Pelicans Report

Page 53 of 111 FirstFirst ... 3 43 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 63 103 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 2752

Thread: Free Agency Thread

I've settled on the fact that we can't lure big time FAs to N.O. Its been that way since they got here. The only way we'll get stars here are to either draft them or trade for them.

The problem with trading is that its not as simple as proposing a trade, and it goes through. You can't even do that on 2K without adjusting the settings. It takes another team to agree on compensation for their player. Folks here are killing Dell for not pulling the trigger, but Dell can only do so much.

As much as I would love to see us find a way to grab Bledsoe from Phoenix I just don't see that happening. Free agency is dried up, and Nick young chose less money and probably less playing time (speculation on my part) to go to GS. Just shows the predicament we're in.

Aside from a signing or 2 from our summer league squad I don't think our roster ill look much different than it does today, unfortunately. If we were to somehow pull off a trade for EB I'd be happy because I believe we're only a couple players away (and luck with health) from being a really good team that can possibly make GS sweat a lil bit.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Phoenix has said they want to go young or take on bad contracts for picks. They have not said they will give away their good players. To get Bledsoe would likely take a young player and a 1st rounder. We have no valuable young talent. Maybe Phoenix will think differently. Bledsoe has missed over 100 games the last 4 seasons, so I would hope we do not offer multiple 1st rounders.
    You dont think Diallo has value? I don't care where he was drafted, he looked really good in the D League and in limited time with the Pels last year. If we as fans can see the talent and potential, I'm sure NBA scouts can as well. I think a deal centered around Diallo and our 2018 first could net us a player like Bledsoe. The problem is I don't want us to give up Diallo because I really believe he's gonna end up being a big time player. So I disagree with your point that we have no valuable young talent.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    For one, the team does have assets to trade. For two, Phoenix has made it known that they are having a fire sale. We've seen what happens when teams do that before right? You aren't new to this basketball stuff right?
    The Pelicans have assets to trade?

Asik has negative value.
    Solo and Moore aren't going anywhere, because Pel's need them in their rotation.
    Everyone else outside the big 3 is a fringe NBA player.
    Diallo may have some minor value.
    So pretty much all the Pel's have to trade for impact players are draft picks.
    Now draft picks are in high demand. We'll see if Demps can land an impact player with the assets he has.

Phoenix has said they want to go young or take on bad contracts for picks. They have not said they will give away their good players. To get Bledsoe would likely take a young player and a 1st rounder. We have no valuable young talent. Maybe Phoenix will think differently. Bledsoe has missed over 100 games the last 4 seasons, so I would hope we do not offer multiple 1st rounders.
    We don't? We've got Diallo, Frank Jackson, future 1sts, and a host of non guaranteed trade multiplier contracts.

Then again, when teams like Phoenix announce their intentions like this, of course they'll try to start the bidding high. They won't quite get what their looking for hence--fire sale.

This board needs some xanacs or whatever is used for depression these days.

Thought this was interesting, but not surprising:

Albert Nahmad: The Wizards are one of three teams (Pelicans, Hornets) to have never paid the luxury tax in their history.
    2 days ago – via Twitter AlbertNahmad
    If you're not willing to spend a few extra $$ you won't win.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Last edited by Spaniard; 07-06-2017 at 08:25 AM.

If we had got Cousins now instead of mid season everyone would be over the moon. It looks like the big move was already made - in season. Granted, I really want to see Dell get some damn shooters on this team, but the sky ain't falling...

The Franchise    Contributor   

We can post all we want about what our assets are worth, but it is more of a factor for us what other teams are bidding. Boston 'has' to dump some salary, but who else is bidding for Smart, and what are they bidding? (If I was Utah I'd love to s&t Hayward for Crowder, but Bos is going to want a real deal for him, and possibly more than Utah will want to pay as the headline will be 'Haywood + X, Y, and Z for Crowder' and while unfair that may be tough to swallow) But if that s&t happens then Bos has less urgency to trade Smart, and his price could go up, so who else wants him and what can they offer? And I don't get Pho having a fire sale price for Bled, what's their rush to unload a good player on a good contract, so who else is bidding and what do they have? Lin is the less complicated one. The Nets don't care about results right now and just want picks or young players, and will take bad deals for more picks - but who is 'desperate' for Lin? Only hurry there is Lin wants out and making his agent happy could help you in the future, however slightly. I keep hearing rumors of rumors of those three guys, but not even informed speculation as to what other teams are interested

