Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans Discussing Trade For Reggie Jackson {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    Tbh I don't see what value qpon brings why would any body want someone that hasn't played in two years?
    Because he's an expiring.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar

Pelicans Discussing Trade For Reggie Jackson

1. We don't leak info on trades. This is a smokescreen and a legitimate option which makes it an even better smokescreen.

2. This moves leaves the unguaranteed poo poo platter of contracts alone, as well as, the 2018 first.

3. We save two mil in year one. If 42s BSS article is accurate and it seemed pretty spot on, that's no small amount given our margins.

4. If the Pels don't have to worry about the apron, then that opens up opportunities for S&Ts and the remainder of the MLE.

5. I'm worried about Jacksons knee. But I was also told that Tysons Chandler toe and CP3s knee were degenerative. That was in 2008 and 2009. We know how that played out.

5. 3 years 51 mill is about what Reggie Jackson would've gotten this summer had he been a FA even coming off the injury. It's not the greatest but it's not horrible either.

Final thoughts: its not the greatest move and injury concern is valid, but Reggie Jackson is a better starting PG than E'Twaun is a starting SG. Jrue is Jrue next to either of them, so tie goes to the more talented player (Jackson). The savings we get will allow us to consider more options in regards to the apron. It would also seem that our 2018 pick is not on the table. Lastly, by accepting the extra year on the contract we may be able to squeeze draft compensation out of the Pistons. For these reasons, I ultimately pull the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    1. We don't leak info on trades. This is a smokescreen and a legitimate option which makes it an even better smokescreen.

2. This moves leaves the unguaranteed poo poo platter of contracts alone, as well as, the 2018 first.

3. We save two mil in year one. If 42s BSS article is accurate and it seemed pretty spot on, that's no small amount given our margins.

4. If the Pels don't have to worry about the apron, then that opens up opportunities for S&Ts and the remainder of the MLE.

5. I'm worried about Jacksons knee. But I was also told that Tysons Chandler toe and CP3s knee were degenerative. That was in 2008 and 2009. We know how that played out.

5. 3 years 51 mill is about what Reggie Jackson would've gotten this summer had he been a FA even coming off the injury. It's not the greatest but it's not horrible either.

Final thoughts: its not the greatest move and injury concern is valid, but Reggie Jackson is a better starting PG than E'Twaun is a starting SG. Jrue is Jrue next to either of them, so tie goes to the more talented player (Jackson). The savings we get will allow us to consider more options in regards to the apron. It would also seem that our 2018 pick is not on the table. Lastly, by accepting the extra year on the contract we may be able to squeeze draft compensation out of the Pistons. For these reasons, I ultimately pull the trigger.

Really good summation. And I agree with pretty much all of this, although I still can't get fully behind the deal (even though the deal probably isn't real to begin with).

What I like about getting Jackson is having 2 very good ball distributors on the floor together in Jrue/Jackson. Neither of them are CP3 but both together create a back court duo as good as anyone in the NBA outside of the Rockets passing the ball. Some question Jacksons passing ability but he is a top 5 passer at SG. We happen to have 2 bigs that have an elite ability to create for themselves and the skill set to create for others as well. This can be a very dynamic 4 closing out games. If we can move Asik in the deal for Jackson then it is an absolute no brainer. We would basically be swapping Asik out for Jackson and an extra few million $ which is no doubt worth it. Somehow land Knight like someone previously said and that's a scary team with tons of upside.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Potential Trade for Reggie Jackson

I've heard so many people criticize Dell for his interest in Jackson. I've heard people say it won't improve the team. Reggie Jackson will improve this team a lot. Does anyone agree with me on this?

I am still processing all of the data

in a vacuum it is an upgrade
    hopefully his knee is fine. hopefully those character issues are not as problematic as people think

still I am not sure who send this rumor to Scotto. when those discussions took place

don't know exact pieces of trade (expect a sweetner for us - 2 nd rounder; would lova a first). don't love his contract

but just basketball-wise and short term it is better to have 16 millions of Jackson to Asik & Ajinca & QPon (expect AA buyout)
    so short term he may help a lot for DMC to stay

long term might limit our flexibility

I would prefer other options, but this one is at least possible, without mortgaging assets/picks

if Asik is included in this trade and you don't need to add a pick - you don't even have to think for a minute. just do it

So I hear ppl say this is a smokescreen but what happens if this is the actual truth and weren't able to get Bledsoe,Lin or knight how would you feel if us retaining Jackson was the actual truth
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

it depends on context

if you are giving up two first rounders for Bledsoe - will you do it (solely, not including price of dumping Asik)?
    if you are giving up a pick for Lin, and have to extend him for 3/50m?

Michael Scotto is respected person, but this rumor was not even commented by anyone reliable.
    I hope that we are tyring to show BRK and PHX that we have other options...

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    it depends on context

if you are giving up two first rounders for Bledsoe - will you do it (solely, not including price of dumping Asik)?

