Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans Trade 40th Pick and Cash to take Frank Jackson 31st overall.

Do u know what we get back for the 52th pick ? I saw that it went to Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by French Pelican View Post
    Do u know what we get back for the 52th pick ? I saw that it went to Indiana
    Cash.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Selling #52 was pretty lame, coulda had Wiliams-Goss or Sumner. and not put all our eggs in one basket.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Selling #52 was pretty lame, coulda had Wiliams-Goss or Sumner. and not put all our eggs in one basket.
    I imagine you could really jsut pretty much call it the #40 & #52 picks for the #31 pick, given that it was #40 and cash to move up, and you got cash back for #52.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    I imagine you could really jsut pretty much call it the #40 & #52 picks for the #31 pick, given that it was #40 and cash to move up, and you got cash back for #52.
    I can't understand the logic behind saving 1mil on a pick, when Benson is fine with Dell handing out ridiculous 60mil contracts to the likes of Asik without batting an eyelid

It's not just our club, it's others too but can anyone explain how owners be so stingy with a draft pick but so careless with the money with other contracts?

Someone please explain this to me

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I can't understand the logic behind saving 1mil on a pick, when Benson is fine with Dell handing out ridiculous 60mil contracts to the likes of Asik without batting an eyelid

It's not just our club, it's others too but can anyone explain how owners be so stingy with a draft pick but so careless with the money with other contracts?

Someone please explain this to me
    Supply and demand my friend. The market determines what type of contract to give to certain players. Can't really blame the owners or management when the market, CBA, etc is set a certain way. They are just playing within a limited set of rules. Plus you're paying a player based on current body of work and future potential.
    Last edited by DaFranchise80; 06-23-2017 at 05:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    Supply and demand my friend. The market determines what type of contract to give to certain players. Can't really blame the owners or management when the market, CBA, etc is set a certain way. They are just playing within a limited set of rules. Plus you're paying a player based on current body of work and future potential.
    The point is buying a pick swap 40 to 31 is genius, do that every day of the week. But why would Benson handcuff Demps to selling the 52nd? Its essentially 40+Tim Frazier for 31. Does that look good? This team is going to struggle to fill the roster with NBA talent as it is. Throwing away 52 for cash just seems lame. We're trying to win now.

Stupid move. Would rather have Sumner or Williams-Goss on the roster than no-one.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    The point is buying a pick swap 40 to 31 is genius, do that every day of the week. But why would Benson handcuff Demps to selling the 52nd? Its essentially 40+Tim Frazier for 31. Does that look good? This team is going to struggle to fill the roster with NBA talent as it is. Throwing away 52 for cash just seems lame. We're trying to win now.

Stupid move. Would rather have Sumner or Williams-Goss on the roster than no-one.
    Exactly what I'm talking about

Did Benson really need that 1.5 mil that we paid for the pick straight away? He should have looked it at it as in investment, like every other contract.

Makes no sense to be stingy over such a paltry amount of money when you are committing at least 100 mil on the whole team, especially when there were such good prospects left
    Last edited by AusPel; 06-23-2017 at 06:50 AM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    We need to win now

We should've kept the 52nd pick in the draft

How do those two sentiments make sense together? The guy that was drafted there was also coming off an injury. Peter Jok is just as likely to do anything meaningful as the last 10 guys drafted.

Pelicans Trade 40th Pick and Cash to take Frank Jackson 31st overall.

Stop being silly people. Benson didn't handcuff Dell into selling the pick. Dell could have traded both picks and moved it. He kept the last one because he hoped another player he wanted would fall.

Scott Kushner said they were eyeing Thornwell with 52. When he got drafted at 48 it looks like the last of their main targets was gone so they sold it.

Keep in mind it's not just "Benson has millions what's it to him if we sell a pick for cash?" The NBA puts a cap on the amount of money that you can trade in a single season. By selling the late pick to pay for moving up we free up money to spend elsewhere, ex. Trades. What if a teams says they will take QPon's contract from us if we give them a fake 2nd and pay for the value of his contract. If we didn't sell the 52nd pick something like this might not have been possible because we might not have had enough cash available, per NBA rules, to trade.

