Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Sauces on Jrue's contract #possibleheresay

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Ian Clark and James Michael McAdoodoo are two players I'd be happy to have from GSW.
    wouldn't say no to Clark, BAE?

Quote Originally Posted by shanesy View Post
    Biyombo signed for 2/$6
    Koufos signed 4/$33
    McGee signed for 1/$1.27.
    All players on the level of Asik who could have given just as much. We had the ability to sign with our space. This issue wasn't whether you resign Asik as that was a given but it was the length and price of the contract that most disagreed with at the time. Those three could have given us just as much and they were mentioned here if I remember correctly. I know hindsight is 20/20.
    There weren't any suitors reported going for Asik and that is how Demps outbid himself.
    Admit that is horrible hindsight then stop it. The hell would this team sign Koufos or McGee for when they got exactly what they wanted for Asik. Biyombo is the only one you pointed out that isn't a completely stupid idea, but even he was a playoff flash. Hasn't been heard from since. Asik has had a better career than Biyombo including these injured last 2 years.

Demps didn't outbid himself on Asik no matter how silly these arguments get.

OG Hornets Fan - Est. 1988 TxAggie713's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I think you pull D.C. And AD into a room and discuss Jrue and his brother. What are their expectations for the future and who would they like us to go after (so they both stay). That will give us a good idea as too resigning Jrue or not. As for Jrue money I'd consider giving him 25 mill this year if his contract goes down every year and Justin shouldn't get the full MLE. 4-5 mill is a huge raise for Justin and should be plenty good enough. I want them both but not to the detriment of our cap over the next few years.
    Exactly this... whatever its going to take to make AD feel like the team is doing what is best for the present AND future, with him being a part of those. Give AD some ownership in the decisions being made.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Do you hear that from "sources"?

Enes Kanter singed a 4/70 with OKC on Jul 13th. Tyson Chandler signed a 4/52 oh Jul 9th. Robin Lopez signed a 4/54 on Jul 9th. Asik signed a 5/58 (5th year voidable with 3 mil guaranteed, 10.5 cap hit this year) on Jul 9th.

Mozgov signed his tender on Jul 8th, the only one to sign before the group above. Asik was signed to the cheapest contract of this group.
    Those are the dates the contracts were actually signed. All of the agreements took place almost immediately into free agency. Kanter was restricted so he had to go through an offer sheet if I recall.

Demps set the market with his contract to asik out the gate. Therefore he bid against himself again. Those guys give you exactly what asik gives for significantly less money. Asik also hasn't been heard from in the same amount of time. Your choice to see it the way you want it. Agree to disagree.

Right... so that's the logic though. If you overpay Jrue by $3m to $5m, but instead of using a pick on another PG because you loss Jrue, you spend a pick on Fournier...

Is it palatable if that's the logic?

And you'd still have your MLE because you'd be operating above the cap, whereas otherwise you're trading a pick to replace Jrue and you lose the MLE.

That's why I'm leaning towards not judging the Jrue signing in a vacuum.
    This has been my argument for months now. The only thing that has changed is teams that are Jrue destinations that are also going to want to spend on Justin will be very limited.

Just because it makes sense to overpay Jrue some, doesn't mean we should just throw the max at him.

There is value to keeping a pick and the MLE. There is also value to having cap flexibility in future years.

We really need a middle ground with Jrue.

Right... so that's the logic though. If you overpay Jrue by $3m to $5m, but instead of using a pick on another PG because you loss Jrue, you spend a pick on Fournier...

Is it palatable if that's the logic?

And you'd still have your MLE because you'd be operating above the cap, whereas otherwise you're trading a pick to replace Jrue and you lose the MLE.

That's why I'm leaning towards not judging the Jrue signing in a vacuum.
    This has been my logic as well. Trade pick (with Ajinca/QPon/Moore if needed) for a PG or SF, re-sign Jrue and play him at the 2, use MLE on the position you didn't trade for. Just thought of this one:

Trade top 10 protected 2018 1st for Patrick Beverly (Only if Blake Griffin leaves)
    Sign Jrue Holiday to a 4 yr/100 mil
    Use MLE to sign CJ Miles to a 3 yr/24 mil (Sadly, I've had to give up on the Joe Ingles dream as he will probably get more than the MLE)
    Use BAE to sign back PF (Anthony Tolliver?)
    Edit: or sign Dante to a 3 yr/15 mil (last year Team Option)

Beverly/Cook/Jackson
    Jrue/Moore/Crawford
    Miles/Hill/QPon
    AD/Cunningham
    Boogie/Ajinca/Diallo/Asik
    Last edited by neitzelbaby12; 06-29-2017 at 09:01 PM.
    Welcome to be here

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Those are the dates the contracts were actually signed. All of the agreements took place almost immediately into free agency. Kanter was restricted so he had to go through an offer sheet if I recall.
    So did Asik. The negotiations occured before then. These GMs know these things and they know the market long before fans/bloggers/"sources" do. The bottom line is Demps did not bid against himself nor did he overpay for Asik compared to what those players were paid. That is just a black and white fact. All people are doing right now is using hindsight to throw salt like whiny children. The man got hurt and never returned to form. Those are the breaks, but Demps still did NOT overpay at the time the contract was signed

Quote Originally Posted by shanesy View Post
    Demps set the market with his contract to asik out the gate. Therefore he bid against himself again. Those guys give you exactly what asik gives for significantly less money. Asik also hasn't been heard from in the same amount of time. Your choice to see it the way you want it. Agree to disagree.
    Demps set the market? The agreement for Asik came out Jul 2. A day after the official new NBA year. If anything the opposite happened and Asik got paid accordingly.

Now you sound like the multiple account one I shall not name.

