Pelicans Report

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans talking with Rondo about a 1 year deal {updated - Signed}

Personally I want something like Asik and a 2nd (maybe more?) to the Suns for Dudley. It makes Phoenix worse while opening up minutes for their young guys. And the Pelicans get a career 40% 3-point shooter at SF.

Honestly after waiting for QPon for so long I really want him to stay to see what he can do on this roster. He's a solid teammate and one of those coveted 3-and-D players on a good contract.

Ajinca I'm not too worried about. If he stays on the roster, he can at least give us a few good minutes at the backup center role.

Also I've been itching for Dante back. I just think he's a utility vet that's been really great for us. Not to mention he led the Pelicans in 3-point percentage lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Lee is 6'5 , I'm not sure he would be able to guard 3s. Or Matthews. I'm just saying we are gonna be repeating a horrible thing with this whole 3 guard lineup.
    Crowder is 6'6". Lee has played the 3 before and is a good defender. I am not advocating him, but I think we get hung up on whether a guy is called a SG or SF. A lot of 2s and 3s are almost interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by deiondeion View Post
    Personally I want something like Asik and a 2nd (maybe more?) to the Suns for Dudley. It makes Phoenix worse while opening up minutes for their young guys. And the Pelicans get a career 40% 3-point shooter at SF.

Honestly after waiting for QPon for so long I really want him to stay to see what he can do on this roster. He's a solid teammate and one of those coveted 3-and-D players on a good contract.

Ajinca I'm not too worried about. If he stays on the roster, he can at least give us a few good minutes at the backup center role.

Also I've been itching for Dante back. I just think he's a utility vet that's been really great for us. Not to mention he led the Pelicans in 3-point percentage lol.
    Could be a good deal. However, how significant is the surgery that Dudley just had? I think it was on his foot.

Honestly could be perfect opportunity for us to get him even cheaper than before the surgery. Even if he doesn't come back until December I'd still pull the trigger

I wonder if Dell will take back any long term salary at this point. He may be trying to shed salaries for expirings and signing one year guys. If Rondo returns to Celtic Rondo next season, as much as I think he will love it here, he's not going to keep playing for $4M/yr and we don't have his Bird rights. I could see Demps trying to maintain that flexibility rather than commit big money to Matthews or Crabbe, even though those guys could help improve our team. Let's not forget Rondo is still a top 10 PG and probably the best pure PG, even though we got him cheap this season, he is still a huge addition to this team and if he play as expected we will need space to pay him next offseason.

Edit: Also our wing situation really isn't that bad, IF Qpon is as healthy as he's putting on, IF Darius Miller is no longer gun shy, they would be 2 really good backups to Hill. I could see Grits and Moore sharing the backcourt together off the bench, they are both combo guards and Moore started at PG for Chicago for awhile. They are both shooters off the bench. Really everybody on the team are plus shooters besides Rondo and Asik.

Where we're struggling at is those 2 useless centers off the bench, if we're going to use picks it should be to get those 2 off the payroll.
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 07-18-2017 at 04:01 PM.

Trade machine has Rondo with us, 2 yrs 14M. Assuming that was his Bulls contract?

yea thats what he signed for in Chi-town. we aren't coming close to $14 mil

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Crowder is 6'6". Lee has played the 3 before and is a good defender. I am not advocating him, but I think we get hung up on whether a guy is called a SG or SF. A lot of 2s and 3s are almost interchangeable
    Absolutely. Related, Mason Ginsberg was talking about it earlier on twitter how few SF's would truly be a mismatch guarded by Jrue. Jrue will be guarding Gordon Hayward, Jimmy Butler/Wiggins, Nic Batum and Demar Derozan as a starting two in this league. All those guys are shooting guards in name only, with the size to play 3 so really thinking, I'm not scared of Jrue guarding 95% of SF's in this league.

With that in mind, I'd like to see us run 3-guard lineups a ton this year. Rondo/Holiday/Moore should be able to guard your average Suns or Pacers or Heat without having a true exploitable mismatch.
    Last edited by Mr. West; 07-18-2017 at 10:13 PM.
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I wonder if Dell will take back any long term salary at this point. He may be trying to shed salaries for expirings and signing one year guys. If Rondo returns to Celtic Rondo next season, as much as I think he will love it here, he's not going to keep playing for $4M/yr and we don't have his Bird rights. I could see Demps trying to maintain that flexibility rather than commit big money to Matthews or Crabbe, even though those guys could help improve our team. Let's not forget Rondo is still a top 10 PG and probably the best pure PG, even though we got him cheap this season, he is still a huge addition to this team and if he play as expected we will need space to pay him next offseason.

Edit: Also our wing situation really isn't that bad, IF Qpon is as healthy as he's putting on, IF Darius Miller is no longer gun shy, they would be 2 really good backups to Hill. I could see Grits and Moore sharing the backcourt together off the bench, they are both combo guards and Moore started at PG for Chicago for awhile. They are both shooters off the bench. Really everybody on the team are plus shooters besides Rondo and Asik.

Where we're struggling at is those 2 useless centers off the bench, if we're going to use picks it should be to get those 2 off the payroll.
    Lol not top 10 and not the best pure point gaurd.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Does anyone else remember Crowder when he played at Marquette? He played PF for them (well, hybrid 3 & 4). If you trade for him you don't need to bring back DC. You have a more talented player, and a guy who is on the rise.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    Lol not top 10 and not the best pure point gaurd.
    1. Westbrook
    2. Curry
    3. CP3
    4. Wall
    5. Lillard
    6. Kyrie
    7. Rondo
    8. Lowry
    9. Rubio
    10. Hill

I think he will be back higher than 7 by the end of next season

Lmfbo did you put Kyle Lowry below rondo???