Out of all the things to question with Demps, the way he handles small transactions shouldn't be one of them.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 06-23-2017 at 07:18 AM.

also we should have received 2 000 000 trade exception

very small exception, but still

Jok is a good player as an undrafted free agent. I like him better than the kid from Xavier. And you get the trade exception.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    If this kid can do what he's done since November on a broken foot,
    I'd love to see what he can do when that foot's not broken. (injury is why he slid, in the draft & under the radar)

He's got a HARD crossover and can switch speeds off the dribble.
    Notice how he keeps his body straight, absorbs contact and makes the shot while drawing a foul. Who have we had that can do that?
    Can get to the basket in 1-2 dribbles
    AND launches 3s from NBA range already.

He's got size at 6' 3" and has a 42" vertical leap. (Wonder if they measured that with the broken foot, lol)

And I'm not telling you anything you can't see from the scouting on him. He's a 1st rd pick and we're paying 2nd rd money for him.

GOOD JOB!

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    If this kid can do what he's done since November on a broken foot,
    I'd love to see what he can do when that foot's not broken. (injury is why he slid, in the draft & under the radar)

He's got a HARD crossover and can switch speeds off the dribble.
    Notice how he keeps his body straight, absorbs contact and makes the shot while drawing a foul. Who have we had that can do that?
    Can get to the basket in 1-2 dribbles
    AND launches 3s from NBA range already.

He's got size at 6' 3" and has a 42" vertical leap. (Wonder if they measured that with the broken foot, lol)

And I'm not telling you anything you can't see from the scouting on him. He's a 1st rd pick and we're paying 2nd rd money for him.

GOOD JOB!
    Must say props to Dell for getting us a 1st round talent in the second round for the second year running.

He's got a repuation as a bad GM around the league, but people only notice the big trades and not all the little other ones along the way

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Are you speculating that he has a bad rep, or do you know that for a fact?

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    Are you speculating that he has a bad rep, or do you know that for a fact?
    It's anecdotal, but just from comments I read on message boards etc. Hope that answers your question

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Fans have a bad rep of him. But it's not like fans are on the pulse of actual NBA management.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    It's anecdotal, but just from comments I read on message boards etc. Hope that answers your question
    gotcha

So we came into the draft with 2 2nd round picks. Came out with a 1st round talent and cash, and signed an undrafted sharpshooter.

I like it.

The Franchise
    Must say props to Dell for getting us a 1st round talent in the second round for the second year running.

He's got a repuation as a bad GM around the league, but people only notice the big trades and not all the little other ones along the way
    I think Dell has always been good at grabbing the edge guys, my problem has been locking ourselves into big contracts for guys we traded for. EG and Asik are the 2 decisions I really didn't like along with the shift to win now as soon as we got Davis. I wish he'd have spent one more year getting young talent around davis but I did understand the thought process behind the moves.

Demps is a bottom of the pack (middle at best) gm. This has nothing to do with last nights draft as two 2nd round picks aren't going to make or brake your reputation. The guy has been a gm for going on 7 seasons, and has put together how many winning teams? Most NBA franchises will can a gm for less, but we keep plugging away with Demps as if he has done some amazing things while he has been here. If we finish anywhere below the 6th spot in the West (given transactions which have occurred in the NBA since the trade deadline) for any reason other than injuries, Demps should be out of a job.

But don't take my biased opinion for it:
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...t-ratings-1-30
    http://hoopscritic.com/ranking-all-30-nba-gms/
    http://broboxsports.com/nba-gm-rankings/
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 06-23-2017 at 11:41 AM.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Oh god here we go

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Demps is a bottom of the pack (middle at best) gm. This has nothing to do with last nights draft as two 2nd round picks aren't going to make or brake your reputation. The guy has been a gm for going on 7 seasons, and has put together how many winning teams? Most NBA franchises will can a gm for less, but we keep plugging away with Demps as if he has done some amazing things while he has been here. If we finish anywhere below the 6th spot in the West (given transactions which have occurred in the NBA since the trade deadline) for any reason other than injuries, Demps should be out of a job.

But don't take my biased opinion for it:
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...t-ratings-1-30
    http://hoopscritic.com/ranking-all-30-nba-gms/
    http://broboxsports.com/nba-gm-rankings/
    I'm sure we all know Demps sucks as a GM. It's pretty much a well known fact.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Love hearing good things about the draft pick and free agent. Now it will be awesome to see them and last years 2nd rounder get better together as bench players.

Thread Information