Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Official NBA Draft Thread / 6:30 PM / ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    lol
    This is the night for dreams!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    This is the night for dreams!
    with Dell Demps as GM... we have no draft night dreams unless it falls straight on a silver platter for NOLA (i.e.: AD)
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Well there goes Collins at 19.
    Why would we have traded up for a post player when our 1-3 players are terrible?

Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post
    with Dell Demps as GM... we have no draft night dreams unless it falls straight on a silver platter for NOLA (i.e.: AD)
    I'm not interested in Negative Nancy's tonight.

Diallo sure looks like a good pick so far.

Ugh rt's got a point! Second round picks don't always make an impact on NBA teams.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...241f9e17f.html

The Pelicans' draft history under GM Dell Demps

1st round, No. 15: Pick traded

This selection was part of New Orleans’ deal to acquire Jerryd Bayless, who was eventually dealt for Jarrett Jack.

2nd round, No. 45: Josh Harrelson

New Orleans traded him to the Knicks on draft night for $1 million.

1st round, No. 1: Anthony Davis

The franchise cornerstone was acquired after the team won the draft lottery.

1st round, No. 10: Austin Rivers

This extra lottery pick came from the Timberwolves as part of the Chris Paul trade. Rivers was traded to the Clippers in his third season.

2nd round, No. 46: Darius Miller

He played 102 career games but never fully found traction in the NBA.

1st round, No. 6: Nerlens Noel

Traded as part of blockbuster draft-night deal to acquire All-Star point guard Jrue Holiday from the 76ers.

2nd round, No. 42: Pierre Jackson

Philadelphia and New Orleans swapped second-round picks in the Holiday trade. The 76ers took Glen Rice Jr. at No. 35. The pair has combined to play 19 NBA games.

1st round, No. 10: Pick traded

As part of the Jrue Holiday swap, the Pelicans included this pick, which turned into Orlando Magic point guard (and New Orleans native) Elfrid Payton, who is a starter.

2nd round, No. 40: Pick traded

Minnesota took Glenn Robinson thanks to a 2009 deal (predating Demps) that netted New Orleans Bobby Brown and Darius Songaila.

2nd round, No. 47: Russ Smith

New Orleans traded Pierre Jackson to the 76ers to add Smith.

1st round, No. 18: Pick traded

In a three-team deal, the Pelicans received Omer Asik for the pick, which the Rockets turned into Sam Dekker, a promising but oft-injured swingman.

2nd round, No. 47: Pick traded

The final piece of the Holiday trade was rendered when the 76ers took Arturas Gudaitis, a Lithuanian who has not reached the NBA.

2nd round, No. 56: Pick traded

The Clippers received the rights to Branden Dawson for cash considerations on draft night. He has played in just six NBA games, spending most of his two years in the D-League.

1st round, No. 6: Buddy Hield

The Pelicans selected the shooting star from Oklahoma, but he lasted only four months in New Orleans before being packaged in a deal for All-Star center DeMarcus Cousins.

2nd round, No. 33: Cheick Diallo

Demps traded a pair of second-round picks (Nos. 39 and 40) to the Clippers to move up and snag Diallo. Los Angeles selected David Michineau and Diamond Stone.

1st round, No. 10: Pick traded

Sacramento will select in the Pelicans’ place as part of the Cousins deal.

2nd round, No. 40: TBA

What's your point? That you just want to live life bitter?

no... just giving evidence as to why I said what I said

and when the Pelicans suit up for game 1 in October... I'm going to believe fully in my heart that they're going to the Finals next June

The problem of why our roster is so bare and full of bad contracts is because we don't build through the draft. We don't get solid role or bench players on good contracts because we don't build through the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post
    no... just giving evidence as to why I said what I said

and when the Pelicans suit up for game 1 in October... I'm going to believe fully in my heart that they're going to the Finals next June
    We have plenty of negativity for 10 months out of the year on this forum. Damn the evidence and everything else. This is the time of year to be excited and positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    The problem of why our roster is so bare and full of bad contracts is because we don't build through the draft. We don't get solid role or bench players on good contracts because we don't build through the draft.
    The bench roster is bare solely because of the Cousins trade. That was the cost. Depth was not a problem before that. Hell I wouldn't mind if they signed Tyreke and Galloway again.

