Pelicans Report

Thread: Question About Next Year's Offseason

Question About Next Year's Offseason

Is it possible to sign a big name free agent next year and then sign boogie after that signing using his bird rights allowing us to go into the luxury cap?

I think the main hangup would be cap space. Like this year we only had about 12 million or so of space before signing Jrue. I don't know what we will have next year but I would guess it will be similar. Would a big name free agent sign here for less than 15 mil a year?

Edited to add: You can only sign free agents into space. So you can't exceed the cap to sign a new player. This is why a trade is our best option (only real option) to get another difference maker.

Seems that they have 68.2 million without Jrue's 25. That would be a total about 93 million. http://www.basketballinsiders.com/ne...s-team-salary/
    Without a trade or loss of Asik, Ajinca, moore (25 million together) vs loosing some of those contracts and adding new contracts this year, it would seem unlikely?

Ok cool thanks guys.

Wall will tell Washington he wants to go to New Orleans and we send them Jrue and a pick.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Wall will tell Washington he wants to go to New Orleans and we send them Jrue and a pick.
    I mean, he is retweeting old pics of him with and AD and Cousins.

Of course, Calipari is in the pic too...

Man. Trying to figure out how different our history would've been if Benson made that move.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    I'm banking on that as well bro lol
    I'm a grinder

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I mean, he is retweeting old pics of him with and AD and Cousins.

Of course, Calipari is in the pic too...

Man. Trying to figure out how different our history would've been if Benson made that move.
    What move eman

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    What move eman
    I think he is referring to hiring Calipari.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Yeah. I mean, if we are to take MM for his word, a lot of locals called Benson trying to get him to bring in Calipari. But he didn't want to. Probably didn't like Calipari's ego or something.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    You could argue that Calipari has the cushest coaching job of anyone, in any sport. He is going nowhere!

Yeah. I mean, if we are to take MM for his word, a lot of locals called Benson trying to get him to bring in Calipari. But he didn't want to. Probably didn't like Calipari's ego or something.
    I think it was Dell that didnt want Calipari brought in. But you're right, I think that would've been a game changing hire for us. Even if he isn't a great NBA coach, I think he would've attracted alot of great players like Wall. If Gentry flops this season, I pray to God we be in in Calipari. Offer him whatever it takes.

If the Pels don't have a fantastic season where there's no doubt Demps/Gentry should keep their jobs, would Benson/Loomis really say no to Cal if Cousins said that's what it will take to resign? You also have a ready made solid coaching staff to help him out too. He just would need to hire his own Jeff Bower to do the daily grind of GMing.

Thread Information