.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 265

Thread: Jrue Holiday signs 5 year 126 Mil deal with Pels

  1. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Most of the time he missed was because of the family situation. Was healthy last year, but play badly regressed after Cousins trade.
    well now that he's signed with us again... hopefully he and Boogie & AD will work together a lot in the facility over the rest of the summer and get the kinks worked out
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

  2. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by daybreaker View Post
    He's a Top 15 PG being paid like a Top 10 PG. Thats not *terrible*.
    1) He's not going to play PG . 2) He's not Top 15 !

  3. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    1) He's not going to play PG . 2) He's not Top 15 !
    How do you know Jrue is not going to play PG?
    CAW CAW!!!

    -Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

  4. #79
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,629
    I hope the draft pick can start at the SG. Then the starting five will be set.

  5. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    1) He's not going to play PG . 2) He's not Top 15 !
    In terms of guards he isn't top 15 (for sure), but he is a top 15 pg, and 7-10 ranked sg.

    Still doesn't make him worth what we paid though.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

  6. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by daybreaker View Post
    He's a Top 15 PG being paid like a Top 10 PG. Thats not *terrible*.
    Between this July and next, the contract he just singed will not be top 10. So how is he paid like one?

  7. #82
    You think after Asik, Hill, Evans, and Moore... You think Dell would stop overpaying for potential and try to pay a player what they are worth. Paying a non-elite player with an elite contract. Hoping he will turn elite. It's supposed to be the other way around. $25 million a year is too much after the horrendous 4 years here at his bargain contract.

  8. #83
    One point that was made clear that we heard about early on that I forgot about until it was pointed out was Dell didn't want to pay Jrue more than AD.

    With this deal he did not get more. That seems like it was always the limit for Jrue that Dell stuck to.

  9. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    So all the folks that said Demps "outbid himself" with offers of 173 mil or even 144 mil. That talk pretty much dominated this board.

    Can ya'll go jump in a lake now?
    Who else was going to give Jrue 5 at 25 mil?

    This is a horrible deal. A player better then him just got 3 at 19.

    We continually put ourselves in situations like this because Demps is straight trash unless he is scrapping the gutters for marginal talent or something falls into his lap.

  10. #85
    Just ask yourself would another team have paid him that much? I don't think so.

  11. #86
    Max Contract Pelicans78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    14,659
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcenter View Post
    Just ask yourself would another team have paid him that much? I don't think so.
    Even if another team would offer him that, it doesn't mean the Pelicans had to.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

    Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

  12. #87
    wahoo Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by pharcyder View Post
    What you like about this big 3 is that they are young and the prime of their careers. If they resign Cousins to a long term deal then you have 5 years to build something here.
    good post, and good point.

  13. #88
    Demps will be gone after next season and whoever replaces him will be stuck with his bad contracts.

  14. #89
    I can't shake the feeling that this contract is going to be a disaster. This is a player with a significant injury history who didn't show he was a good fit for an AD-Cousins front line. When I see Teague get 3 at 19 mil, I say that's the deal we should have offered Jrue. That would have been reasonable. As for options beyond Jrue, here's one: do nothing. Wait. See how the market shakes out and be content to pick up a Collison. Make a trade later. Just be freakin patient and at least make Holiday show what the market is for him. Instead it's another Asik another Gordon, another deal that ties the franchises hands for years to come and quite possibly ends the last chance we had to build a contender with Davis.

  15. #90
    Max Contract Pelicans78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    14,659
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcenter View Post
    Demps will be gone after next season and whoever replaces him will be stuck with his bad contracts.
    Yup Demps is gonna leave the same mess what Bower left for him.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #91
    SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    663
    I do think his signing back here could have meant more from this aspect. If Jrue had left despite being offered this contract it could have been a red flag to all free agents the team may try to acquire. "If he wouldn't have signed there for that money what does that say about that organization." I think the impact could have been more devastating. I'm not saying its not a lot of dough its just that sometimes in business you got to do stuff like this because the potential for future rewards. I mean if we get Jrue at the top of his game, we've got a very good two way player.

  17. #92
    Yawn. Wake me up when the regular season starts.

  18. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    good post, and good point.

    If they are in their prime, then all we have is a big 2.

    Jrue at no point has proven he deserves to be in the elite category.

    We paid 25 million for a guy that I am not sure will get you much, if any more wins then Collison could have gotten you. I feel today like I did with Asik. We overpaid a guy(based on performance and the market) simply because our GM did such a poor job with talent and cap management that he felt he had no other viable alternative path to keep the team together. So you overpay and hope he out performs his overpayment in the future. But more then likely we just got our new: Gordon, Asik, Hill.

  19. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    You think after Asik, Hill, Evans, and Moore... You think Dell would stop overpaying for potential and try to pay a player what they are worth. Paying a non-elite player with an elite contract. Hoping he will turn elite. It's supposed to be the other way around. $25 million a year is too much after the horrendous 4 years here at his bargain contract.
    Just look at the landscape. OKC lost Kevin Durant last July got nothing for him.
    A year later they get Paul George for damn near nothing.
    We don't have anything of value to offer but overpay for average players.
    Nobody wanted to play here? The Davis Cousins combo did nothing. Demps and Gentry claimed it would open up opportunities.
    Unfortunately the Pelicans just don't have the right GM and Head Coach in place. Again look at the other clubs swinging deals
    Last edited by Buckwheat; 07-01-2017 at 12:56 PM.

  20. #95
    Love it. What's next? I would like to see Rondo brought in as a sixth man. Him and Jrue can play next to each other.

  21. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Love it. What's next? I would like to see Rondo brought in as a sixth man. Him and Jrue can play next to each other.
    I just want some news lol

    Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

  22. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    I just want some news lol

    Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    Next breaking news will probably be Swaggy P signing with the Pels.

  23. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    Next breaking news will probably be Swaggy P signing with the Pels.
    Won't mind that all lol its odd though it seems slower then a lot of other years with news about fa from around the league

    Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

  24. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    Just look at the landscape. OKC lost Kevin Durant last July got nothing for him.
    A year later they get Paul George for damn near nothing.
    We don't have anything of value to offer but overpay for average players.
    Nobody wanted to play here? The Davis Cousins combo did nothing. Demps and Gentry claimed it would open up opportunities.
    Unfortunately the Pelicans just don't have the right GM and Head Coach in place. Again look at the other clubs swinging deals
    It's not our fault the Pacers GM is incompetent. He misjudged the market for PG13 and got bent over by OKC.

  25. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    You think after Asik, Hill, Evans, and Moore... You think Dell would stop overpaying for potential and try to pay a player what they are worth. Paying a non-elite player with an elite contract. Hoping he will turn elite. It's supposed to be the other way around. $25 million a year is too much after the horrendous 4 years here at his bargain contract.
    This isn't a bad contract nor is it based on potential. Otherwise the incentives wouldn't be in there. Why is Moore's contract bad?

    This board needs a serious infusion of folks that know what the hell they are talking about.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •