Pelicans Report

Thread: Anthony Davis excited to play with Rondo.

Anthony Davis excited to play with Rondo.

“He’s very smart,” Davis described Friday of the three-time NBA assists leader. “He knows when to get guys involved, when to get guys shots. He reads defenses very well. His basketball IQ is definitely at another level. Some of the things he does, you can’t teach. He does a great job of knowing when to pass, when to take a shot, when to throw a pocket pass on a pick-and-roll, how to hold off defenders. I’m just glad we can add him to our team.”

“He’s a great floor general. He’s a great leader on the floor for guys like me, DeMarcus, Jrue,” Davis said from Los Angeles, where he’s been working out extensively this summer. “I think he sees the court very differently than most players see it, and he’s one of the elite point guards we have in our league. "

"When I saw that we were trying to get him, it was a no-brainer. I thought we should do it. When he said he wanted to come, it was definitely an exciting day for us, knowing that we had that point-guard position filled with a guy like Rondo. It can definitely help take us to the next level.”

http://www.nba.com/pelicans/news/ant...ans-next-level

He won't be excited seeing every single player Rondo guards jetting right by him and straight to AD.

Rondo is just an awful defender at this point and does nothing when he doesn't have the ball. Terrible fit.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkySlim View Post
    He won't be excited seeing every single player Rondo guards jetting right by him and straight to AD.

Rondo is just an awful defender at this point and does nothing when he doesn't have the ball. Terrible fit.
    Oh there ya are

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Exactly who could we have gotten that would have been a good defender to stop that from happening? Is Nick Young some better defender than Rondo? No player we were going to bring in was going to be a lock down defender.

We had a top 10 defense that used Hield, Moore, Galloway, Crawford, Frazier, and Evans as one of the two guards back there. Rondo will be fine defensively and won't need to guard the hardest guy.

I've mentioned before that Rondo throws one of the prettiest alley oop balls in the league, and he's constantly looking. A.D. should love playing with him. A.D.'s a pure off the ball player, and Rondo is a pure PG, that's a perfect fit of the Mailman/Stockton variety. And all Rondo did the last time he was with Boogie was lead the league in assists.

The concern is absolutely, as it has been, with Jrue and how that fits/works. Two huge usage frontcourt guys love to have a pure passing point. Something like Avery Johnson with Duncan/Admiral. But a not so pure PG pushed over to SG to make room is a different question. He's got to learn to think the game in a different way, at least while Rondo is out there with hi, and then reassert himself when Rondo's on the bench.

Unfortunately, each one of those players will be meeting AD and Boogie at the rim. Good luck with that.
    Last edited by England_Hornet; 07-22-2017 at 05:47 AM.
    '' We are here!!''

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    I've mentioned before that Rondo throws one of the prettiest alley oop balls in the league, and he's constantly looking. A.D. should love playing with him. A.D.'s a pure off the ball player, and Rondo is a pure PG, that's a perfect fit of the Mailman/Stockton variety. And all Rondo did the last time he was with Boogie was lead the league in assists.

The concern is absolutely, as it has been, with Jrue and how that fits/works. Two huge usage frontcourt guys love to have a pure passing point. Something like Avery Johnson with Duncan/Admiral. But a not so pure PG pushed over to SG to make room is a different question. He's got to learn to think the game in a different way, at least while Rondo is out there with hi, and then reassert himself when Rondo's on the bench.
    AD will love it. For the first time in his career catching an alley-oop pass won't be so close to getting injured

Quote Originally Posted by England_Hornet View Post
    Unfortunately, each one of those players will be meeting AD and Boogie at the rim. Good luck with that.
    Exactly! Players will get past anyone, no guard is immune, but what we have in Boogie and The Brow will be the real problem for anyone getting past Jrue and Rondo.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post

I love the Avery Johnson/Duncan/Robinson comparison because that's how I see them, with Jrue and Hill being slightly below Ellie and Elliot. We have the potential to be great, but we need players to play within their roles.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I just love the match up problems we could cause other teams. I can't wait till Jrue gets to guard Gordon when we play Houston. I hope he ruins his game when that night comes. What are y'all talking about Rondo's defense for? You think he's a liability? Rondo is still lightning fast even after the ACL tear. He will probably be better on defense than most expect. I'm not psychic but I've watched Rondo guard many great players and do fine. I think Erman will have our defense ready and it's all about team defense and matchups.

