Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans talking with Rondo about a 1 year deal {updated - Signed}

I'd say that pretty much solidifies our starting line-up Rondo/Holiday/Hill/Davis/Cousins, so that's something to be exciting about. And that should give way to filling out our bench, especially with adept 3-point shooters.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Good signing.

our starting PG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post

4.1M it is

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    I'd say that pretty much solidifies our starting line-up Rondo/Holiday/Hill/Davis/Cousins, so that's something to be exciting about. And that should give way to filling out our bench, especially with adept 3-point shooters.
    This could be really nice if we can sign Dante & I have a feeling Cook is going to be back-up. We still can probably make several moves regarding Ajinca & possibly Etwaun. I would take Afflalo on a lesser deal. He would be a cheaper Etwaun.

It's a 1 year deal so I'm not super worried about the cost but I am interested in the numbers to know what kind of space we have to work with for resigning Cunningham, etc.

As far as the move goes itself, could there be better fits, players I want more, etc? Absolutely. But the two things I feel are really good reasons to do this are 1) It makes us not desperate to make a move. 2) It doesn't tie us into anything long term and retains our flexibility to make other moves. Bonus) It makes Cousins happy.

Signing Rondo means we can go into the season with our starting lineup intact without needing to make a big trade for someone. It means we aren't desperate and we will only make a move if it's fair instead of another GM trying to take us over the coals.

It also means we don't have long term money tied up and can still make a trade if we see fit. We still have all of our assets and depending on the contract will probably still be able to sign another player or two.

Basically, I'd love to have Bledsoe, but if Phoenix is demanding too much, then Rondo will work for 1 year. Then next summer or at the trade deadline we can make a move for another player that is more of a long term fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    This could be really nice if we can sign Dante & I have a feeling Cook is going to be back-up. We still can probably make several moves regarding Ajinca & possibly Etwaun. I would take Afflalo on a lesser deal. He would be a cheaper Etwaun.
    Afflalo is cooked. Moore is easily the better defender too

After looking further into Rondo, I love it. Still need shooters. But this is a huge piece, his leadership and toughness is something this team lacks outside of Cousins. And we know he can run an offense.

Thrilled by this news
    I'm a grinder

This is assuming we don't release one of those non guaranteed contracts. Even so, we don't have much wiggle room.

I wonder if we will be able to fit Cunningham in or not.

We finally signed someone!! Not a shooter but at least a vet PG that will make Big Cuz happy.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Afflalo is cooked. Moore is easily the better defender too
    Wait, what? Afflalo shot 41% from 3 last year. Average almost 9 pts per game. I would much rather pay Afflalo 5 mill to be a back-up than pay Moore 8 million to be a 15 minute per game guy. What does cooked mean,exactly?

The Franchise
    I would really love him to be leading the 2nd unit with say him, Moore and cousins. Before people go crazy I think Davis or cousins will be on the floor at all times so just saying when cousins in without Davis then Moore and rondo will be with him. I hope one more trade is in the works to have Jrue and Davis have a 3rd wheel when it's just them.

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    our starting PG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Niiice, ya'll quick with that

Wait, what? Afflalo shot 41% from 3 last year. Average almost 9 pts per game. I would much rather pay Afflalo 5 mill to be a back-up than pay Moore 8 million to be a 15 minute per game guy. What does cooked mean,exactly?
    I'm not sure trading away Moore's contract means we could have Afflalo and 3 mil extra dollars. We can't sign Afflalo into space as we have none

And as I said, Moore is the better defender

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I would really love him to be leading the 2nd unit with say him, Moore and cousins. Before people go crazy I think Davis or cousins will be on the floor at all times so just saying when cousins in without Davis the Moore and rondo will be with him. I hope one more trade is in the works to have Jrue and Davis have a 3rd wheel when it's just them.
    No I agree. I would love to see him control the ball for the second unit and clutch situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    It's a 1 year deal so I'm not super worried about the cost but I am interested in the numbers to know what kind of space we have to work with for resigning Cunningham, etc.

As far as the move goes itself, could there be better fits, players I want more, etc? Absolutely. But the two things I feel are really good reasons to do this are 1) It makes us not desperate to make a move. 2) It doesn't tie us into anything long term and retains our flexibility to make other moves. Bonus) It makes Cousins happy.

Signing Rondo means we can go into the season with our starting lineup intact without needing to make a big trade for someone. It means we aren't desperate and we will only make a move if it's fair instead of another GM trying to take us over the coals.

It also means we don't have long term money tied up and can still make a trade if we see fit. We still have all of our assets and depending on the contract will probably still be able to sign another player or two.

Basically, I'd love to have Bledsoe, but if Phoenix is demanding too much, then Rondo will work for 1 year. Then next summer or at the trade deadline we can make a move for another player that is more of a long term fit.
    Good stuff. Yea, I think it's safe to say this puts the Bledsoe/Lin/Knight/Reggie Jackson scenarios to rest for now. And we still have that prized 2018 1st to add wing depth and/or dump Asik/Ajinca salary. A straight up Asik+1st for J. Dudley could make a lot of sense for both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I'm not sure trading away Moore's contract means we could have Afflalo and 3 mil extra dollars. We can't sign Afflalo into space as we have none

And as I said, Moore is the better defender
    We can make room for Afflalo. Plus, I don't care about Moore's 15 minutes of defense. I want a spacer & Afflalo is a much better fit on offense. I'm not talking about starters here. We need scorers. We have Jrue , Grits & Moore. Moore's 8 million is expendable.

We can make room for Afflalo. Plus, I don't care about Moore's 15 minutes of defense. I want a spacer & Afflalo is a much better fit on offense. I'm not talking about starters here. We need scorers. We have Jrue , Grits & Moore. Moore's 8 million is expendable.
    'To make room' would need a whole other set of moves like moving Asik, Ajinca and Moore and that's a whole other kettle of fish

Thread Information