Michael Scotto is respected person, but this rumor was not even commented by anyone reliable.
    This is exactly what I think Dell is doing

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    it depends on context

Another thing if we can easily see what dell is doing why don't you think PHX or BRK could see past out bluff

it may be everything

he might be even our option no 1
    I won't be surprised if this is the case

Dell for sure tried to agree a deal with BRK and PHX. there is a possibility that asking price was too high

f.e. Detroit has only Ish, Galloway as a potential PG. Maybe Bradley can handle a little.

maybe this deal will be 3-way? Maybe some picks will be included.
    Firstly I would like some kinda of confirmation of this discussions

If he's healthy easily he will help this team and I hope we trade two non factors non aggressive players for one that will be a factor and will take it too the opponent .

If qpon doesn't play then his contract will be covered by insurance so that is a bonus in a trade as well that you don't have to pay that 3 million.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post

Based on his past couple of years and the injury, I do not think so. Look at what Gay got and the demand for wings far outweighed the supply. The supply of PGs was plentiful between free agency and the draft. I think he would have likely signed a large one year deal or had to taken the MLE

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Based on his past couple of years and the injury, I do not think so. Look at what Gay got and the demand for wings far outweighed the supply. The supply of PGs was plentiful between free agency and the draft. I think he would have likely signed a large one year deal or had to taken the MLE
    Completely disagree. Gay blew out his Achilles and is in his 30's. It will be a year before he even hopes to be close to what he was.

Now the PG market was flooded. So judging what Reggie would have gotten would be tough. But he's younger than both Hill and Teague, so getting something close to what they got seems reasonable.

Pelicans Discussing Trade For Reggie Jackson {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    A question.

Does the fact that they're making Ajinca available in trades mean they expect Diallo to play meaningful minutes this season? I'd actually prefer to keep Ajinca, and just trade them Moore/QPon/2Panes/Cook if possible.
    I like Ajinca too but I think they feel comfortable with being able to grab a backup center for cheap if they can trade Ajinca. I do too if DMo is still available. His skill set is probably a better fit for us too. DMo on the league minimum or BAE is nice value as a backup.

There's also Jeff Withey who is a free agent and can probably give backup minutes for cheap. Terrance Jones is out there too and would probably come back here for cheap.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 07-12-2017 at 08:24 AM.

Pelicans Discussing Trade For Reggie Jackson {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    Another thing if we can easily see what dell is doing why don't you think PHX or BRK could see past out bluff
    Because there's a risk it's not a bluff. The question becomes does Phoenix risk losing out on a deal and being stuck with Bledsoe entering the season while trying to tank or do they come down on their demands some to get the deal done?

It's not like Bledsoe doesn't have injury concerns himself. So Phoenix sees this or Brooklyn sees this and they really want to get something for their player so they become more willing to negotiate.

The Franchise
    Lin has injury concerns too. If we are really shooting for Wall we can't give our draft picks away. I'd rather have knight and Reggie without giving up assets than giving 2 first for Bledsoe even though I really want Bledsoe. Get Reggie and Stanley from Detroit, grab knight from Phx, sign Lawson, and resign DMo and let's see how the season plays out

Reggie, knight, Lawson
    Jrue, Stanley
    Hill, Stanley
    Davis, diallo, DMo
    Cousins

Pretty decent core to me

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    Completely disagree. Gay blew out his Achilles and is in his 30's. It will be a year before he even hopes to be close to what he was.

Now the PG market was flooded. So judging what Reggie would have gotten would be tough. But he's younger than both Hill and Teague, so getting something close to what they got seems reasonable.
    We are both just guessing. However, Jackson is nowhere near the player Hill or Teague is. He has a bad reputation in the locker room, a bum knee and does not play defense. I cannot see anyone paying him that much. However, it only takes one team.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    Lin has injury concerns too. If we are really shooting for Wall we can't give our draft picks away. I'd rather have knight and Reggie without giving up assets than giving 2 first for Bledsoe even though I really want Bledsoe. Get Reggie and Stanley from Detroit, grab knight from Phx, sign Lawson, and resign DMo and let's see how the season plays out

Reggie, knight, Lawson
    Jrue, Stanley
    Hill, Stanley
    Davis, diallo, DMo
    Cousins

Pretty decent core to me
    1. how the hell are we getting Stanley?
    2. how the hell are we getting knight?
    3. D-Mo is gone and not coming back. He posted that himself on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    I thought this same thing when I saw the post.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    It's been posted a lot but here it is
    1. If we take Reggie's bad contract they have to give us Stanley for Asik and Moore.
    2. Knight was know. To get for cheap. We could trade Ajinca, qpon, and unguarentees
    3. DMo said he wasn't coming back because we had too many centers. If we get rid of Asik and Ajinca we would need a center or two.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ybtgxevq

Of course both trade could swap different combinations but same players.

Alot of hard wishing here.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    I pulled this up to see if there was any mention of being a bad teammate. IT's a good review of last season, but the takeaway for this post is that he is a good teammate ... http://pistonpowered.com/2017/05/26/...season-review/

"After Jackson got shut down late in March, he protested but by all accounts was a good teammate and an active cheerleader on the bench. While he has a reputation as a problem in the locker room thanks to forcing his way out of Oklahoma City, there are no indicators of Jackson being a malcontent with this team. From multiple sources, Jackson is well-liked by his fellow Pistons."

Thread Information