This roster also isn't "full of bad contracts".

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Building through teh draft also gives you the option to trade for guys like Jimmy Butler.

Or DeMarcus Cousins.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    The bench roster is bare solely because of the Cousins trade. That was the cost. Depth was not a problem before that. Hell I wouldn't mind if they signed Tyreke and Galloway again.
    No it isn't. We traded Evans, Galloway, and Buddy. Outside of Buddy, those are not widely valuable pieces. We used most of our role player cap on Asik (10), Hill (11), Ajinca (5), and Moore (8). Only Moore is worth the money he signed for.

We traded away or have had injuries to a large portion of our bench. Our guards were our depth going into the season.

Then we lost Qpon (again) and traded Gallo, Tyreke (injuries then trade), and Buddy. Not easy to have depth with that.

Doesn't look like Dell is too worried either since he traded Frazier for a 2nd.

No it isn't. We traded Evans, Galloway, and Buddy. Outside of Buddy, those are not widely trade able pieces. We used most of our role player cap on Asik (10), Hill (11), Ajinca (5), and Moore (8). Only Moore is worth the money he signed for.
    Ajinca is 100% worth his contract. He is a backup center on a reasonable contract.

Official NBA Draft Thread / 6:30 PM / ESPN

I'm going to bed y'all wake me up if anything happens exciting, man this draft is taking forever .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ajinca is 100% worth his contract. He is a backup center on a reasonable contract.
    OK I can give you that one. But Asik and Hill really messed us up. We don't have any role players on a first round pick contract. That's part of our problem.

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    I'm going to bed y'all wake me up if anything happens exciting, man this draft is taking forever .

You're almost to the 2nd round now they will move fast.

Check out @daldridgetnt's Tweet: https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/sta...583106048?s=09

A lot of teams trying for the 25th spot from the magic.

No it isn't. We traded Evans, Galloway, and Buddy. Outside of Buddy, those are not widely trade able pieces. We used most of our role player cap on Asik (10), Hill (11), Ajinca (5), and Moore (8). Only Moore is worth the money he signed for.
    Well obviously they were because they netted a player tops at his position. And its not like Galloway was some garbage scrub. He played well here as he did in NY. Very much like a Anthony Morrow. Tyreke has dealt with injuries but he'll easily find a new home and get minutes if his knees hold up.

I get it. Fans are emotional and want to be part of the news tonight. You feel left out. But that doesn't change the fact that the Pelicans are a team that has what a lot of these teams are desperately looking for. Just chill out. The role players they need will be found. They already have Crawford and a 2nd year Diallo to build on. Plus a 2nd year of Moore and Hill. If Jrue stays, maybe he plays better with a full, healthy, worry free off-season...finally.

Also Ajinca and Moore are on great contracts. Even though we need more out of Hill, he is slotted about right with last year's contract norms.
    Last edited by luckyman; 06-22-2017 at 09:12 PM.

Check out @daldridgetnt's Tweet: https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/sta...583106048?s=09

A lot of teams trying for the 25th spot from the magic.
    I hope we get one of those late picks. I really want Jason Hart.

I hope we get one of those late picks. I really want Jason Hart.
    I don't follow college ball so I don't get sad if the Pels don't pick the player I want.

That way I'm excited no matter what. That said, sure let's get Hart!

You're almost to the 2nd round now they will move fast.
    Have to get u at 4am , I'm trying to hang in there but I'm fading fast ok wait and see if this starts moving faster in the second round . Lol

Thread Information