Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pelicans UDFA signing thread

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    If Diallo is on a steady curve of progression then he could contend for MVP of *pfft* Summer League.

That's the unsung storyline of the offseason for me. How much is he improving? If he gives us steady minutes off the bench sooner rather than later that could make a big difference.

I find it tiresome that here we are again with little information on the summer league roster. We know Jok is on it and the draftee is not playing in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Any news on the kid from Florida whose name escapes me right now?
    pat young

Jordan Mathews.
    23 yo 6'4" Shooting guard has been added to SL.
    As per MM twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    pat young
    I think he signed with another team overseas recently.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Jordan Mathews.
    23 yo 6'4" Shooting guard has been added to SL.
    As per MM twitter.
    He played for the Zags.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I think he signed with another team overseas recently.
    i remember mac saying recently that we still have an eye on him. Id love for him to be on our G league team whenever we get one

Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    i remember mac saying recently that we still have an eye on him. Id love for him to be on our G league team whenever we get one
    He signed new deal overseas. In Italy. Forget about him.
    Also he had surgery recently.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    SL signing

David Pick: New Orleans Pelicans are bringing in Euroleague forward Royce O’Neale for Summer League, a source said. He signed with Zalgiris Kaunas.

Jok, O'Neale, Matthews, Jackson...are we going to sign anyone over 6'5? Asking for a friend.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Jok, O'Neale, Matthews, Jackson...are we going to sign anyone over 6'5? Asking for a friend.
    Jok is 6'6 right?

I thought he was 6'5, but if he is 6'6 I guess that's better. Just seems on the small side for a sf.

You have Toupane and Diallo
    SL is trash. It does not really matter who is 10-15th player on SL roster.
    It is all about developing cook and diallo and watching Mathews and Jok.

Jok (and maybe Mathews) will take probably one two-way contract.

We don't have many roster spots left.
    Pels will be in win-now mode. In 15 roster spots we will have one rookie (14 left). there is a possibility that Asik will stay (if over the cap).
    If Jrue walks, and we won't have roster spots - we will clear as much space as possible (Cook might be let go).

I will rather wait to the second week of free agency to fill the roster with minimum guys.

KJ McDaniels is now available as a FA
    We must give this guy serious consideration
    Poor man's Iguadala

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    We're really going all in on 2 guards it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by mikecia View Post
    KJ McDaniels is now available as a FA
    We must give this guy serious consideration
    Poor man's Iguadala
    Very poor man's. He is overrated by many fans.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    We're really going all in on 2 guards it seems.
    The idea is Boogie as point so it makes sense we want combo guards over true point guards.

Maybe this gives us an idea of who we will or won't target in free agency. Or maybe we already have a tentative deal in place for a more traditional point.

But Dell and everyone else has been pretty consistent with what they want for this team. Shooting.

To me he's just a role player with some upside
    not a star but a cheap player that can excel in our system
    We don't have much better right now
    Last edited by mikecia; 06-26-2017 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    The idea is Boogie as point so it makes sense we want combo guards over true point guards.

Maybe this gives us an idea of who we will or won't target in free agency. Or maybe we already have a tentative deal in place for a more traditional point.

But Dell and everyone else has been pretty consistent with what they want for this team. Shooting.
    I've seen you say this before but are you seriously meaning boogie cousins as the primary ball handler?
    I'm a grinder

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    I've seen you say this before but are you seriously meaning boogie cousins as the primary ball handler?
    I mean Cousins will have the ball at the top of the key or 3pt line and initiate the offense. This is the reason we brought in Finch.

That is also what Gentry confirmed that he will be the "point center." https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2017/6...-julius-randle

Apparently Peter Jok been on the Pelicans radar for a while. He declined a two way offer with the Warriors, to choose to play with us. Says we were his number one option. He was told him making the roster was highly possible.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/spo...ans/422672001/

I'm really rooting for this guy. Been one of my favorite prospects for months
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Pels loved him last year.

DEll has a history of loving someone and his love lasts long (see Solomon, Jackson etc)

great link

couple nice quotes from the article

1. GSW wanted him, this may mean something.
    2. Strong interview is sometimes better than workout - see Diallo
    3. Looks like it does not need to be a two-way deal...

“As the draft went, I didn’t understand why they didn’t pick me,” Jok said. “But afterward, it made sense.”

Jok indicated he had a good path at a two-way deal with the NBA champion Golden State Warriors, but he and Emens surmised the best shot at a full-season roster spot was with New Orleans.

After his junior year at Iowa, Jok tested the NBA waters without hiring an agent. He was only able to work out for one team that spring before hurting his wrist. He doesn’t remember exactly how many 3-pointers he made in that workout, but it was somewhere around 80 out of 100.

That team was the Pelicans.

This year, Jok worked out for 13 NBA teams. New Orleans wasn’t one of them.

But, he said, he remembered having a strong interview with Pelicans leadership at the NBA Draft Combine in May.
    Last edited by pawel; 06-28-2017 at 03:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    Cousins is accustomed to this role. He played as the guy initating the offense late in the first season under George Karl. Under Joerger it was pretty similar. Cousins always had a huge responsibility on offense and was allowed to handle the ball quite a bit.
    He is not the best decision maker and will turn the ball over a few times per game due to attempting risky plays, but Joerger was really working on this and Cousins has all the tools necessary to shine in this role.
    Between Boogie and Holiday there is more than enough playmaking on the roster. What the Pel's need is shooting and guys, that are able to defend at a high level. Defense will be a problem with the two bigs approach, especially when Gentry wants to keep up his uptempo approach.

Thread Information