The team has great potential to be chemistry and win against anyone.

I think we will see a lot less turnovers with rondo at point. I think jrue, hill, cousins and Crawford, Moore and hopefully Miller will be successful 3 point shooters.

I think we see a lot more pick and roll with Davis getting allyoops and getting to the line. Also expect a lot of 3 point shooting from cousins. This will stretch the defense and open up the paint. My biggest hope is that jrue becomes an awesome 3 point shooter and rondo feeds him the ball. I love that we have 3 great passers Jrue, Cousins and Rondo. Adding Finch could workout. He may develop a system that works brilliantly. We will see but I'm optimistic given what he's done in Denver.

If jrue stays healthy and rondo clicks we are going to be awesome. We are the ultimate dark horse. If our bench stands its ground we are going to be tough to beat. We're lucky we got cousins and rondo. We are going to be in playoffs if everyone stays healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Exactly! Players will get past anyone, no guard is immune, but what we have in Boogie and The Brow will be the real problem for anyone getting past Jrue and Rondo.
    To add to this, Jrue will be guarding the better of the two guards we go up against. And Rondo is smart enough to read offenses and make plays on the ball

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    To add to this, Jrue will be guarding the better of the two guards we go up against. And Rondo is smart enough to read offenses and make plays on the ball
    This sounds exciting to me. Jrue making great defensive plays and Rondo anticipating the outcome. Easy buckets coming up

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Rondo IQ is what I think is going to be his biggest contribution to the team defensively. I seen an interview where he watches film in such detail to where he was able to know if a guy dribbles six times with his left, that he's going to crossover with his right. Also Dwade said when Miami-Boston played each other in the playoffs, that Rondo knew all of their plays and would consistently take away their first option.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar

Don't let the door hit ya....

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    I just love the match up problems we could cause other teams. I can't wait till Jrue gets to guard Gordon when we play Houston. I hope he ruins his game when that night comes. What are y'all talking about Rondo's defense for? You think he's a liability? Rondo is still lightning fast even after the ACL tear. He will probably be better on defense than most expect. I'm not psychic but I've watched Rondo guard many great players and do fine. I think Erman will have our defense ready and it's all about team defense and matchups.

I think we will see a lot less turnovers with rondo at point. I think jrue, hill, cousins and Crawford, Moore and hopefully Miller will be successful 3 point shooters.

I think we see a lot more pick and roll with Davis getting allyoops and getting to the line. Also expect a lot of 3 point shooting from cousins. This will stretch the defense and open up the paint. My biggest hope is that jrue becomes an awesome 3 point shooter and rondo feeds him the ball. I love that we have 3 great passers Jrue, Cousins and Rondo. Adding Finch could workout. He may develop a system that works brilliantly. We will see but I'm optimistic given what he's done in Denver.

If jrue stays healthy and rondo clicks we are going to be awesome. We are the ultimate dark horse. If our bench stands its ground we are going to be tough to beat. We're lucky we got cousins and rondo. We are going to be in playoffs if everyone stays healthy.

This is exactly how I feel and I'm really exciting for the forthcoming season to see how these 4 gel. We have 2 grade A superstars and 2 very good guards and another very good perimeter defender in the starting lineup. I don't know how people can't be excited.

Really hope it clicks because I can't be handling another losing pathetic season!

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar

I agree with everything said in this post

I just love the match up problems we could cause other teams. I can't wait till Jrue gets to guard Gordon when we play Houston. I hope he ruins his game when that night comes.

