a healthy Qpon will all be getting open 3point shots. Hill is probably going to be more consistent hitting 3s.

This team is building incredible chemistry. Remember when the saints won the Super Bowl? Fans knew before the season started that we had a possibly championship level team. This is the same thing. We have the pieces. GSW is pretty much invincible but if anyone has a chance to beat them it's us. Sounds grandiose? The key is to force teams to play OUR game. This is exciting. We will be so dominating with AD and Cousins it's going to be SICK!!! I'm so convinced that this squad has what it takes. There are a few teams that have players that are unstoppable... GSW, HOU, possibly MIN, Celtics, SAS etc. the PELICANS have 4 all stars in the starting lineup. Yeah Jrue and Rondo may not be all stars this season but both made all star and Rondo has accomplished a lot in his career. We have a BRUTAL starting 5. Rondo is in a great position playing with AD and Jrue. He's already played with cousins. These personalities balance each other out. We will be much better this year. We will demoralize the league. I want Dante to return, we need depth in front court. I do think Ajinca should get minutes but I hope we see Diallo emerge as a legit PF, C role player. The potential is HUGE for this team. So much is at stake. IF everyone is healthy and we see these players do what they do best this team will be a CONTENDER. We have everything it takes to do it. Superstars, leadership, higher bbiq, great shooters, great defense, great facilitators. Demps is playing the long game. I still trust Demps and I trust Gentry. I think we will be better than the rockets and the Spurs. Teams like Minny and Denver will be very tough this season. We will see some changes in power rankings and playoff positions. I expect the pels to be a top 5 team this year.

Oh okay. You're caught up on semantics. Let me help and be more clear: in my opinion pretty bad is better than trash. Aka, below average role players, whereas trash in my mind is like not NBA level. Hope that helps.

I compared Miller to two signings very similar in nature, of guys WE signed who had busted in their first stints in the NBA and then played eh for us in Babbitt and Ajinca. I think those are reasonable expectations. If you want to project Miller's success overseas as an indication for NBA success, you have every right to do that. But it's a guess. And Jimmer' s agent would like a word.

Pondexter was very good for us. Feel free to find where I claimed otherwise. However, his knee issue has stuck around for two years. Finding guys who missed 2 consecutive years with multiple surgeries on a load bearing joint is hard. Hes hurt. I think it's fair to be skeptical of his ability to produce.

Dont tell me what I can do

Listen Myth, I appreciate you giving me something to respond to this time. It was an educated and well thought out post. We can debate how good Miller might be and how solid Qpon looks in his old YouTube highlights but it boils down to one thing: I've got a pessimistic view in regards to our wings and you've got an optimistic view. And frankly... I don't care lol. The season is months away and by the time one of us is proved "right" (despite me wanting to be "wrong") this'll be so far from my mind it's wild.
    Last edited by Mr. West; 08-07-2017 at 12:33 PM.

The short answer would be 'why would I assume anything different when neither has played NBA ball in 2 years'?

The long answer would be that guys like Qpon hardly ever return to the level they were pre injury after missing 2 straight years with the same ailment. Add in the fact that his half year with us was the best year of his career by far (this making it susceptible to being an outlier anyway) and I'll just say my hopes aren't high for him. But hey, low expectations are easiest to break, right? Let's just get him on the court.
    Qpon's half year the playoff year wasn't his best "by far". He played just as well in Memphis before being injured there.

Oh okay. You're caught up on semantics. Let me help and be more clear: in my opinion pretty bad is better than trash. Aka, below average role players, whereas trash in my mind is like not NBA level. Hope that helps.

I compared Miller to two signings very similar in nature, of guys WE signed who had busted in their first stints in the NBA and then played eh for us in Babbitt and Ajinca. I think those are reasonable expectations. If you want to project Miller's success overseas as an indication for NBA success, you have every right to do that. But it's a guess. And Jimmer' s agent would like a word.

Pondexter was very good for us. Feel free to find where I claimed otherwise. However, his knee issue has stuck around for two years. Finding guys who missed 2 consecutive years with multiple surgeries on a load bearing joint is hard. Hes hurt. I think it's fair to be skeptical of his ability to produce.

Dont tell me what I can do

Listen Myth, I appreciate you giving me something to respond to this time. It was an educated and well thought out post. We can debate how good Miller might be and how solid Qpon looks in his old YouTube highlights but it boils down to one thing: I've got a pessimistic view in regards to our wings and you've got an optimistic view. And frankly... I don't care lol. The season is months away and by the time one of us is proved "right" (despite me wanting to be "wrong") this'll be so far from my mind it's wild.
    It's fine to be skeptical, it's different to judge a player based on "prior evidence" when the past evidence is in direct contradiction of your assement of them being "pretty bad", especially for their role they will have on our team.

If you had just said it was your opinion as opposed to try and hide behind "prior evidence" and pretend it was factually based then I would have just written you off as being what you are, pessimistic.

And to be clear, I'm not any way about our wings. I don't know how Miller will do or Qpon or Hill buy if we were to look at prior evidence to judge them then it would certainly be a positive not a negative.

All-Star
    Ian Clark had 36 points vs Spurs with 15-21 shooting , 3-3 in T3

Quote Originally Posted by IVICP3 View Post
    Ian Clark had 36 points vs Spurs with 15-21 shooting , 3-3 in T3
    Yeah it was a good performance but it was bench v bench really

Pelicans sign Ian Clark

I hope Ian Clark does well for us. If we don't bring in another 3/4 we will probably have to run a lot of 3 guard lineups.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 08-30-2017 at 01:07 PM.

Thread Information