Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans talking with Rondo about a 1 year deal {updated - Signed}

Dell Demps,

Get the deal done.
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it."
    - el-Hajj Malik el-Shabazz

Quote Originally Posted by rezburna View Post
    Dell Demps,

Get the deal done.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    That is a COMPLETELY different argument than Dell has done nothing. Not allowing Jrue to walk in free agency has a drastic effect on the team whether you agree with the move or not.
    If he is upset at Dell doing nothing. Relatively speaking, Dell has made more moves (meaningful) than half of the league. I Portlands GM must really be sitting on his hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    If he is upset at Dell doing nothing. Relatively speaking, Dell has made more moves (meaningful) than half of the league. I Portlands GM must really be sitting on his hands.
    And what's Dallas done? They haven't even re-signed Noel!

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Ok, we get it, you're pleased with our GM for retaining a free agent. I think the Pels GM should get more done at this critical juncture. Thanks for sharing.
    Then say you aren't happy with the moves made or you want more moves. Don't say Dell has done nothing and then argue with people when they tell you otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    The people complaining about Dell's lack of moves would be the same people complaining if Dell made a trade earlier that they deemed "bad" or we "gave up too much".

Dell keeps from making a bad trade and doesn't rush to sign just any free agent and he gets just as much flack from people as if he had done a bad move.

There needs to be some middle ground where we can actually wait to see what happens before we all jump off the cliff. It's easy to blame Dell, but hard to just wait.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Perfect! Absolutely spot on!!

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    I think we can all move along now hey? No need to make this any bigger than it already is.

IF we were to sign Rondo, it would be nice to have a high bbiq player who can feed the bigs. shooting is not something you would put in the plus column. I think the real question is the regular season motivation - he is a smart guy, he needs to challenge himself and the team to perform together. Whatever it is going to take to work night in and out. Being that the team has two big stars and real potential, could it burn a few internal embers that this could be a real opportunity to do something? A locked in starting unit of rondo/jrue/hill/ad/boogie on the defensive end alone would be a nightmare to deal with, but that takes hard work. Whether he even comes on board is the first question, getting ahead of myself haha.
    That is the reason why I wouldnt mind a one year deal. This unit has a lot of potential - especially defensively. Rondo has great playmaking ability which we all think is Jrue's weakness. I would rather get a very good shooter at SG but I as I said I wouldnt mind this experiment. There is risk but there is also a big chance it could work out really well. I think he could get really motivated playing together with Cousins, AD and Jrue. When he was motivated he played well (playoffs last year). Also I always hated the alle-yoop passes to AD cause they were never good passes and I always had the impression that AD was going to get injured. I think he would be safer with Rondo's passes.

Can we sign Rondo and keep Dante?

Bench consisting of Cook, Moore, the rook, Miller, Dante, Diallo, Ajinca wouldnt be too bad imo.

The people complaining about Dell's lack of moves would be the same people complaining if Dell made a trade earlier that they deemed "bad" or we "gave up too much".

Dell keeps from making a bad trade and doesn't rush to sign just any free agent and he gets just as much flack from people as if he had done a bad move.
    Your read my mind

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post

Bench consisting of Cook, Moore, the rook, Miller, Dante, Diallo, Ajinca wouldnt be too bad imo.
    Yes we can

Also you forgot Crawford

All depends on amounts. We can go over the cap to sign Dante but depending how we handled things hard cap might be an issue. Credit 42 for the hardcap stuff.

All depends on amounts. We can go over the cap to sign Dante but depending how we handled things hard cap might be an issue. Credit 42 for the hardcap stuff.
    how big Rondo's contract would block us to sign Dante?

how big Rondo's contract would block us to sign Dante?
    That would be a question better suited to 42 and his article on BSS. I'd link it but I'm not at home and tied up at the moment.

Based purely off of memory which could be entirely wrong I think we are somewhere around 7m from the hard cap. So both would need to fit inside of that... Excluding any moves we made to lessen our cap hit like releasing non guaranteed contracts. Again, that could be totally off.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 07-14-2017 at 01:34 PM.

That would be a question better suited to 42 and his article on BSS. I'd link it but I'm not at home and tied up at the moment.

Based purely off of memory which could be entirely wrong I think we are somewhere around 7m from the hard cap. So both would need to fit inside of that... Excluding any moves we made to lessen our cap hit like releasing non guaranteed contracts. Again, that could be totally off.
    He should be offered at most one dollar less

You only have to be under the hard cap by June/July of next year when the cap is calculated, that's why there's no big rush to dump Asik as of right now.

At least that's what I think

I would love to take a course on the NBA CBA if there was one, it's so ludicrous yet fascinating at the same time. And I'd love to be able to understand it all fully
    Last edited by AusPel; 07-14-2017 at 01:40 PM.

You only have to be under the hard cap by June/July of next year when the cap is calculated, that's why there's no big rush to dump Asik as of right now.

At least that's what I think
    Some of the calculations have changed this year. For instance, the way I understand it is the luxury tax limits are based on actual payments and not the cap figures at a certain date. Not sure if determination of hard cap restrictions are the same.

Yes we can

Also you forgot Crawford
    Don;t forget the grits!

Scott Kushner (@ScottDKushner)

7/14/17, 1:46 PM
    Rondo update. #Pelicans in the mix but not alone. twitter.com/rickbozich/sta…

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Some of the calculations have changed this year. For instance, the way I understand it is the luxury tax limits are based on actual payments and not the cap figures at a certain date. Not sure if determination of hard cap restrictions are the same.
    This was my understanding too but I'm waiting for Larry Coon to finish updating the CBAFAQ before I start reading about it again.

And what's Dallas done? They haven't even re-signed Noel!
    Noel is RFA. Dallas gave him an offer. Noel wants more. Nobody on this market has more (KCP money or even more).
    Somebody will have to negotiate...

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Deal done, per Shams
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Deal done, per Shams
    Yessss!

Yay.................

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    The fact is that other teams were very actively looking to move pieces that could have helped our team and Dell lost out or didn't bother.
    You lose most, if not all of the credibility of your points when you throw out a statement like this. To suggest that a person of his high professional achievement doesn't even bother to try and improve his product is ludicrous. And by "high professional achievement" I mean that he has attained the position of NBA General Manager, a position that not many people in history can claim that they held. People like that don't get to be people like that by sitting on their hands. KnowWhatIMean, Vern?

Thread Information