Now if Holiday actually signs for 27 - 30 mil, then whine. But until then, stop acting like thats a done deal. Demps has NOT shown himself to hand out those types of contracts to players like Holiday.
    Last edited by luckyman; 06-29-2017 at 09:24 PM.

So did Asik. The negotiations occured before then. These GMs know these things and they know the market long before fans/bloggers/"sources" do. The bottom line is Demps did not bid against himself nor did he overpay for Asik compared to what those players were paid. That is just a black and white fact. All people are doing right now is using hindsight to throw salt like whiny children. The man got hurt and never returned to form. Those are the breaks, but Demps still did NOT overpay at the time the contract was signed
    So you are saying that contract was the market for what Asik had done to date and the fact that he was going to be playing in a Gentry offense (a fast paced offense that relies on good passing big men)? There is no hindsight at all. It was a terrible mistake from day 1 and most knew it.

Interesting-

Ryan Berger‏
    @BoatRich

Ramona Shelburne on the Lowe Post said Pels will go all out to sign Jrue at all cost. If they lose him, Pels might call DEN about Mudiay

So you are saying that contract was the market for what Asik had done to date and the fact that he was going to be playing in a Gentry offense (a fast paced offense that relies on good passing big men)? There is no hindsight at all. It was a terrible mistake from day 1 and most knew it.
    Omer Asik's most productive season in the NBA came on a team that was #1 in pace and points. They were 6th in assists and Ortg.

Interesting-
    So all the rumors are correct that we will overpay for Holiday.

Omer Asik's most productive season in the NBA came on a team that was #1 in pace and points. They were 6th in assists and Ortg.
    When he was younger and before his back issues. How was his passing?

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    So all the rumors are correct that we will overpay for Holiday.
    Yeah, I think that is a foregone conclusion.

I completely forgot about this guy until he popped up this morning in the news talking about the Rockets going after PG13.

Get ready to see this guys mug A LOT over the next week.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I wish there was something we could do. Some way where we can say that we aren't against signing Jrue at all, but that we can't throw dockets at him like he's going to change our fortunes. Why can't Jrue be best friends with LeBron or Carmelo? Have some huge push for the Cavs to get him.

And where's the Mudiay stuff even spring from?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I wish there was something we could do. Some way where we can say that we aren't against signing Jrue at all, but that we can't throw dockets at him like he's going to change our fortunes.
    If I had to bet money, I'd say Dell is well aware how Jrue's contract will be viewed by Pels fans. But a GM cannot be scared of doing what he feels is right based off of what the fans think is right or wrong.

The majority of people here believe Jrue is going to get overpaid, but if Dell feels this is the best way for our future then he's going to do it. My main hope is that since Dell has a lot more inside knowledge than any poster here or any podcast or twitter follower, that maybe he will actually make the right choice, even if we think it's bad.

Well, Demps does have a track record that screams "don't trust what I'm about to do, because I don't trust what I'm about to do."

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Well, Demps does have a track record that screams "don't trust what I'm about to do, because I don't trust what I'm about to do."
    What evidence do you have that Demps has ever made a move he didn't believe in?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    If I had to bet money, I'd say Dell is well aware how Jrue's contract will be viewed by Pels fans. But a GM cannot be scared of doing what he feels is right based off of what the fans think is right or wrong.

The majority of people here believe Jrue is going to get overpaid, but if Dell feels this is the best way for our future then he's going to do it. My main hope is that since Dell has a lot more inside knowledge than any poster here or any podcast or twitter follower, that maybe he will actually make the right choice, even if we think it's bad.
    I agree that conventional wisdom would lead you to believe that Demps knows more than every fan/media guy out there. However, it doesn't mean that he is always doing the right thing. I'm sure he knows that Jrue can get deal at some other team but that doesn't mean you HAVE to overpay him. I think Demps is scared that Holiday is going to leave for another team based on what Holiday's people are telling him and he going to overpay. Personally as well as others on this board/podcasters believe that Demps should call his bluff and not overpay a guy just because he says something may be out there. We feel like Demps should let the market dictate what Holiday is worth and if his feelings get hurt or he just doesn't want to be here than see you later. I'm sure Demps could have gotten Holiday to resign for about 20 mil a year if he would have negotiated with him instead of getting him whatever he wants. If your 3rd best player (and a middle of the pack PG at that) on your team doesn't want to be here and compete for a championship than oh well see you later.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post

I completely forgot about this guy until he popped up this morning in the news talking about the Rockets going after PG13.

Get ready to see this guys mug A LOT over the next week.
    Lmao, okay this needs to become a thing on here. It's all about them sauces them sauces ��

If this is actually true this would be very, very hard to swallow. 28 mio is WAY above market-value...

What I am even more concerned about? What happens if this is true and Jrue doesn't accept it? No man with even a little reason goes into a negotiation with his BEST AND LAST offer. Jrue is probably that smart to know that. So if 112 mio for 4 years is Demp's first offer... what is his best?! Man, I am really, really concerned...

Quote Originally Posted by Werdiknight View Post
    If this is actually true this would be very, very hard to swallow. 28 mio is WAY above market-value...

What I am even more concerned about? What happens if this is true and Jrue doesn't accept it? No man with even a little reason goes into a negotiation with his BEST AND LAST offer. Jrue is probably that smart to know that. So if 112 mio for 4 years is Demp's first offer... what is his best?! Man, I am really, really concerned...
    Rumor was that the first offer was 4 years/$100 million or 5 years/$120 million. So, this is a negotiated offer.

I don't blame Jrue for wanting that money, if any of us were in his position we would feel the same way. As fans however, who honestly wants to spend that kind of money on a player who will be playing a different position than the one he is used to because he wasn't effective enough as a point guard?

Thread Information