Pelicans Report

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans talking with Rondo about a 1 year deal {updated - Signed}

Mo is first on my list
    Veteran. Winner. Can hit 3. Good rebounder.
    Can be cheaper than Alexis

How we match up with Golden State is irrelevant. The Pel's aren't even close to the level of talent GS has and should focus on how to deal with the rest of the league first.
    The biggest questionmark is Gentry. Does he understand, what kind of roster he has and what kind of playstyle it demands or does he follow the same illusions of how basketball should be played as George Karl.
    What the Pel's have is basically a Gasol+Randolph pairing on steroids. Two of the most dominant big man on one team. Two guys that can force the defense to adjust.
    The idea should be to force the opponent into the halfcourt, where we can use our size and superior strength. We should make the game slow, physical and ugly.
    The problem is, that in order to do so, you have to defend first. You need a really good team defense to control the pace of the game and you need to be really efficient on offense with high FG% and low turnovers.
    With Rondo you already have one defensive liability on the perimeter. Cousins main weakness is his pick&roll defense. Jrue was excellent on defense at the PG position, but being 6'4 means he will have to defend guys bigger than him for extended minutes, when we play him alongside Rondo. After Jrue Solo is pretty much the only good perimeter defender this team has.
    That's simply not enough to impose our will on the game and to force teams to play our way. The Pelicans desperately need more upper echolon defenders on the perimeter. We need at least one more full sized wing, that can defend and can hit 3's.
    The rumors that the Pel's were interested in Nick Young don't indicate Demps is aware of that.
    But one thing is for sure - a team built around two bigs won't win many games trying to outrun and outshoot his opponents. The Pel's have to do it on the defensive side of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Krysanthem View Post
    How we match up with Golden State is irrelevant. The Pel's aren't even close to the level of talent GS has and should focus on how to deal with the rest of the league first.
    The biggest questionmark is Gentry. Does he understand, what kind of roster he has and what kind of playstyle it demands or does he follow the same illusions of how basketball should be played as George Karl.
    What the Pel's have is basically a Gasol+Randolph pairing on steroids. Two of the most dominant big man on one team. Two guys that can force the defense to adjust.
    The idea should be to force the opponent into the halfcourt, where we can use our size and superior strength. We should make the game slow, physical and ugly.
    The problem is, that in order to do so, you have to defend first. You need a really good team defense to control the pace of the game and you need to be really efficient on offense with high FG% and low turnovers.
    With Rondo you already have one defensive liability on the perimeter. Cousins main weakness is his pick&roll defense. Jrue was excellent on defense at the PG position, but being 6'4 means he will have to defend guys bigger than him for extended minutes, when we play him alongside Rondo. After Jrue Solo is pretty much the only good perimeter defender this team has.
    That's simply not enough to impose our will on the game and to force teams to play our way. The Pelicans desperately need more upper echolon defenders on the perimeter. We need at least one more full sized wing, that can defend and can hit 3's.
    The rumors that the Pel's were interested in Nick Young don't indicate Demps is aware of that.
    But one thing is for sure - a team built around two bigs won't win many games trying to outrun and outshoot his opponents. The Pel's have to do it on the defensive side of the ball.
    Exactly. You aren't going to beat GSW at their own game. We have the two best bigs going around and it's time to make this our strength

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Since when is Rondo a defensive liability?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Since when is Rondo a defensive liability?
    for several years now.

Actually he's more...I think he CAN still play defense, but he very much picks and chooses when he wants to anymore.

Well... we have 2 great perimeter defenders and 2 superb bigs, one of which is an elite shot blocker on the inside.... we'll be ok....
    '' We are here!!''

Quote Originally Posted by England_Hornet View Post
    Well... we have 2 great perimeter defenders and 2 superb bigs, one of which is an elite shot blocker on the inside.... we'll be ok....
    He's actually regressed tremendously on defense he just doesn't care anymore
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    He's actually regressed tremendously on defense he just doesn't care anymore
    He's only 31.... it's not actually that old at all and the back end of prime years. Shame really if true.
    Still should be able to get double figures in assists.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    for several years now.