If our only move of the "offseason" is landing Boogie, then our ship is sunk. We needed more than just Boogie when we actually traded for him, we need more than Boogie now that we actually do have him. FA isn't but a week old, so we have time, but if game one rolls around and the best we have done is surrounded Boogie and AD with the same squad from last year (plus Darrius Miller and Frank Jackson) we will be in a bad spot.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Banned
    Guys it is proven that the Davis Cousins combo didn't do anything to attract players to New Orleans.
    So let's just hope Dell leaves it as is. I don't want him to mortgage the future for his desperation to save his job.
    He will be replaced at seasons end along with Alvin Gentry. Cousins situation is in his hands. If he gets off and shows he can be a team player and control his actions on the court he will get huge financial opportunities
    Last edited by Buckwheat; 07-06-2017 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    If our only move of the "offseason" is landing Boogie, then our ship is sunk. We needed more than just Boogie when we actually traded for him, we need more than Boogie now that we actually do have him. FA isn't but a week old, so we have time, but if game one rolls around and the best we have done is surrounded Boogie and AD with the same squad from last year (plus Darrius Miller and Frank Jackson) we will be in a bad spot.
    They'll be a playoff team just based on the Jrue/AD/Boogie core -granted perhaps a low seed, but still - I wouldn't call that a 'bad spot.' But yes we all hope they do more. But I'm just saying - if the Boogie trade had just happened, no one would be complaining. Its a a huge move and if that's our only "big" move of the past season and offseason its nothing to scoff at.
    Last edited by Caleb462; 07-06-2017 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb462 View Post
    They'll be a playoff team just based on the Jrue/AD/Boogie core -granted perhaps a low seed, but still - I wouldn't call that a 'bad spot.' But yes we all hope they do more. But I'm just saying - if the Boogie trade had just happened, no one would be complaining. Its a a huge move and if that's our only "big" move of the past season and offseason its nothing to scoff at.
    What really hurt us in that boogie trade is that we gave up nothing but guards.literrally strAight guards. Like damn I wish we could of given up Aa over tyrekw or galloway
    I'm a grinder

We don't need an Allstar to make the playoffs, but we need a starting caliber PG or SG, and Moore and QPON are depth players and not the answer. The West is just so stacked right now. We would be a top 5 team this year in the East with our current roster which is crazy since we might miss the playoffs in the stacked West with the same roster.

Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post
    We don't need an Allstar to make the playoffs, but we need a starting caliber PG or SG, and Moore and QPON are depth players and not the answer. The West is just so stacked right now. We would be a top 5 team this year in the East with our current roster which is crazy since we might miss the playoffs in the stacked West with the same roster.
    That's where I am at with my thinking as well. Maybe the move Demps has been working on is getting us into the East.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    You dont think Diallo has value? I don't care where he was drafted, he looked really good in the D League and in limited time with the Pels last year. If we as fans can see the talent and potential, I'm sure NBA scouts can as well. I think a deal centered around Diallo and our 2018 first could net us a player like Bledsoe. The problem is I don't want us to give up Diallo because I really believe he's gonna end up being a big time player. So I disagree with your point that we have no valuable young talent.
    I love the potential of Diallo, but think we overvalue our own players. He may have some limited values, but in order to make contracts match, we would have to include contracts that make no sense to the Suns. That would entail us not only having to pay for Bledsoe with a pick, but giving them additional compensation to take on contracts that do not meet their goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugeaux II View Post
    We can post all we want about what our assets are worth, but it is more of a factor for us what other teams are bidding. Boston 'has' to dump some salary, but who else is bidding for Smart, and what are they bidding? (If I was Utah I'd love to s&t Hayward for Crowder, but Bos is going to want a real deal for him, and possibly more than Utah will want to pay as the headline will be 'Haywood + X, Y, and Z for Crowder' and while unfair that may be tough to swallow) But if that s&t happens then Bos has less urgency to trade Smart, and his price could go up, so who else wants him and what can they offer? And I don't get Pho having a fire sale price for Bled, what's their rush to unload a good player on a good contract, so who else is bidding and what do they have? Lin is the less complicated one. The Nets don't care about results right now and just want picks or young players, and will take bad deals for more picks - but who is 'desperate' for Lin? Only hurry there is Lin wants out and making his agent happy could help you in the future, however slightly. I keep hearing rumors of rumors of those three guys, but not even informed speculation as to what other teams are interested
    The fire sale comes from the fact that Phoenix allowed rumors to leak that they want to move on from certain players on their team. Bledsoe obviously one of them. If you want to receive good value for him, then you come out and announce that he is part of your future plans. Maybe in a different off ball role, but sell the idea that you value the guy.