Isaiah Thomas, Jeremy Lin, Dennis Schroeder, kemba walker, goran dragic, Eric Bledsoe, James harden when he played of, Mike conley and there is more but they would be on the same level like Darren colison

Also we don't know how these rookies are going to play

I has hesitant to put D.rose on here sorry
    Last edited by tyler; 07-19-2017 at 04:05 AM.

And if we are talking pure point guards it's cp3,John wall, Rubio because he plays defense then Rondo but you can interchange rondo and rubio. But thats because rondo grabs more rebounds so it's really personal preference
    Last edited by tyler; 07-19-2017 at 04:36 AM.

You're disrespecting Rondo lol. What can any of those players do better than Rondo besides score? Are they better leaders? Better floor generals? Do they make their teammates better? Are they smarter?

And then you insinuate that he can't play defense. The same guy who has been on 4 all defensive teams with a 6'9 wingspan and has not lost a step.

Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 07-19-2017 at 04:49 AM.

This starting 5 should be top 5 defense easily

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    You're disrespecting Rondo lol. What can any of those players do better than Rondo besides score? Are they better leaders? Better floor generals? Do they make their teammates better? Are they smarter?

And then you insinuate that he can't play defense. The same guy who has been on 4 all defensive teams with a 6'9 wingspan and has not lost a step.

Lol dude you are drastically over rating him... this so called leader is known throughout the league as a head case also.... getting into fist fights with doc rivers. Getting benched by the last 3 teams he was on. Ok yes he has basketball IQ and he can pass the ball... But guess what? That's it!!! He can't shoot he pick and choose when to play defense I wish someone can pull up his defensive ratings and rank him to other point guards that plays defense so you can see how badly he regressed. If he didn't know how to pass there would be no use for him in the league.... he is more of a name now with a certain skill of passing. And if he was so great why wasn't anybody beating down to sign him???? The only team that wanted him was the Lakers and that was for a back up position to lonzo ball. Like as soon as I get these defensive ratings I'm going to prove that he regressed.... Plus isn't your so called leader the one who called a ref a gay slur when the ref was actually gay?? Yea ok

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    They're gonna be really good at rebounding if they're allowed to as well.

Also he he couldn't be that much of a leader because him a ray Allen didn't get along in Boston and he didn't get along with D wade and butler... And the only reason we have him is because the sun's and the nets didn't want to trade with us or free agents point guards didn't find New Orleans attractive enough to take pay cuts to play with AD or cousins.

Also he he couldn't be that much of a leader because him a ray Allen didn't get along in Boston and he didn't get along with D wade and butler... And the only reason we have him is because the sun's and the nets didn't want to trade with us or free agents point guards didn't find New Orleans attractive enough to take pay cuts to play with AD or cousins.
    I guess KG and Paul Pierce weren't leaders too, since they all loathe the locker room lawyer that was Ray Allen.

Rondo is as smart and tough as they come in this league, and he actually has major leadership qualities, but like everything else with Rajon, it has to be on his terms. He's got to feel like it's his team and his coach. If he does, he'll tell your guys where to go on both offense and defense. He'll mentor your kids. He'll make suggestions for plays in the huddle. If things get chippy, you know he'll step right into the middle of it. If you're one of his, guys know he has their back.

The problem has always been if there is conflict he's absolutely obstinate and blistering. If he came for Boogie, that's a very good first step. If Gentry is a relatively undemanding player's coach with a history with the Phoenix "give the PG the ball and let him go" system, that's another one. If the team wins and Rondo feels like he's playing a major part in that and being respected for that, that's maybe the best sign of all. He's not a random agent of havoc. He's just a double-edged sword. People in authority are scared of him because they can't just tell him to sit down and shut up and expect him to kiss the ring out of deference.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    I guess KG and Paul Pierce weren't leaders too, since they all loathe the locker room lawyer that was Ray Allen.

Rondo is as smart and tough as they come in this league, and he actually has major leadership qualities, but like everything else with Rajon, it has to be on his terms. He's got to feel like it's his team and his coach. If he does, he'll tell your guys where to go on both offense and defense. He'll mentor your kids. He'll make suggestions for plays in the huddle. If things get chippy, you know he'll step right into the middle of it. If you're one of his, guys know he has their back.

The problem has always been if there is conflict he's absolutely obstinate and blistering. If he came for Boogie, that's a very good first step. If Gentry is a relatively undemanding player's coach with a history with the Phoenix "give the PG the ball and let him go" system, that's another one. If the team wins and Rondo feels like he's playing a major part in that and being respected for that, that's maybe the best sign of all. He's not a random agent of havoc. He's just a double-edged sword. People in authority are scared of him because they can't just tell him to sit down and shut up and expect him to kiss the ring out of deference.

That's the thing about life not everything has to be on your terms they pay to insulate the offense the coach wants him to run not what he thinks and if it doesn't go his way he rebels that's childish and a good way to stay out the league.

Teams didn't run to pick him up for a reason

Rondo.
    The highest IQ guard since CP3.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Rondo.
    The highest IQ guard since CP3.
    That's fine doesn't mean he isn't a head case

That's fine doesn't mean he isn't a head case
    I feel like this is the best situation he's been in since Boston and not just saying that being a Pels homer.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I feel like this is the best situation he's been in since Boston and not just saying that being a Pels homer.
    Oh yea he is in a great situation. Never said he wasn't if jrue developed a more consistent spot up shot it would be even more perfect. The only thing I was saying is he isn't top 10 more like 15 give or take and how we aren't getting the rondo from Boston I hope he can turn back to
    Last edited by tyler; 07-19-2017 at 08:31 AM.

Thread Information