Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans talking with Rondo about a 1 year deal {updated - Signed}

Rondo struggled in the last three seasons and couldnt to stay on the same team. Even so I would mind him. He's had a great career and his last two playoffs games with the Bulls are encouraging. Even though I would prefer to bring in a shooter I dont mind the Jrue Rondo backcourt.

The same people that now hate Rondo are the same people who consistently and erroneously try to rank him above Jrue to try to convince us Jrue isn't a great PG.

I'd imagine him and Jrue would stagger min quite a bit. That would be cool. still hoping for that awesome trade but.......meh.

if we really want JH at SG, and we get him for a one year cheap deal, it could be worth it. Vet, should realize he just needs to run the offense, play solid D, and setup the big guys.

To me I like this better than spending 3yrs on RJ. Our bench with Cook, Diallo, Moore Crawford, will be ok.

But I'm sensing this is a backup plan if others don't pull the trigger.

Not a big fan of Rhondo but i's say SIGN HIM. He will make our overall team better, PERIOD whereas Jackson won't and will cost us toooooo much and we need to retain our 2018 lottery pick. To DELL, hey many we need to start picked some young 1st round players in the draft to compliment our team, get it ?? Also don't you dare trade Diallo or you really are a fool just saying!1

Quote Originally Posted by lsutigers33 View Post
    if we really want JH at SG, and we get him for a one year cheap deal, it could be worth it. Vet, should realize he just needs to run the offense, play solid D, and setup the big guys.

To me I like this better than spending 3yrs on RJ. Our bench with Cook, Diallo, Moore Crawford, will be ok.

But I'm sensing this is a backup plan if others don't pull the trigger.
    Since the conract is supposed to be for one year we could actually see if Jrue at SG is a good idea. If it works we could go strongly after a PG if not after a SG.

Has Iguodala hurt the Warrios spacing?
    Can shoot free throws at the end of a game?
    Why does he help? He can do other things very well
    Rondo is similar & will step up when NEEDED TO
    Never underestimate the heart of a champ!

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    I think Rondo is our fall back option and we're just using this to put pressure on the teams we're negotiating with. I mean the Pels do not often leak info, so there has to be a reason for this. Not saying we're not interested in Rondo, but I know he isn't our first choice.

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    Don't be surprised to see a trade today or tomorrow. Seems like we're making a push to make moves.

Good to have you back

thanks Brick.

Rondo on a good one year deal is a solid move. Sure he's had dust ups with teammates, notably D-Wade in Chicago, but he is a true PG who can run a team and defend. As mentioned, he's never been known as much of a shooter but, like Jason Kidd, he's improved later in his career. On balance, I'd rather do a short term deal with Rondo and see how it works out next year than take on Jackson's deal for three more years. Bledsoe would still be first preference, but Rondo is a legitimate fall back option + leverage to apply with the Suns if they are motivated at all to get a deal done now.

Quote Originally Posted by RekeHavoc View Post
    Don't be surprised to see a trade today or tomorrow. Seems like we're making a push to make moves.
    Is our interest in the large Melo deal real or do we have another deal in mind?

The new lob city

Finally someone credible is saying that

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecia View Post
    Has Iguodala hurt the Warrios spacing?
    Can shoot free throws at the end of a game?
    Why does he help? He can do other things very well
    Rondo is similar & will step up when NEEDED TO
    Never underestimate the heart of a champ!
    Cause Kendrick Perkins worked out so well.......

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Is our interest in the large Melo deal real or do we have another deal in mind?
    I think the interest in that deal is more to give us flexibility to make other moves. Obviously if Bledsoe could be involved the team would be interested but it seems like a deal for him will be difficult because of PHX's asking price.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Otherwise you'd almost have to replace Hill in the starting lineup with a real shooter.
    Obviously this is a huge IF, but if he's healthy, start Q-Pon.

I don't think Rondo is ideal but he is a good choice out of the limited options we have.

Two things I REALLY like about him.

1. He has a lot of history and respect doe Erman. This could go a long way with defensive chemistry and holding the scheme together.

2. During Chicago's locker room free fall last year, Rondo actually took the side of the young guys. He became a leader and example. We need guys like that.

The main thing I don't like, his shooting. We are all well aware of that.

Ultimately, it is a wise decision to take a chance on him for the right price. The investment is low and maybe you hit a home run.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Would rather Rondo on a 1 year deal than losing Moore and betting on Jackson to bounce back so his contract isn't awful.

So in that context it's a good move imo. Probably not a needle mover, but he can run the PnR and switch on defense with Holiday. Any expectations beyond that ("Newfound 3 pt. shot" or "Back to Celtics style play") are bound to be disappointed.
    @DanielVeuleman

The one thing I appreciate about Rondo is he knows that he's not the best shooter, so he's not gonna take a shot eve if he's open if he's not feeling he can hit it. Some guys will chuck it up there even if they know damm well they can't shoot.

For Rondo to shoot like 37% is great... but he only takes about 1 three pointer per game.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    The one thing I appreciate about Rondo is he knows that he's not the best shooter, so he's not gonna take a shot eve if he's open if he's not feeling he can hit it. Some guys will chuck it up there even if they know damm well they can't shoot.

For Rondo to shoot like 37% is great... but he only takes about 1 three pointer per game.
    he aint nick young

I think the interest in that deal is more to give us flexibility to make other moves. Obviously if Bledsoe could be involved the team would be interested but it seems like a deal for him will be difficult because of PHX's asking price.

It's good to have a REAL insider back! Welcome bro
    I'm a grinder

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Rockets and Knicks are also pushing hard to get their deal done.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Hadn't seen that play where he clowns EG! (3:51 mark)

Half court sets will suffer, but Rondo would make us so much more dangerous on the break, and solidifies a stout defensive starting/finishing 5. Just gotta keep the pace high when he's in. Then when he's out, slow the game down and surround Boog with shooters...if we can find some.

Thread Information