Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Salary cap expected to drop to $99M

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    You have no proof of that. We don't know if other teams offered Asik, what those offers were, nothing of his free agency. All we know is Dell and Asik agreed to terms.
    Honestly bro as soon as he became invisible in the playoffs, the moment that contract was signed everyone felt like that was an extreme overpay.
    I'm a grinder

This is completely self-congratulating myself but last year when the crazy contracts started flying around I was advocating for us to dump long-term salary rather than making those signings. The reason being you end up with maximum flexibility. You could end up being one of the only teams that could start offering max money while other teams would be riddled with large contracts, get picks for bad contracts, or get bench players as a third-party. It would again delay our win-now mentality but man, that's how you play the game and avoid the game playing you (unless you're just trying to save your job from your owner who can't see past 2 years in the future). I didn't know the cap could go down but that would have been another argument for it as it would have made us look even better as fewer teams can offer as much money.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    This is completely self-congratulating myself but last year when the crazy contracts started flying around I was advocating for us to dump long-term salary rather than making those signings. The reason being you end up with maximum flexibility. You could end up being one of the only teams that could start offering max money while other teams would be riddled with large contracts, get picks for bad contracts, or get bench players as a third-party. It would again delay our win-now mentality but man, that's how you play the game and avoid the game playing you (unless you're just trying to save your job from your owner who can't see past 2 years in the future). I didn't know the cap could go down but that would have been another argument for it as it would have made us look even better as fewer teams can offer as much money.
    Same. People seem to hold it against me but I always preach smart spending and flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Same. People seem to hold it against me but I always preach smart spending and flexibility.
    Look at all the teams trying to dump players right now. The Nets are building for the future so they are taking up one of those routes. The route of "we're an okay team who hasn't gone overboard on contracts and are just a piece or two away from making a decent playoff run" could make up a lot of ground in this climate. I'm sure we'll see someone emerge as that team as I haven't done much looking into teams' salaries lately but I'll bet someone emerges as that team and they'll do well because of it.

It also makes me solidify further the "GMs are dumb" theory. I argued for years that GMs aren't as dumb as everyone thinks until last year. I understand that the jump in salary cap changes contracts, but so many of those contracts were obviously bad from the start, and many signings didn't show any coherent vision form the teams. I genuinely believe that there are probably a good 10 posters on this board that would run an NBA team better than probably half the current owners/GMs in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Look at all the teams trying to dump players right now. The Nets are building for the future so they are taking up one of those routes. The route of "we're an okay team who hasn't gone overboard on contracts and are just a piece or two away from making a decent playoff run" could make up a lot of ground in this climate. I'm sure we'll see someone emerge as that team as I haven't done much looking into teams' salaries lately but I'll bet someone emerges as that team and they'll do well because of it.

It also makes me solidify further the "GMs are dumb" theory. I argued for years that GMs aren't as dumb as everyone thinks until last year. I understand that the jump in salary cap changes contracts, but so many of those contracts were obviously bad from the start, and many signings didn't show any coherent vision form the teams. I genuinely believe that there are probably a good 10 posters on this board that would run an NBA team better than probably half the current owners/GMs in the league.
    That overspending cost Mitch Kupchak and Griffin there jobs. There's some logic and leeway for overspending for fit, but ultimately no team/GM should massively overspend for Harrison Barnes', Tim Mozgov's, or Tristan Thompson's of the world. And I'll say at least in Harrison Barnes case he was brought there to be a franchise player.

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    Honestly bro as soon as he became invisible in the playoffs, the moment that contract was signed everyone felt like that was an extreme overpay.
    That's not the argument, though at the time it was debatable what his value was. The person I was replying to stated a ton of things as fact which none of us have any clue about.

I didn't see this posted earlier, but how jerky of the Warriors and Cavs. They are the ones who helped kill the salary cap spike, and they are also the ones who look to gain most from it.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news...e1d4y49ge9o79w
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Thread Information