Pelicans Report

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans talking with Rondo about a 1 year deal {updated - Signed}

Pelicans

Those worried about spacing (REALITY CHECK) we haven't had it for the last 4 years
    & our bigs still get there stats & touches our bigs can stretch themselves

Quote Originally Posted by mikecia View Post
    Those worried about spacing (REALITY CHECK) we haven't had it for the last 4 years
    & our bigs still get there stats & touches our bigs can stretch themselves
    This is not true at all. During the second half of the 14-15 playoff run Eric Gordon and Q-Pon were one of the best 3 Pt duos in the league.

This had A LOT to do with the run we had and AD having a legitimate MVP campaign.

Spacing matters, especially when you have a dynamic big. It is freaking essential

On a one year deal, this is a great move. Rondo may be frustrating to deal with, but we need a leader on the court. AD and Jrue are passive by nature, and Rondo is an alpha (probably why he got into spats with so many players). I think everything will fall in line, and as long as we avoid injuries it should be a great season.

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex23 View Post
    This is not true at all. During the second half of the 14-15 playoff run Eric Gordon and Q-Pon were one of the best 3 Pt duos in the league.

This had A LOT to do with the run we had and AD having a legitimate MVP campaign.

Spacing matters, especially when you have a dynamic big. It is freaking essential
    AD will be in the MVP conversation for the next 8 YEARS with or without shooters
    Does every player at every position have to hit 3 to be successful? NO
    We are not the warriors people stop dreaming
    The MVP this year is not a great shooter himself

AD will be in the MVP conversation for the next 8 YEARS with or without shooters
    This is ridiculous.

I said nothing about being the Warriors. I said that the only time we have EVER been to the playoffs with AD is when he was surrounded by excellent 3 Pt shooting. This is a fact. Not my opinion.

You are in extreme minority in believing that spacing is not important in basketball. The only explanation is that you are either 90 years old and use to a different brand of basketball or simply uninformed.

Spacing means giving your bigs more room to operate and creating driving lanes. More shooting means you can't double team AD...ever.

How could you possibly be against that.

And Russ plays Point Guard. AD is MUCH more reliant on others facilitating his touches.

What are you talking about?
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

If Rondo starts we will have 2 great shooting big men 1 slightly above average shooting SF (Hill) 1 very good shooting SG (Holiday) &
    1 below average shooter at PG who can rebound better than our SF pass better than our now SG may lead the team in steals & bring championship pedegri to our inexperienced winning team. If Rondo hurts our team then let's get rid of Solo he can't space, rebound, pass, steal or be a threat offensively consistently he only brings tough defence (not lock down defence) & that's all.
    Enough said

This is ridiculous.

I said nothing about being the Warriors. I said that the only time we have EVER been to the playoffs with AD is when he was surrounded by excellent 3 Pt shooting. This is a fact. Not my opinion.

You are in extreme minority in believing that spacing is not important in basketball. The only explanation is that you are either 90 years old and use to a different brand of basketball or simply uninformed.

Spacing means giving your bigs more room to operate and creating driving lanes. More shooting means you can't double team AD...ever.

How could you possibly be against that.

And Russ plays Point Guard. AD is MUCH more reliant on others facilitating his touches.
    If there were cheap reliable or obtainable shooters to create spacing why don't we have them?
    Spacing is important but not everything It only works with volume shooters who are not afraid to shoot

If there were cheap reliable or obtainable shooters to create spacing why don't we have them?
    Spacing is important but not everything It only works with volume shooters who are not afraid to shoot
    Ok.

We are on the same team so I don't want to fight with you.

We have gone after some shooters like Nick Young. We just haven't landed one. That doesn't change the fact that it is a need.

We aren't done yet making moves so I can assume improving shooting is still a goal.

I just want to clarify that no one thinks we should be shooting a crazy amount of threes. We just need to shoot enough of them, at a high enough percentage, that it opens everything else up.

When Rondo was at his most effective he was on a team with Paul Pierce, Ray Allen and Garnett. They had a ton of space for him to operate.

Example: E Moore can start at SG (a very good shooter) but will still only score 8 or 9 points per game Why?
    Cause he's not a volume shooter He's not aggressive enough Will his spacing help maybe just a little
    I'm going on what we have now not what people wish we had Lets see if we can get some volume shooters & then talk about spacing
    Last edited by mikecia; 07-15-2017 at 05:10 PM.

Ok.

We have gone after some shooters like Nick Young. We just haven't landed one. That doesn't change the fact that it is a need.

We aren't done yet making moves so I can assume improving shooting is still a goal.

I just want to clarify that no one thinks we should be shooting a crazy amount of threes. We just need to shoot enough of them, at a high enough percentage, that it opens everything else up.

When Rondo was at his most effective he was on a team with Paul Pierce, Ray Allen and Garnett. They had a ton of space for him to operate.
    I appreciate your honesty I won't fight against a fellow pel either It's a good cheap signing but there more to come (we hope)
    Now let's say Holiday gets injured (knock on wood) would you prefer Fraizer or Rondo?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Ok.