They haven't done that plus they got a young guy in Ullis ready to take over.

Therefore, the last thing they want is a good player just moping around in their locker room. They almost have to get rid of Bledsoe now and everybody knows it. This is not rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    We don't? We've got Diallo, Frank Jackson, future 1sts, and a host of non guaranteed trade multiplier contracts.

Then again, when teams like Phoenix announce their intentions like this, of course they'll try to start the bidding high. They won't quite get what their looking for hence--fire sale.

This board needs some xanacs or whatever is used for depression these days.
    First, calm down. Second, combined, Diallo and Jackson have a combined cap value of $1.3 million. We would have to include much more cap value to be able to accept Bledsoe's $14.5 million cap value. That means they would have to take on a contract or contracts from us that are not young talent. Can we convince them to do that without including multiple 1sts? If so, great. However, they would have to really want to dump Bledsoe and have no other suitors.

That's where I am at with my thinking as well. Maybe the move Demps has been working on is getting us into the East.
    I will keep praying every night that we move to East or more realistically...Kill conferences and top 16 teams go to playoffs with 1 vs 16 and etc. This would solve a lot of issues with how lopsided the conferences are and I could see the owners in the west voting on this. Also it would mean more to be a top seed! GS vs 16th team is way easier than GS vs 8th in west. It would actually bring more importance to regular season.

First, calm down. Second, combined, Diallo and Jackson have a combined cap value of $1.3 million. We would have to include much more cap value to be able to accept Bledsoe's $14.5 million cap value. That means they would have to take on a contract or contracts from us that are not young talent. Can we convince them to do that without including multiple 1sts? If so, great. However, they would have to really want to dump Bledsoe and have no other suitors.
    A third team could get involved so they wouldn't necessarily need to take on one of our contracts. Obviously its more complicated and takes more time to pull off.

Quote Originally Posted by 23speedkillz View Post
    A third team could get involved so they wouldn't necessarily need to take on one of our contracts. Obviously its more complicated and takes more time to pull off.
    True, but the 3rd team would need incentive to help. It sure appears that Phoenix would have to really want to dump Bledsoe and have no other suitors for us to be able to make something happen. With his injury history and their commitment to rebuilding, maybe it is possible that this is the case.

Pelicans Podcaster (@SilverAndMac)

7/6/17, 7:50 AM
    If I were a betting man, I'd bet on Pels making a move to add a guy who will be somewhere between 4 and 7 in the rotation in the next 48 hrs

Hmm, that's a big range. Must be a lot of moving parts.

I agree 100% Boogie is no where near enough this team needs another great player and several quality back ups we have four or five spots that need filled and if we're not careful and show we're willing to spend Boogie will leave next year and if he goes you may as well take a kings ransom for AD and start rebuilding . This off season is critical whether people want to admit it or not .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Free Agency Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb462 View Post
    The Boogie trade did not just happen I wish everyone would stop saying that we need a lot more than Boogie . Let's pretend we just got Boogie and it will make us all feel better about doing nothing in free agency that's a loser mentality. The future is now we have to do more hopefully that will happen this weekend like some " insiders" are saying but I highly doubt anything that's going to move the needle will actually happen .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MistaWhoDat; 07-06-2017 at 10:16 AM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    I am guessing the fact that Toupane and Cook can't be traded until the 8th is why nothing has been said officially.

True, but the 3rd team would need incentive to help. It sure appears that Phoenix would have to really want to dump Bledsoe and have no other suitors for us to be able to make something happen. With his injury history and their commitment to rebuilding, maybe it is possible that this is the case.
    Just an example say a team like Minnesota who needs more floor spacers "shooters" a guy like E'twuan whom thibs is familiar with and fond of from the time they spent in Chicago would be a great fit.

Thread Information