Actually he's more...I think he CAN still play defense, but he very much picks and chooses when he wants to anymore.
    I know, or have the strong opinion, that he can play strong defense. A lot of action was run away from him against the Celtics because he was disrupting a lot of it. And then there's the game against Kyrie.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I know, or have the strong opinion, that he can play strong defense. A lot of action was run away from him against the Celtics because he was disrupting a lot of it. And then there's the game against Kyrie.

Nobody is denying, that Rondo can turn it on on D for a few games a year. Problem is, that he was barely trying in a Kings uniform. And he was benched in Chicago pretty much because of the same reasons.
    Can Gentry get through to Rondo and make him care enough about his defense for the whole regular season? When will it click for Rondo? After 3 teams basically moved on from him the moment they had the chance to do it, he should no longer be content to only show up in big games.
    But with Rondo being a seemingly strong minded and stubborn individual, I have my doubts which Rondo will show up in NOLA - Playoff-Rondo or George Karl-Rondo?

ok... what happened in SAC for Rondo?

a lot of the "we're so glad he's not our problem" seems to be coming from SAC

while I feel Rondo's an upgrade over our current situation... I'm worried over some of the things I'm seeing regarding him
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Seems like almost none of the BBS boys like this Rondo signing. I swear I can't recall them liking anything we done lol.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post
    ok... what happened in SAC for Rondo?

a lot of the "we're so glad he's not our problem" seems to be coming from SAC

while I feel Rondo's an upgrade over our current situation... I'm worried over some of the things I'm seeing regarding him
    I think people on this board have to get used to ignoring most everything coming out of Sactown. A great many people there want you to fail. Need you to fail, because otherwise all their whining and complaining and proclamations of how terrible Boogie was turn to dust. And then where are they going to find a scapegoat? Probably start stringing up poor Skal next.

Just a disastrously poisonous environment for years now. You had people who never wanted Rondo there. You had people invested in Karl lashing out at anybody involved in his downfall. You have a large core of people who had an irrational hate of their own franchise player who resent anyone who he likes or who says nice things about him. You have another large group of people just generally angry about the eternal struggles and looking for scapegoats. You have some really nasty media boobs too, and I say that as a New Yorker. At least the haters here are almost just trolls who play a persona. The egos and entitlement of media types in Sac though can be something else. They've been there forever and ever and have angry mobs of followers they play too. The same dumbasses that chased Webber from town, that chased Adelman from town, still there. Chased Boogie too.

Of course now the one thing that can be said was Rondo mocked the Kings talent last season, so that isn't going to earn you many friends.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Seems like almost none of the BBS boys like this Rondo signing. I swear I can't recall them liking anything we done lol.
    I like Oleh & the guys at BirdWrites. BBS is a guy from Utah, a guy in Chicago and they all have created this faux "All NBA knowledge" world. It's quite amusing

It's simple, Rondo hates losing and playing with scrubs lol. They still love him in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    I like Oleh & the guys at BirdWrites. BBS is a guy from Utah, a guy in Chicago and they all have created this faux "All NBA knowledge" world. It's quite amusing
    Because geographical proximity is an obstacle to accessing information in 2017.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Because geographical proximity is an obstacle to accessing information in 2017.
    It is unfortunate that some folks don't think proximity has anything to do w/ type and/or amount of information one can obtain. So, yes in 2017 it still makes a difference regarding proximity. Physically being able to talk with players,coach's,brass, other journos and reporters.Doing actual legwork to create friendships,bonds and other relationships by physically being at the facility and other frequented locales.Aeeing injuries first hand & being at pressers and meetings for first hand info. Texting and Internet is fool's gold if you think that it equates to personally being seen and on locale all of the time. If I am in the gym, I can talk to AD while he's being iced or retaped etc. what are you gonna do? Text him from Buffalo?

It is unfortunate that some folks don't think proximity has anything to do w/ type and/or amount of information one can obtain. So, yes in 2017 it still makes a difference regarding proximity. Physically being able to talk with players,coach's,brass, other journos and reporters.Doing actual legwork to create friendships,bonds and other relationships by physically being at the facility and other frequented locales.Aeeing injuries first hand & being at pressers and meetings for first hand info. Texting and Internet is fool's gold if you think that it equates to personally being seen and on locale all of the time. If I am in the gym, I can talk to AD while he's being iced or retaped etc. what are you gonna do? Text him from Buffalo?
    That's fine. But that's not what you said. There's a distinction between saying "proximity dictates the type of information a person can obtain" and attacking the competence and credibility of persons based on their residences in Utah and Chicago. Especially when "information" is such a broad category. Does 42 need to live in New Orleans to explain how our cap situation may dictate future moves (granted, he does )? Does MM need to live in New Orleans to explain potential FA targets (which is likely shaped from contacts w/ his sources)? Does Ginsberg need to live in New Orleans to explain how to efficiently spend our assets and remain flexible moving forward? No, so not only have you changed the argument, but you've narrowed the definition of "information" to fit your narrative.

