Pelicans Report

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans talking with Rondo about a 1 year deal {updated - Signed}

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I hope everyone is at this point since it's already agreed upon. At least to try to be optimistic it will work.

My opinion is much the same as it was the other day: Rondo is a 1 year deal that can hold down a starting guard position for us while we look for a long term answer. We didn't give up assets and we retained much of the flexibility we had before agreeing to terms with Rondo. I like other players better and I'd much rather have Bledsoe but if signing Rondo means we aren't desperate to make a move then it's worth it.

As far as his personality goes, I fully believe Cousins and AD will keep him in check. I also think Rondo himself will be very willing to keep himself in check because he is playing with Cousins and AD.
    Agreed and I think the fact that Cousins is here is the reason Rondo signed with us and that should help with chemistry also.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    Big baby has always been bitter
    Bitter to whom? He won with rondo he lost with CPME
    I'm a grinder

https://t.co/681PcuzkDc?amp=1 Sam Mitchell on Rondo signing
    Win Win for Pels!

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    Bitter to whom? He won with rondo he lost with CPME
    Ever since he left the league he has just complained about everything including Doc Rivers saying he wasn't a good coach
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    Ever since he left the league he has just complained about everything including Doc Rivers saying he wasn't a good coach
    TBH I don't feel he is that good of a coach either. That Boston team with that talent should have won at least 3 rings

Aside from thinking this is a plan C or D type move that isn't flattering for the Pels, the question remains: Who closes out games at PG? 60% FT shooter Rondo or "Mr crucial play turnover" Holiday? Who you got?

I came to the same conclusion with MM to Rondo at a glance (makes me feel like i know something haha), Tim Fraiser situation on offense where shooting becomes a problem, with bigger upside on defense.

I talked to a friend of mine who's a big Boston fan, and who also knows more about Rondo. He was saying he doesn't think Rondo has lost that much of a step, he's not significantly bogged down on injuries, niggling ones, but nothing significant as the ACL he had a few years ago. It's all going to be about his motivation, whether he decides to bring it on a consistent basis, or just go full AWOL.

I think i heard this from TBW, people were excited about Rubio, and you get someone who plays a similar style in Rondo. The couple pluses i can think of, he's definitely a high IQ guy, he'll do his research and learn the in and outs of our offence and defense, and see it on the court. If he is even as good as he was in SAC, he'll help out our team immensely, and I think he's got a bit more potential than that because he'll have more options.

So then, like everyone has been saying, it'll be about what he wants to do, and if he decides to buy in. I think the fact that he chose NO (which is not a destination for 90% of the league), speaks to him wanting to do big things with this team, for a few reasons. He's likely to take small money, which I'm sure he's able to get in most other places. We have a couple of his friends here, in Boogie and Erman, people who can hopefully keep him motivated and from falling off the cliff (Also the Kentucky connection). Most importantly IMO, he's had the most talented roster to work with since Boston, people who don't need the ball in their hands the whole time to be effective. I'm guessing he wants to go deep in the playoffs, as opposed to collecting another check, because like I reiterated, it's not much of a paycheck (for him anyways).

So with all that said, I think there's a reasonable chance for him to succeed here, more than 50% anyway. I feel like others are giving it like a 30% to 0% chance, which at a glance is not unreasonable, but I think the factors surrounding his signing points to higher upside, provided 2 things, his motivation, and his health.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

I'm calling it now. Rondo will win MVP next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Aside from thinking this is a plan C or D type move that isn't flattering for the Pels, the question remains: Who closes out games at PG? 60% FT shooter Rondo or "Mr crucial play turnover" Holiday? Who you got?
    Please stop it. You can easily substitute Rondo if it comes down to a free throw situation. And while Jrue had that ugly flub against Denver last year, he has also hit big shots late as well. That big shot against the Spurs the playoff year comes to mind.

Who do you recommend buckwheat?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Kmsl

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    What's this "or" stuff? Both will be on the floor.

He's definitely a strong pick for MIP. I'm calling Boogie for MVP.

Good post tin Food

This
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    MVP is a fun notion. But I think what's going to happen is he leads the league in assists.

