Pelicans Report

Thread: Successful offseason?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Successful offseason?

What does a successful offseason look like for this team? I think we are going to see an awesome pels team next season. Much better than we've seen in years.

What if we signed Justin and Jrue Holiday? And..... what if we added Rondo for cheap to come off the bench? I think if we pulled this off our team would improve.

Also, move any assets we can to get what we need. This team can beat anyone if we get the right pieces. We don't need a superstar. We need high character guys and vets and toughness and chemistry and shooters. Rondo on a one year cheap deal might be worth the risk. He's got problems but he's an experienced player with a history of success.

Another thought... forget Rondo, go after the Holidays and Sign Livingston. Can we do that? He'd be a great backup pg. adding Justin and Livingston would definitely make this team more solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's hard to say because the direction of the offseason is dictated by Jrue's decision to return, and the contract he receives upon returning. If Jrue returns, we're likely operating over the cap and limited to our exceptions (unless we're able to shed a few more contracts via trades/stretching). If Jrue leaves, we're operating under the cap and retain the flexibility to make uneven trades and/or sign free agents to reasonable contracts.

The direction also somewhat depends on the direction of our offensive system: whether or not we're completely buying into Finch's system, predominantly retaining Gentry's system, or adopting some sort of hybrid between Finch's and Gentry's system. If we're still going to run a Gentry-heavy offense, a playmaking guard should be prioritized. If we're transitioning into a Finch-heavy offense, playmakers would be a plus, but take a backseat to effective spacers and cutters. Given Gentry's recent remarks, I imagine we'll run a more diversified offense, but remain PnR heavy.

If I had to guess, I think we'll re-sign Jrue to something like 4 yrs/100m and proceed from there.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 06-26-2017 at 11:46 PM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    A successful offseason is signing or trading for a true third banana that helps lock up Boogie. A cherry on top would be the cap gymnastics allowing us to retain Jrue, but that is not necessarily a marker for a successful offseason IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned
    The latest Vegas odds have the Pelicans 100/1 to win a title.

Thread Information