Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Jrue Holiday signs 5 year 126 Mil deal with Pels

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Whats a "true sixth man"? Because Jordan Crawford played as well as the guy the just won the award for that. His stats say as much.

And if you are going to include the $11 million incentivized portion of Holiday's contract, then he is no longer in your 13-15 group now is he?
    Ok, so let's just say we could improve our bench in the future w/o paying luxury tax. I don't get your second point. Jrue is still the 13-15 best PG in the league when the next guy is getting paid half his guaranteed money. It's a significant overpay.

Quote Originally Posted by Delko View Post
    When will people realize that whether he got $17m or $30m we are still over the cap for the next 3 seasons (assuming we maxing Boogie which is the plan) and that those $6-$11m are not spendable on any FA?
    Maybe not this year, but it sure as hell hinders our flexibility for the next 4 years which could cost us AD. Holiday is not a 3rd star. He is an average PG getting paid more than 2 top 10 players in the NBA.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Ok, so let's just say we could improve our bench in the future w/o paying luxury tax. I don't get your second point. Jrue is still the 13-15 best PG in the league when the next guy is getting paid half his guaranteed money. It's a significant overpay.
    Harden--CP3--Conley--Parker--Lillard--Curry--Livingston--Bledsoe--Schroeder--Irving--Dragic--Westbrook--Thomas--Walker--Hill--Lowry-- so, Jrue,Teague,Lin interchangeable . I'd say Jrue in bottom side of 20ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Harden--CP3--Conley--Parker--Lillard--Curry--Livingston--Bledsoe--Schroeder--Irving--Dragic--Westbrook--Thomas--Walker--Hill--Lowry-- so, Jrue,Teague,Lin interchangeable . I'd say Jrue in bottom side of 20ish.
    Harden is a SG. Livingston is not better than Holiday. He just plays for a better team and can stay fresh. Parker has lost a step. So, Jrue fits in the 13-15 best PG range.

My second point is if he is achieving those incentives, then he is worth what he is getting paid. Doesn't mater what the next guy is getting paid. If Jrue is playing at a higher level (thus achieving the incentives) then he should be paid higher than the "next guy".

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Harden is a SG. Livingston is not better than Holiday. He just plays for a better team and can stay fresh. Parker has lost a step. So, Jrue fits in the 13-15 best PG range.
    What position did Harden play this year? Either way, he is a better PG than Jrue. Parker has lost a step(that's whatcha got). Well, he's still better than Holiday. As far as Livingston, I don't know what part of Jruea game is better than Livingstons! I'll give EVEN, but I'd take Livingston.

We still haven't heard anything about Justin. I wonder if that part fell through or maybe he was negotiated down.

I wouldn't be upset if he got the BAE.

You managed to leave John Wall off the list.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    If Crabbe's contract wasn't bad, Portland wouldn't be looking to move it one year in. It is widely acknowledged as terrible. Disagreeing with that assesment either shows a lack of understanding about the player or the market.

I'm not even going to get into Jrue's contract because that's been covered extensively enough. The facts are there, you can interpret them how you want. But using Crabbe's contract to justify Jrue's is plain silly.

If anything, Crabbe's contract is an example of what not to do, which is to overpay because everyone else is. That's how bad teams operate.
    Okay fair enough. Let's wait to watch the other contracts being handed out this summer to finish this conversation. I need better examples.

It's not just them, it's also the young bloods just drafted who while they might need a yr or two to adapt, cost a fraction of the price and you get far more bang for your buck.

Fultz
    Ball
    Fox

could all be as good or better than Jrue this coming season at like 1/5th the price. We regularly see star PG's just drafted come in and ball outta control. All three of these cats will be starters from day 1.

Forget what Jrue/Asik/Solomon do to our overall salaries and the complete mayhem and lack of flexibility it'll cause, another HUGE issue from the idiot FO is the complete lack of youth on rookie contracts. That's where you get real value for 3-4 years.
    Last edited by SilkySlim; 07-01-2017 at 10:30 PM.

Hyperbole and pessimism are being woven together in this thread in such a way that creates a dark emo tapestry towards which even David Fisher would have to blush. Or at least give a titter. Bravo, gents.

If Crabbe's contract wasn't bad, Portland wouldn't be looking to move it one year in. It is widely acknowledged as terrible. Disagreeing with that assesment either shows a lack of understanding about the player or the market.

I'm not even going to get into Jrue's contract because that's been covered extensively enough. The facts are there, you can interpret them how you want. But using Crabbe's contract to justify Jrue's is plain silly.