Quote Originally Posted by NOEngineer View Post

100% agree. Less than half of the "writers" tweets listed on Pelicans Report are now basketball-related. I bet I'm not the only season ticket holder who disagrees with the completely liberal slant on this forum, and I certainly could find plenty of political sites to visit if that's what I were seeking. Instead, what I want is concentrated information and opinions about my Pelicans team, without the political baggage to wade through. Express your uniformly unique opinions about politics in a more appropriate forum, please.....
    Then go to TigerDroppings

No one's forcing you to stay here

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    That's cool. What about the other ones? The one that has LOADS of "inside information" all of the time from the beautiful mountain state of Utah & demeans, delegitimization & verbally assaults those that disagree with his POV? That "Inside Info" has been 100% not correct this summer. Or the other ones that keep posting & retweeting political garbage on the Pelicansreport website! It seems as though the actual hard leg journos, doing the work, on the ground are the most grounded in what they do. Usually the case. For the few who are actually walking the beat, I appreciate you immensely. It's unfortunate that most of the SOUND comes from the others.
    Are you fletcher? Just accept that MM has sources bro

Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Food View Post
    I came to the same conclusion with MM to Rondo at a glance (makes me feel like i know something haha), Tim Fraiser situation on offense where shooting becomes a problem, with bigger upside on defense.

I talked to a friend of mine who's a big Boston fan, and who also knows more about Rondo. He was saying he doesn't think Rondo has lost that much of a step, he's not significantly bogged down on injuries, niggling ones, but nothing significant as the ACL he had a few years ago. It's all going to be about his motivation, whether he decides to bring it on a consistent basis, or just go full AWOL.

I think i heard this from TBW, people were excited about Rubio, and you get someone who plays a similar style in Rondo. The couple pluses i can think of, he's definitely a high IQ guy, he'll do his research and learn the in and outs of our offence and defense, and see it on the court. If he is even as good as he was in SAC, he'll help out our team immensely, and I think he's got a bit more potential than that because he'll have more options.

So then, like everyone has been saying, it'll be about what he wants to do, and if he decides to buy in. I think the fact that he chose NO (which is not a destination for 90% of the league), speaks to him wanting to do big things with this team, for a few reasons. He's likely to take small money, which I'm sure he's able to get in most other places. We have a couple of his friends here, in Boogie and Erman, people who can hopefully keep him motivated and from falling off the cliff (Also the Kentucky connection). Most importantly IMO, he's had the most talented roster to work with since Boston, people who don't need the ball in their hands the whole time to be effective. I'm guessing he wants to go deep in the playoffs, as opposed to collecting another check, because like I reiterated, it's not much of a paycheck (for him anyways).

So with all that said, I think there's a reasonable chance for him to succeed here, more than 50% anyway. I feel like others are giving it like a 30% to 0% chance, which at a glance is not unreasonable, but I think the factors surrounding his signing points to higher upside, provided 2 things, his motivation, and his health.
    I wanted to write a longer post but then I read yours and it basically what I had to say

so here's the problem with Rondo, I actually think he'll regain some of his defensive form, he sort of did at points last year with the Bulls. The issue is offensively, Rondo took 20% of his shots from 16-23 ft and hes terrible at them, he also was terrible around the rim last year and never has been able to run a high level offense, even the 2010-11 Celtics were mediocre on that end. This team already has a lot of offensive problems, and Jrue is also a veey inneffecient guard, Its still really up to Gentry, AD and Cousins to figure this out offensively. Only under Monty has Davis' team had an above average offense and no one else not Cousins, not Holiday, or Rondo with the keys put together a good offense..

Here's the thing though, Rondo's corner 3 is legit, he shoots 44% from the corners on decent volume (like 150 shots over the last 2 seasons) but bad from other spots on the floor. If he rebranded himself as a pointgaurd who played good defense, handled it in transition, got the offense into their set and then played out of the corners for the rest of the possession hed be a 15 million dollar a year player. Hed be that good in that role. Just the little things hed bring as an extra passer, rebounder would make him invaluable.

The problem (again) is Rondo's ego is too big for that, and the Pelicans need too much out of him as a primary ballhandler. I personally dont trust a ball in Rondo's hands dominated offense to be above league average, but maybe it wont have to be if the Pelicans can improve on being a top 10 defense.
    Last edited by Pelifan; 07-17-2017 at 07:05 AM.

Pelicans talking with Rondo about a 1 year deal {updated - Signed}

Your right we shouldn't have signed a former all star known to be one of the best passers and pick n roll PG in the game we should have stuck with our d league scrub that wasn't that good .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MistaWhoDat; 07-17-2017 at 07:27 AM.

It's almost everybody we ever wanted

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    MVP is a fun notion. But I think what's going to happen is he leads the league in assists.

and be our 2nd or 3rd double double player and our top triple double guy...

Are the Pelicans going to do a press conference for Rondo ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information