You don't have to like them. But to act like BSS can't be informative because some of their members live outside New Orleans is ignorant.

Guess where MM is from

Guess what site MM posts on

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    That's fine. But that's not what you said. There's a distinction between saying "proximity dictates the type of information a person can obtain" and attacking the competence and credibility of persons based on their residences in Utah and Chicago. Especially when "information" is such a broad category. Does 42 need to live in New Orleans to explain how our cap situation may dictate future moves (granted, he does )? Does MM need to live in New Orleans to explain potential FA targets (which is likely shaped from contacts w/ his sources)? Does Ginsberg need to live in New Orleans to explain how to efficiently spend our assets and remain flexible moving forward? No, so not only have you changed the argument, but you've narrowed the definition of "information" to fit your narrative.

You don't have to like them. But to act like BSS can't be informative because some of their members live outside New Orleans is ignorant.
    Ok, let me rephrase. There are folks locally that have just as much knowledge as those at BBS. The guys that live here therefore have a huge advantage over those that live in far away lands. (See my post above). The guys at BBS do supply good information regarding,at times very confusing NBA bean counting etc. But,what they do is NOT obscure. Pels fans can get that information from locals. i.e. BirdWrites. And let's not conflate the knowledge regarding $$$, cap, MLE and all of that $$$ minutia with being a guru at talent evaluations. And as far as INSIDE INFORMATION. Ugh! If you want info regarding $$$$$ , BBS is a great source. As are other establishments. Also, conversations are much easier w/ BIrdWrites folks. They are much more apt to conversate if your opinion differs than theirs, instead of pitching hissy fits, name calling & all of that tripe . So. Thus I like BirdWrites. If you think BBS has something special going, then by all means, stick with him. Frankly, I can get my $$$ info from somewhere else & I don't recall what any of BBS guys qualifications are to assume they are Mensa talent evaluators. Too each his own . That's fine.

Jake goes to more practices and covers more games than any TBW writer with credentials. Andrew is at almost all the games with credentials. 42 and I are based out of here as well. Even still proximity has virtually nothing to do with these guys ability to get sources or watch games or access info.
    Last edited by Kumar; 07-16-2017 at 01:59 PM.

Ok, let me rephrase. There are folks locally that have just as much knowledge as those at BBS. The guys that live here therefore have a huge advantage over those that live in far away lands. (See my post above). The guys at BBS do supply good information regarding,at times very confusing NBA bean counting etc. But,what they do is NOT obscure. Pels fans can get that information from locals. i.e. BirdWrites. And let's not conflate the knowledge regarding $$$, cap, MLE and all of that $$$ minutia with being a guru at talent evaluations. And as far as INSIDE INFORMATION. Ugh! If you want info regarding $$$$$ , BBS is a great source. As are other establishments. Also, conversations are much easier w/ BIrdWrites folks. They are much more apt to conversate if your opinion differs than theirs, instead of pitching hissy fits, name calling & all of that tripe . So. Thus I like BirdWrites. If you think BBS has something special going, then by all means, stick with him. Frankly, I can get my $$$ info from somewhere else & I don't recall what any of BBS guys qualifications are to assume they are Mensa talent evaluators. Too each his own . That's fine.
    I'd rather read Scott Kuhsner's articles on the Advocate and Oleh from The Bird Writes. Now I do enjoy Jake Madison's Locked on Pelicans podcasts.

Pels fans: "This move sucks, fire Demps fire Gentry" - totally fine
    Writers: "This signing isn't great because the player hasn't been good in years and all the information available on the player points to the player not being good" - they never like anything we do.

Also it's not like you see TBW writers praising this signing either. You seen Fisher's timeline?

Thread Information