Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Pelicans Trade 40th Pick and Cash to take Frank Jackson 31st overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Stop being silly people. Benson didn't handcuff Dell into selling the pick. Dell could have traded both picks and moved it. He kept the last one because he hoped another player he wanted would fall.

Scott Kushner said they were eyeing Thornwell with 52. When he got drafted at 48 it looks like the last of their main targets was gone so they sold it.

Keep in mind it's not just "Benson has millions what's it to him if we sell a pick for cash?" The NBA puts a cap on the amount of money that you can trade in a single season. By selling the late pick to pay for moving up we free up money to spend elsewhere, ex. Trades. What if a teams says they will take QPon's contract from us if we give them a fake 2nd and pay for the value of his contract. If we didn't sell the 52nd pick something like this might not have been possible because we might not have had enough cash available, per NBA rules, to trade.

Out of all the things to question with Demps, the way he handles small transactions shouldn't be one of them.
    Getting cash in a deal does not mean you can give more cash in other deals. There is a gross limit to how much you can send and receive, it doesn't net out.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Getting cash in a deal does not mean you can give more cash in other deals. There is a gross limit to how much you can send and receive, it doesn't net out.
    I didn't say getting cash means you have more to spend. We don't know the actual structure of the trades so it's possible it was arranged in a way for us to keep our cash available. That was my point. Sorry if I wasn't clear what I meant.

Like I said however, Dell kept the 2nd pick incase a player he wanted fell. When that didn't happen he sold it. He actually kept more flexibility by sending 40 + cash for 31. Yet some people are trying to rake him over the coals for it.

Would those same people be upset if it was 40+52 to go up to 31? I doubt it. But because it was cash for cash they complain.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 06-23-2017 at 01:13 PM.

...we get to go McDonalds
    On the list of things to be concerned about, 2nd rounders are practically the bottom.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    With Jackson's shooting, size and combo guard nature, he reminds me a lot of Brandon Knight. Looking at their predraft measures, Frank seems to have a slight edge in most areas, though that doesn't mean much.
    @DanielVeuleman

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I'm curious as to why they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Foot Injury
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Surely they had to have already known of his foot injury for weeks though. I mean, not like he hurt himself at the combine. Hell. He performed there.

Dude is a tremendous athlete. Only real flaws I see in his game his he isnt a true point and his D is shaky.
    SIGN A SF

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Maybe they did not think Ferguson would fall that far.

Quote Originally Posted by All Metro View Post
    Dude is a tremendous athlete. Only real flaws I see in his game his he isnt a true point and his D is shaky.
    True, but after listening to the "In the NO" podcast, Jackson had the top performance in one combine drill that is a drill to see if the player can make quick adjustments, which translates into if the player can play defense. Jackson was the quickest at the drill, which to me means he can learn to play better defense.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

He's got the profile of a very good defender.

I'm not expecting Jackson to be Malcolm Brogdon, but if this season we can have him play more minuets than Diallo did last year (give him spin during blowouts), I would like to see that more than what we did with Diallo last year. Last year Diallo should have gotten the minuets that DMo and Ajinca got. Diallo is a long term plan/trade asset, DMo and Ajinca were neither. Jackson won't be counted on for large contributions, but he has potential to be something more than just another 2nd rounder, and he should be used as such.

Looks like the biggest knocks on him are:

1) He's much more of a score first guard. Limited vision or too focused on getting his own bucket.

2) Probably has limited defensive versatility. Has size to guard the 1 but might have trouble on bigger SGs.

If those are his biggest knocks, I can live with it. We will need offensive firepower with our 2nd team. Let him and Crawford go crazy getting buckets.

Sounds like E.G. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by lsutigers33 View Post
    Sounds like E.G. 😂
    EG coming out of college, yeah that's probably an alright comparison.

EG coming out of college, yeah that's probably an alright comparison.
    Gordon was a top 7 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Gordon was a top 7 pick.
    So? I'm saying they have a similar style. Both can shoot from deep and get to the basket with a quick 1st step. Gordon was a bit more of a bowling ball going to the basket but it's actually not a bad comparison. Similar size as well.

So? I'm saying they have a similar style. Both can shoot from deep and get to the basket with a quick 1st step. Gordon was a bit more of a bowling ball going to the basket but it's actually not a bad comparison. Similar size as well.
    I agree, similar style. Jackson is just more raw at this point than Gordon was coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I agree, similar style. Jackson is just more raw at this point than Gordon was coming out.
    Gordon also was the star of his team and got more minutes. Jackson had the unfortunate situation of being on an absolutely loaded Duke team. I actually like the pick a lot from a future perspective, but as you said, he's raw.

Much like I'm excited to see Diallo get 10-15 minutes a game this year, after a year of d league I'll be excited to see Jackson do the same. Although I kind of feel it might be easier for him to get some minutes this season.

The Franchise
    Frank or Jok could start at the SG, its not like we've never started a young player at that spot before. Last year we signed guys off the D-league and started them the first game they played so these new guys could come in and contribute right away.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I'm not expecting Jackson to be Malcolm Brogdon, but if this season we can have him play more minuets than Diallo did last year (give him spin during blowouts), I would like to see that more than what we did with Diallo last year. Last year Diallo should have gotten the minuets that DMo and Ajinca got. Diallo is a long term plan/trade asset, DMo and Ajinca were neither. Jackson won't be counted on for large contributions, but he has potential to be something more than just another 2nd rounder, and he should be used as such.
    Development wise, they have to weigh if it's better to get lots of minutes in the G League v. sitting around on our bench playing spot minutes or waiting for a blowout.

Thread Information