Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quinn Cook and Axel Toupan Waived

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    They wanted to sign Jalen Jones.

We've got guards,
    but we're just a bunch of Pelicans with no wings.
    Jones is likely a non-guaranteed camp invite, so he would have no effect on Cook. Must be either a trade coming or creates enough space to re-sign Cunningham.

What?!?! It doesn't make any sense to cut Quinn Cook. I know we have Rondo & Jrue to handle point guard duties, but with Jrue likely playing a lot at shooting guard we need another point guard. Besides Diallo, Cook was one of the more impressive players in summer league. Then it looks like we cut him to give Jalen Jones a shot. We have Solomon Hill, Quincy Pondexter, Darius Miller, and Jalen Jones fighting for the small forward spots, but only have Rajon Rondo, Jrue Holiday, and I guess Frank Jackson available to run the point. I guess they see Jrue Holiday, Frank Jackson and Etwaun Moore as combo guards that can run the show. Unless we bring in another point guard, this move makes absolutely no sense IMO.

We've got guards,
    We got SG's but with Rondo and Jrue starting we dont have a back up PG. I thought Cook looked decent and I would think he should be more valuable than Jones. If we sign Dante then with Miller we will have two back up SF and no back up PG.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Michael Jordan Crawford is a better playmaker than Moore
    Yes he is. He showed some nice passes last season

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    That's really counting on your rookie to be a solid contributor out the gate.

We've got guards,
    Hardy Har Har

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I understand that we got a good number of guards, but relying on Frank Jackson is far too risky and can bite us in the end.

I'd stick him in the D-League for the majority of the season, sort of how we handled Diallo. Cook belongs in the NBA.

Maybe just maybe Dell will upgrade the backup pg position. A few guys on the market ready to contribute now. Ian Clark, Lawson and others. If he can't upgrade the position Cook can be brought back. But Dell is definitely not done trying to improve this team.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Very strange. I'll be interested to see if they attempt to bring in a more established player for backup point.
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by 23speedkillz View Post
    Maybe just maybe Dell will upgrade the backup pg position. A few guys on the market ready to contribute now. Ian Clark, Lawson and others. If he can't upgrade the position Cook can be brought back. But Dell is definitely not done trying to improve this team.
    Right, Isaiah Canaan is another solid, vet min option out there who isn't mentioned much, and he has chemistry with Rondo from last season. And just saw that he's from Biloxi, Mississippi
    Last edited by Rheem654; 07-25-2017 at 06:57 PM.

Lawson

Quote Originally Posted by bustahyndes View Post
    Lawson
    I like how you think.

Cook was a nice option but we never know what's going on behind the scenes so we cant judge just have faith in the FO. We have too many small pgs/sg (Rondo,Jrue,Craw, Jackson) we need wings
    Last edited by PelicanNation; 07-25-2017 at 07:55 PM.

We have Jrue, Rondo, Moore, Jackson, Crawford that can all play guard.

We also have Miller and QPon (rip) who are SG/SFs. Let's not forget that time Miller played PG for us and we won the game a couple years ago.

That's 7 players who can play guard. It's simply a numbers thing. Cook would be nice to have but wouldn't be seeing minutes.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Is Jackson really not going to play at all this year? Just go from G-League and back all year? I mean, Jrue and Rondo are gonna log heavy minutes. Leaves two guys off the bench, but you'd kinda hope for a another guy off the bench in a pinch, right? I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Is Jackson really not going to play at all this year? Just go from G-League and back all year? I mean, Jrue and Rondo are gonna log heavy minutes. Leaves two guys off the bench, but you'd kinda hope for a another guy off the bench in a pinch, right? I dunno.
    QPon and Miller also.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    QPon and Miller also.
    And Jalen Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Yes, I wouldn't expect him to play. We're trying to make the playoffs, not going to be much burn for a guy that young.

both Toupane and Cook were owed money if they were still on the roster by day's end yesterday... that's why they were waived

it was a business decision... they can both be resigned if they're wanted
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    QPon and Miller also.
    The fact that we have some guards or wings who can play SG does not mean we dont need a back up point guard. I get it that in the new NBA the positions are less relevant but IMO that applies to other positions than PG. Guys like Miller or Smart can play a game or two as PG's but not for longer stretches. Right now we dont have a single back up point guard and if dont get one (a better one than Cook) I will be upset.

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    Right now we dont have a single back up point guard and if dont get one (a better one than Cook) I will be upset.
    Not a single one? Didn't we just draft one? Besides that we will probably stagger Jrue and Rondo along with AD and Boogie. Yes we can always use a Vet on the bench but to say we don't have one single backup is a bit of an exaggeration.

The fact that we have some guards or wings who can play SG does not mean we dont need a back up point guard. I get it that in the new NBA the positions are less relevant but IMO that applies to other positions than PG. Guys like Miller or Smart can play a game or two as PG's but not for longer stretches. Right now we dont have a single back up point guard and if dont get one (a better one than Cook) I will be upset.
    We are paying our backup PG $25MM+, relax.

Jrue, Rondo. If one is getting a breather the other will run PG.

For combo guards we have Moore, Crawford, Jackson who can all facilitate to some degree.

We have QPon, Miller, and Hill who can all move over to SG if needed.

And last: We just brought in Finch to be able to get more of our offense to run through our Bigs. Oh and we have Cousins who is #1 or 2 best passing big in the league.

The Pelicans are upset at you for this post.

This is somewhat of a YOLO move in hopes that Jalen Jones pans out... I'm not totally against it. You need to take some risks if you are going to compete with the better teams in the conference.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    We are one injury short of Crawford running the show with the second unit. And we know our injury luck. Gotta figure another point is brought in.

Thread Information