Jrue will never try to ruin his opponent's game. Thats the main reason the team went searching for a real point guard. He'll try his best, but if he gets tore up then oh well.

Wall was talking crap and eating his lunch bad last year. Jrue didn't talk back, didn't try to get Wall on the other end, didn't hard foul him. Nothing. Just took his beating and sat down. Don't think that will change anytime soon.

If I see one more post that's negative about Rondo, but advocating for a iso chucker who plays 0 defense and has a diva problem instead of a WINNING problem, who will gut our whole team and make us a worse team I will scream.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    If I see one more post that's negative about Rondo, but advocating for a iso chucker who plays 0 defense and has a diva problem instead of a WINNING problem, who will gut our whole team and make us a worse team I will scream.
    same here

This is a great write up. I think it's funny how people are curious about cousins and AD together and how outdated it is but praise Blake Griffin and Jordan who both can't shoot nor space the floor well.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    After giving it more time I'm all on board the Rondo bandwagon. His chemistry with Cousins is probably the biggest plus, also he fulfills the team design to play Jrue off ball more and have a floor general to close out games. The biggest knocks against Rondo have been friction with his coaches/teammates and poor free throw & 3pt shooting. I'm not concerned about his temperament, think he will be a great fit here under a "players coach" like Gentry and having a like minded star in Cousins, they will keep each other in balance. I think Rondo has a chip on his shoulder that goes well with this team, and expect he will work hard to keep his shooting percentage on the respectable side. This is easily the best situation AD has ever been in, a floor general and a big man both on the court, plus Jrue as a legitimate scoring threat. Look for AD to have a career year in 2018.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar

Tell em all about it.

Rondo may have gone to several different teams the past few years, but Rondo is still a filthy basketball player. With his ability to dish the rock with the two best big men in the NBA on the same team, we could cause problems for others.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Jrue will never try to ruin his opponent's game. Thats the main reason the team went searching for a real point guard. He'll try his best, but if he gets tore up then oh well.

Wall was talking crap and eating his lunch bad last year. Jrue didn't talk back, didn't try to get Wall on the other end, didn't hard foul him. Nothing. Just took his beating and sat down. Don't think that will change anytime soon.
    ******** like this is why I'm excited for Rondo and hopefully his impact on guys like Jrue. If anyone goes back and see how Rondo impacted guys on the bulls like Issah Canaan, who was not afraid of the big moment and played with a sense of crazy urgency, I'm hoping Holiday can stop being so damn nice. Dude has so much potential in his post game, defense, strength, mid range, etc that it's a shame he settles for the good guy role. We need more nasty/killers on this team, AD has it in him I'm sure. Dude has the highest clutch rating in the NBA

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    ******** like this is why I'm excited for Rondo and hopefully his impact on guys like Jrue. If anyone goes back and see how Rondo impacted guys on the bulls like Issah Canaan, who was not afraid of the big moment and played with a sense of crazy urgency, I'm hoping Holiday can stop being so damn nice. Dude has so much potential in his post game, defense, strength, mid range, etc that it's a shame he settles for the good guy role. We need more nasty/killers on this team, AD has it in him I'm sure. Dude has the highest clutch rating in the NBA
    Exactly. Rondo and Cousins on this team gives the Pels an edge they haven't had maybe ever since I've been a fan. For years we've had nice guys like AD and Jrue who are talented, but Rajon and DeMarcus have that dawg mentality along with their talent that can push this team to new heights. Love how it's a perfect situation for all sides, all four main guys are super talented, with two having that nasty edge mean streak that hopefully can be infectious to the whole squad, and then two with a more water-element flow personality and game to balance it out.

And then the rest of the guys on the roster are mostly nice tough guys, with Solomon and E-Twaun being those solid utility doing anything needed types, Jordan Craw being that irrationally confident score-on-anybody-anytime mentality, and Cunningham with that tough solid role-player who can get rough and physical when needed. Awesome blend of energies here, and even Ol' Alvin with his approach to let the players mostly be themselves and do what their best at.

Thread Information