If anything, Crabbe's contract is an example of what not to do, which is to overpay because everyone else is. That's how bad teams operate.
    It's not so much that Crabbe contract is so terrible in a vacuum. It made some sense for Brooklyn to make the offer when they had the cap space, no draft picks, and the a starting position to offer Crabbe. It just made no sense for Portland to match.

What position did Harden play this year? Either way, he is a better PG than Jrue. Parker has lost a step(that's whatcha got). Well, he's still better than Holiday. As far as Livingston, I don't know what part of Jruea game is better than Livingstons! I'll give EVEN, but I'd take Livingston.
    From a Spurs fan: Jrue is far better than Parker... even if Parker was 5 years younger and not currently rehabbing an exploded quad.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    It's not so much that Crabbe contract is so terrible in a vacuum. It made some sense for Brooklyn to make the offer when they had the cap space, no draft picks, and the a starting position to offer Crabbe. It just made no sense for Portland to match.
    I think it's terrible in a vaccum.

Yes, Brooklyn was in a better position to gamble that Crabbe would become a player worthy of that contract due to their cap space and lack of draft assets. So they overpaid, hoping Portland wouldn't match. Portland matched, perhaps naively, because they were also willing to take on the same risk (that Crabbe could live up to the bloated contract), deferring to their ability to develop and project their own players.

The risk did not pay off. Crabbe can shoot the ball, but he brings almost nothing else to the table, especially on the defensive end. His contract now simply sucks, and that is reflected in Portland's desire to move on from him despite only being one-year into the contract.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 07-01-2017 at 11:51 PM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Side note, I'm loving all these past posters coming out their caves and posting again. Let's make PR great again!
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Side note, I'm loving all these past posters coming out their caves and posting again. Let's make PR great again!
    Sounds Good
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

http://en.hispanosnba.com/salaries/t...leans-pelicans

NEW ORLEANS PELICANS TEAM SALARIES 2017-18 SEASON
    PLAYER 2017-18 2018-19 2019-20 2020-21 2021-22
    Jrue Holiday $21,724,138 $23,462,069 $25,200,000 $26,937,931 $28,675,862

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    JJ Reddick just got $23M... y'all bugging
    When I first heard that, I could not believe it. Jrue is better than him.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    http://en.hispanosnba.com/salaries/t...leans-pelicans

NEW ORLEANS PELICANS TEAM SALARIES 2017-18 SEASON
    PLAYER 2017-18 2018-19 2019-20 2020-21 2021-22
    Jrue Holiday $21,724,138 $23,462,069 $25,200,000 $26,937,931 $28,675,862
    Amounts as expected. I would love to know the incentives part. We will wait for the official.

I think it's terrible in a vaccum.

Yes, Brooklyn was in a better position to gamble that Crabbe would become a player worthy of that contract due to their cap space and lack of draft assets. So they overpaid, hoping Portland wouldn't match. Portland matched, perhaps naively, because they were also willing to take on the same risk (that Crabbe could live up to the bloated contract), deferring to their ability to develop and project their own players.

The risk did not pay off. Crabbe can shoot the ball, but he brings almost nothing else to the table, especially on the defensive end. His contract now simply sucks, and that is reflected in Portland's desire to move on from him despite only being one-year into the contract.
    Crabbe is solid defensively much better than Lillard or McCollum. I think his advantage is at the 2 but he plays a lot of 3 where he's somewhat undersized. What made it really bad for Portland is they signed Turner while still having Harkless. I feel strongly that if Blazers would have not matched people would feel totally different about Crabbe's contract. Allen is a solid starter like Otto Porter and KCP.

Quote Originally Posted by smcgull View Post
    When I first heard that, I could not believe it. Jrue is better than him.
    And Jrue got $126 million guaranteed while JJ got $23 million guaranteed.

Rather have Teague at 19 million than Jrue at 25 million

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    Rather have Teague at 19 million than Jrue at 25 million

No doubt, but I'll say the same thing when Demps signed Asik. He's doing the best job of saving his job. I can't fault him for that. He used up all his leeway trying to build a instant playoff contender with the young vet method that has blown up in his face. Now he's in self defense mode. This is the best way to building a loser and we are on that path. Betting the farm on a darkhorse. Hopefully the ball lands on our number this time.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    People think Jrue would have been good value at 22m a year, he gets 25m a year and same people crying about it. Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    People think Jrue would have been good value at 22m a year, he gets 25m a year and same people crying about it. Ridiculous.
    I don't think he's good value at 22 million. At best he's an unreliable above average player.

Thread Information