Past 3 yrs , RONDo was 35% from 3. That's as good as Lin & better than Bledsoe. 37% is a good 3pt% .So,we just signed a great floor general,with championship experience, a Mensa IQ for basketball, a security blanket for Boogie & in return, we give up 2 3pointers per every 100 shots . I'm good !!!!

Example: E Moore can start at SG (a very good shooter) but will still only score 8 or 9 points per game Why?
    Cause he's not a volume shooter He's not aggressive enough Will his spacing help maybe just a little
    I'm going on what we have now not what people wish we had Lets see if we can get some volume spacers & then talk about spacing
    I'm not sure I've ever heard the term "volume spacers" before.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Past 3 yrs , RONDo was 35% from 3. That's as good as Lin & better than Bledsoe. 37% is a good 3pt% .So,we just signed a great floor general,with championship experience, a Mensa IQ for basketball, a security blanket for Boogie & in return, we give up 2 3pointers per every 100 shots . I'm good !!!!
    I'm not coming out against Rondo. I'm just expressing that we need more shooting. For this roster to be effective we have to have reliable shooters you can't slack off of.

If I am coaching against the Pelicans I am fine letting Rondo and Hill try to beat us from the perimeter.

If Rondo can wake up the passive & lackadaisical without urgency Jrue Holiday I'M ALL IN WITH THIS SIGNING! Rondo is a better leader
    GOTTA HAVE KILLER INSTINCT

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    I'm not coming out against Rondo. I'm just expressing that we need more shooting. For this roster to be effective we have to have reliable shooters you can't slack off of.

If I am coaching against the Pelicans I am fine letting Rondo and Hill try to beat us from the perimeter.
    Oh, I don't think Rondo is the answer for shooting. But I do think Rondo creates problems for defense because he probes and attacks aggressively to the basket &&&& he will finish at the rim if need be. And he also will allow for AD & Boogie crashing the boards when Rondo has to be stopped once he beats his guy off the dribble. Or he just dishes out to Jrue or Dante or Grits for an open 3 . I really like the choice. Low risk, high reward & kept EVERY draft pick.

I'll take it.

I hope we have a top 5 D in the league, we're going to need to establish dominance that end of the floor because we won't out shoot many playoff contending Western Conference teams. Need to make D our identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Oh, I don't think Rondo is the answer for shooting. But I do think Rondo creates problems for defense because he probes and attacks aggressively to the basket &&&& he will finish at the rim if need be. And he also will allow for AD & Boogie crashing the boards when Rondo has to be stopped once he beats his guy off the dribble. Or he just dishes out to Jrue or Dante or Grits for an open 3 . I really like the choice. Low risk, high reward & kept EVERY draft pick.
    The more I think about the signing the more I like it. Don't get me wrong. Huge upside with no risk at all.

I just don't think Jrue is going to be the full time 2. I think they will share the floor at times but will also spend a lot of time on different units. That makes the most sense. Keep a playmaker on the court at all times.

I just think it is imperative that if you are going to build your team around two bigs and sign a guy like Rondo then you have to improve perimeter shooting. This will keep double teams away and open up the pick and roll. Rondo will have more space to make decisions and get guys the ball.

I'm frankly amazed that people are disagreeing with that.

Well for what it's worth Jrue and Cuz are pretty good 3pt shooters and Hill is a decent but streaky one. So, it's not like our starting lineup is without anybody could make 3. Plus, Rando can get the offensive rebounds with Boogie is at the 3pt line.

Rondo did shoot 38% from the 3pt line last year for those who thinks he cant shoot the 3...

Quote Originally Posted by AIP504 View Post
    Rondo did shoot 38% from the 3pt line last year for those who thinks he cant shoot the 3...
    He has become a much better three point shooter in the past few years.

He only averaged 1.9 attempts per game though. Averaged .7 threes made per game. Not exactly someone who puts fear in the heart of a defense.

Quote Originally Posted by AIP504 View Post
    Defense will still double off him without thinking twice. Open Rondo and Solomon Hill 3's are things opposing teams will live with IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Defense will still double off him without thinking twice. Open Rondo and Solomon Hill 3's are things opposing teams will live with IMO.
    Im not saying he won't be left open but he has shown the ability to hit the 3 point shot... Jason Kidd couldn't shoot and people left him open later in his career but now he is near the top all time...

Finally a PG with IQ cause jrue makes horrible decisions play him at the 2 and we have a squad. Rondo,Jrue,Hill,Davis,Demarcus ... looks beautiful on paper.

The spacing DOES very much matter.

Last year after we got Boogie people packed the paint. It was insane. It was like five guys were defending in the paint against us at all times. It forced us to play Boogie up high and the board was about to meltdown because Gentry was "playing him out of position". In reality, we had no shooting threat so the teams could easily pack it in and frustrate Boogie and The Brow.

Simple solution. Add three point shooters. That was easy to see and it's been the reason for everyone so desperate for a shooter.

Now is it the ONLY solution? I don't know. I feel like they have something up their sleeves. Another move or a piece of Finch's system that fixes the issues another way. I hope so, at least. Otherwise we'll see teams neuter our offensive threats by packing the paint and watching us chunk up bricks from downtown.

Thread Information