Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 111 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 58 108 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Agency Thread

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I think you nailed it in your first sentence here. All of that goodwill we built with Jrue maybe comes down to him giving us a chance to match. Seriously, let him go and get some offers and then when he comes back match it and give him a 5th year. Let him set his market but tell him we will match anything and add the extra year nobody else can. Unless someone offers him something crazy of course.
    That's not a terrible plan if it's at all how things are actually happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    That's not a terrible plan if it's at all how things are actually happening.
    We can only hope.

Or stretch Asik and sign Lowry!

Looking at the 2018-2019 salary cap, we have $68 MIL on the cap. Including Boogie, how much cap space will we have then? I ask because, say we pass on Jrue, and go with cheap talent across the board for next season, say Boogie and AD are able to recruit their friends to join them in New Orleans. How much cap space will we have to spend on those friends?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

We have 63 million tied up for next year as of now without Boogie. http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_orleans_pelicans/
    would need to know what the cheap contracts are but that figure also includes Ajinca and Asik.

Yeah, I wonder because...if we don't sign Jrue, but that opens us up cap wise to sign a legit big 3 member next season...then I can wait. Aint no way he is getting $22+ MIL from us.

No way Jrue gets paid more than AD. None.

Shouldn't anyway.

All-Star
    Wall if John Wall was mulling his extension to negotiate a trade to the Pels ? Maybe he will Paul George/Chris Paul the Wizards and tell them I'm going there next year, trade me here now and you get a 1st and some contracts back.

And then we resign Holiday.

"The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

I agree with fat boy on espn, we're stuck. Draft produces little for us. Little cap room. Wasting $$$ on Jrue only keeps us from getting worse. I see Boogie leaving next summer as no way this is a playoff roster.

So I trade Boogie now or at the deadline.

You trade Cousins you might as well blow it up and move AD too. No way he's staying if we dump Cousins.

In Sac all Boogie talked about was needing to win. He's dying to get into the playoffs and go deep. Thats where so much of his frustration comes from, losing yr after yr after yr. But he's no spring chicken anymore, he turns 27 before the season tips. This is his prime. No way after getting screwed signing his last ext does he sign one here and risk his prime if we're not in the playoffs.

But a star PG/SG/SF would fit better with AD given our sad excuse for a coach and limited options. Homies gotta be real, this roster won't make the playoffs w/ this coach and we have now and Feb to get anything for Boogie or he walks.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkySlim View Post
    I agree with fat boy on espn, we're stuck. Draft produces little for us. Little cap room. Wasting $$$ on Jrue only keeps us from getting worse. I see Boogie leaving next summer as no way this is a playoff roster.

So I trade Boogie now or at the deadline.
    So you're saying we trade for Boogie last year and then dump him before we even see how he and AD play together after an offseason together? Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    So you're saying we trade for Boogie last year and then dump him before we even see how he and AD play together after an offseason together? Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
    So you're saying play Boogie with a terrible roster & terrible coach in the last yr of his deal & get nothing for him as this roster doesn't make the playoffs in a stacked west, so we're then left with AD and nothing, because we traded for him a few months ago? Great argument.

All-Star
    So you're saying play Boogie with a terrible roster & terrible coach in the last yr of his deal & get nothing for him as this roster doesn't make the playoffs in a stacked west, so we're then left with AD and nothing, because we traded for him a few months ago? Great argument.
    There is no market to trade Boogie as an expiring anyway, see Paul George... this is no NBA 2k.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    @sam_amick reporting on Twitter. After meeting tonight, Holiday has NO DEAL yet and will continue tomorrow.

The West is stacked at the top, but the vulnerable teams at the bottom are even moreso now.

Warriors of course
    Spurs will be back, although LMA rocking the boat may slow them.
    Houston of course made the big play
    OKC makes the big play
    and then Minny said screw it, we're not leaving this to chance, and went all in

ok, so big Big 4, then aggressive Minny moves

but Jazz so far mostly spinning wheels, and obviously could get really hurt by Hayward. Keep him, they are #6

Denver...poked around a bit, but right now are no better
    Portland really has no chance to be better
    Memphis is in trouble, stuck, aging, Zach may be leaving etc.
    Clippers are in trouble. Got back plenty of players, but lost CP3 and likely Reddick, and feel like they are shaking things up.
    Pels 2 more superstars

Phoenix, Lakers, Sacramento and Dallas look to be solidly out before things even begin.

So yeah, Top 4 is really tough, but #5 and #6 are not impossible hurdles, and #7 and #8 figure to be a donnybrook. There's room for a good team to make it as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Delko View Post
    Wall if John Wall was mulling his extension to negotiate a trade to the Pels ? Maybe he will Paul George/Chris Paul the Wizards and tell them I'm going there next year, trade me here now and you get a 1st and some contracts back.

And then we resign Holiday.
    Thats what I am thinking. The Wiz have offered him a max, and he is mulling it over. Seems like something is going on there. I would gladly take not paying Jrue if it helped pave the way for Wall next off-season.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Thats what I am thinking. The Wiz have offered him a max, and he is mulling it over. Seems like something is going on there. I would gladly take not paying Jrue if it helped pave the way for Wall next off-season.
    Unfortunately I double checked and he still has 2 years and will be FA in 2019 only. So it is nothing but a dream I'm afraid.

Even though Wall has two more years left on his contract, if he doesn't sign the contract Washington had offered him anytime this season, then he becomes a Paul George.

Who knows, maybe Pels are doing a sign and trade for Wall after/if Jrue signs? Jrue, 1st and 2nd, and Hill?

OKC management is doing a great job second year in a row. Their last year deal made Orlando GM lose his job. This year deal is no different IMO and should make Pacers GM lose his job

Mills got 50mil for 4 years. Great deal for SA
    http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=2...529475319402-4

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    Darren Wolfson: As Taylor said on podcast, backup PG is a want. Ty Lawson is one #Twolves have called on. So have Pelicans, OKC, Kings. Secondary priority. – via Twitter DWolfsonKSTP

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    You're assuming that Dell Demps thinks 1) we have a terrible coach, 2) we have a terrible roster, and 3) we can't make the playoffs.

Why the hell would he not even see what this team can do before blowing it up? That's not an argument, that's asinine. Plus, the only thing that's happened so far is the T'Wolves became a better team. Other playoff teams are still playoff teams. And the Clippers just became a lottery team unless they have some great move up their sleeves. The Blazers were a .500 ball club and there's evidence that the lineup of AD, Cousins, and Jrue can be a pretty good one, albeit in a small sample size.

Lost in everything is that Jrue Holiday is not a bad player. A great deal inconsistent, but not a bad player. I can't consider a team with AD and Cousins a terrible roster any way.

That's the problem with Jrue. Saying he's not a bad player is the best thing we can say. He's basically been an above average player overall getting paid like an elite PG. And yes, we have an average roster, bad coach, and a bad GM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Thread Information