Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What moves would you make with the rest of free agency?

I have given multiple reasons why he is not a good fit here. Only thing I have gotten back is if it's the minimum I would give him a try and he got along with Boogie. What does he bring to the table for our team that we need? He's a terrible fit for the system and his skill set is nothing near what it once was. I guess Rick Carlisle is an idiot. Go ask that guy about Rondo.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Basing Rondos play for a month over what a stat sheet says doesn't tell the whole story. Go watch him play and you will see one of the more frustrating players in the NBA to watch. He's frustrating to watch and I have no investment in his team. A few coaches have broken his play down on ESPN why at times his stats look ok but he is killing the teams success. Only system Rondo plays into is his own system. If he had a half decent shot I would maybe consider it but going on 32 as a shell of himself defensively and can be a serious problem in the lockeroom is a big no for me. Still have yet to hear a decent positive for bringing Rondo in. His assist #s are all you can really point to and like I said that has been broken down by multiple people with far greater basketball knowledge than anyone here on how they are inflated because of his style of play that does not result in winning.
    You're reading too much tripe online. Rondo is unpopular, so he attracts a lot of tripe articles, much like Boogie actually. Easy mark.

But he's a brilliant passer and floor general, to this day (and from an A.D. perspective throws a perfect alley oop ball which he is always looking for0. He has an absolutely uncanny knack on the boards, to this day.

And he can actually hit a three point shot now. He's still not a good shooter overall, but he worked on being able to hit a three and he can do ti respectably. In fact a lot like Rubio, after the ASB last year he went nuts shooting and hit .473 from 3pt land the last 2 months of the season.

His warts are legit, he's not a good shooter, and the big change is that he doesn't consistently bring it on defense anymore. He will still make smart plays, saavy plays, and even hustle plays, but he'll also take plenty of plays off on that end.

As far as being "trouble", he can be. But it is again not universal. He's prickly as a pear, he's got a major ego, and one of the reasons he and Cousins vibed is because essentially neither guy will tolerate guys coming at them. But Alvin Gentry on the other hand represents precisely the sort of guy that Rondo could mostly get along with. He wants freedom to do his thing on offense, and he wants it without anybody getting in his face. Gentry might fit both of those criteria. He and Cousins got along and know each other, another major positive. It's not only impossible to see him clashing with A.D., it's likely he would want to mentor him too the way he did Cousins. He's extremely competitive...but on his own terms. He's been a huge playoff performer, but he's also one of the largest "bleep you" players in the league if he decided that you, his own team/coach, are the enemy instead. He won't come off the bench, because of ego. You want to see good Rondo, its a matter of trust. You give him the ball, the starting spot, and say go run the team, and he's still got a lot of game. Anything else and...there's bad Rondo.

P.S. He and Wade predictably did not work because you had 2 egos and what should have been an obvious issue with both guys absolutely needing the ball.
    Last edited by Bricklayer; 07-04-2017 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    Yes. He is also still tough as nails. against the pels last year he scored 15 and 22. I think Smart showed what he's capable of against cleveland in the playoffs. that's good and bad
    He really only had 1 good game against Cleveland. He was nothing special in the others. I would not want to invest a 1st rounder in him given that he only has one year left on his contract before becoming a RFA.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    He really only had 1 good game against Cleveland. He was nothing special in the others. I would not want to invest a 1st rounder in him given that he only has one year left on his contract before becoming a RFA.
    Considering what Paul George and Jimmy Butler got traded for, is Marcus Smart really going to pull a 1st round pick when everyone knows the Celtics have to trade someone to clear cap space?

I'd offer them QPon and a couple of a second round picks and see if that gets it done. Or a heavily protected 2020 1st round pick. I like Smart, but don't think he's worth paying a premium when the team trading him has to find a trade partner.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Considering what Paul George and Jimmy Butler got traded for, is Marcus Smart really going to pull a 1st round pick when everyone knows the Celtics have to trade someone to clear cap space?

I'd offer them QPon and a couple of a second round picks and see if that gets it done. Or a heavily protected 2020 1st round pick. I like Smart, but don't think he's worth paying a premium when the team trading him has to find a trade partner.
    They need someone who can take him on without them taking back a contract. We cannot do that. We need enough non-guaranteed contracts and a pick to get it done (or a 3rd team willing to take on our contract(s)).

Agree. They wanna shed $$$$.
    They will prepare an auction and send him to highest bidder. And want only picks.

So they want only this.
    I can give them only one top3 protected 1st

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    Agree. They wanna shed $$$$.
    They will prepare an auction and send him to highest bidder. And want only picks.

So they want only this.
    I can give them only one top3 protected 1st
    First for Smart? In 2030 maybe

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post

This

Now that Nick Young is off the market, the Pels should offer the full MLE to CJ Miles.

There's a part of me that believes Dell is working hard on making a big trade to solidfy our big 4.

However, there's also a part of me that believes he's just sitting back in his chair chilling with his feet up without a care in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    This
    What if we stretch Asik?

Quote Originally Posted by lsutigers33 View Post
    What if we stretch Asik?
    Only way I stretch Asik if it was to make room for a stud player we wouldn't be able to get other wise. If not we need to just let him expire or potentially move him near the deadline in a deal as an expiring contract. At this point the only way Dell will stretch him is in that scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Only way I stretch Asik if it was to make room for a stud player we wouldn't be able to get other wise. If not we need to just let him expire or potentially move him near the deadline in a deal as an expiring contract. At this point the only way Dell will stretch him is in that scenario.
    Thanks
    So Smart, BrAdley wouldn't fit that scenario? Just curious how they rank against Bledsoe since he looks like the target mostly discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by lsutigers33 View Post
    Thanks
    So Smart, BrAdley wouldn't fit that scenario? Just curious how they rank against Bledsoe since he looks like the target mostly discussed.
    IMO Bradley or Crowder would be 2 guys I would consider stretching him for. They would both be big enough upgrades that Dell would likely use the stretch for if there was no other option.

There are so many exceptional guards in the West. The Pelicans would greatly benefit from getting Bradley or Smart. They're why Boston gives Golden State so much trouble- because they actually make the Warriors' perimeter guys uncomfortable.

So with Nick Young and CJ Miles off the market, I think the team has to rely on a trade. I like this one...

PHX gets:
    SG E. Moore
    SG Q. Pondexter
    C O. Asik
    NO 2018 top 3 protected 1st round pick
    NO 2018 2nd round pick (preferred) or Diallo

NO gets
    PG E. Bledsoe
    SF J. Dudley

Pels can then re-sign Dante Cunningham to a similar contract as Patrick Patterson and sign Ty Lawson with the BAE

Lineup

PG: Bledsoe/Lawson/Cook
    SG: Holiday/Crawford/Jackson
    SF: Hill/Dudley/Miller
    PF: Davis/Cunningham/Diallo
    C: Cousins/Ajinca

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    So with Nick Young and CJ Miles off the market, I think the team has to rely on a trade. I like this one...

PHX gets:
    SG E. Moore
    SG Q. Pondexter
    C O. Asik
    NO 2018 top 3 protected 1st round pick
    NO 2018 2nd round pick (preferred) or Diallo

NO gets
    PG E. Bledsoe
    SF J. Dudley

Pels can then re-sign Dante Cunningham to a similar contract as Patrick Patterson and sign Ty Lawson with the BAE

Lineup

PG: Bledsoe/Lawson/Cook
    SG: Holiday/Crawford/Jackson
    SF: Hill/Dudley/Miller
    PF: Davis/Cunningham/Diallo
    C: Cousins/Ajinca
    This scenario seems too perfect and awesome. So awesome that it probably won't happen unfortunately. But hey, a guy can dream though.

now that Miles is gone, the only guy that really intrigues me at this point is Ian Clark unless you can work a sign & trade for KCP

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    now that Miles is gone, the only guy that really intrigues me at this point is Ian Clark unless you can work a sign & trade for KCP
    I think Ian Clark was a product of playing on Golden State. I wouldn't sign him for anything more than the BAE. KCP will expect to be overpaid for what he brings. A one year prove it deal at 10-12 million would be ideal if he were signed to this team.

Detroit is hard capped. They are not able to receive salary back.
    Forget about KCP

KCP's offer was released. He cannot be a part of a S&T because he is an unrestricted free agent now.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I think Clark would be a good signing for us.

Matt Barnes, Ty Lawson and Anthony Tolliver are all some of Cousins' boys.

I mention that just because among the grand hopes for a major trade and whatnot, it's possible that Boogie's recruiting might merely extend to good vet depth that might come cheaply to replace Frazier, Cunningham, and add a tough experienced vet behind Hill.

Trade Asik + 1st for Jared Dudley
    Trade QPon and cash for space
    Cut Toupane
    Re-sign Dante

Rondo - Jrue - Hill - AD - Boogie
    Jrue - Moore - Hill - Dudley - AD
    Rondo - Moore - Dudley - Dante - Boogie

Quincy Pondexter has been showing up in a lot of videos training with AD lately. I've been counting him out having missed the last two seasons, but he could be a good contributor at the wing spot if he can stay healthy:

Thread Information