Pelicans Report

Thread: What would you give up for Paul George?

What would you give up for Paul George?

You have a camp that says give up whatever it takes...
    http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...-george-talks/

You have a camp that says don't make the trade if you are giving up the farm...
    http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...r-paul-george/

I am of the mind that if you can find a way to keep AD, Boogie, and re-sign Jrue you move everyone else, and however many picks the Pacers want for the next 3 years. A chance at glory is what you are gambling on. 3 of the top 15 players in the NBA on one team. Something tells me that if those 4 guys can stay healthy next season, then the NBA would consist of 3 teams of consequence; us, the Warriors, and the Cavs. You move heaven and earth to make this a reality.

What are your thoughts? What is your thought process about PG13 to the Pels?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    You have a camp that says give up whatever it takes...
    http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...-george-talks/

You have a camp that says don't make the trade if you are giving up the farm...
    http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...r-paul-george/

I am of the mind that if you can find a way to keep AD, Boogie, and re-sign Jrue you move everyone else, and however many picks the Pacers want for the next 3 years. A chance at glory is what you are gambling on. 3 of the top 15 players in the NBA on one team. Something tells me that if those 4 guys can stay healthy next season, then the NBA would consist of 3 teams of consequence; us, the Warriors, and the Cavs. You move heaven and earth to make this a reality.

What are your thoughts? What is your thought process about PG13 to the Pels?
    Couldn't keep Jrue if we were to attempt to keep PG long term. AD, DC and PG contracts alone would be over $85 million. If you add Jrue at $22-$25, we would be approaching $110 million for 4 players. Not that we could even make a competitive offer for PG, but if we did acquire him, it would likely mean the end of the pursuit of Jrue.

Banned
    I would trade Cousins doubt they want him?
    It would be a shot I would take for sure.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    You offer whatever it takes to get him, which includes going into luxury tax territory if need be.

We don't have anything to give up!

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    You offer whatever it takes to get him, which includes going into luxury tax territory if need be.
    Do you honestly think the Pels are willing to go into the luxury tax?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Do you honestly think the Pels are willing to go into the luxury tax?
    Benson is spending money like a mad man before he goes, so why not.

Obviously we don't have anything to give up, but the Pacers also know that they are going to lose him next year, so teams wont exactly be looking to give the Pacers the moon (per se) to land PG. Everyone going in knows that the Pacers are in a crap position, and you can get PG for pennies on the dollar because he might not resign with the new team either.

Its a swing for the fences.

Yes, I do think we would go into luxury tax zone, if Benson really wants a ring before he dies. These guys are billionaires now, so why not? Whats an extra 50 to 100 mil in the scope of things, money that could be recouped in various ways due to the teams success.

Yes, I do think we would go into luxury tax zone, if Benson really wants a ring before he dies. These guys are billionaires now, so why not? Whats an extra 50 to 100 mil in the scope of things, money that could be recouped in various ways due to the teams success.
    I highly doubt it. There are future cap ramifications to being in luxury tax land as well.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    If being in the luxury tax bracket would mean forging a true contender, I don't think Benson would hesitate. The future gains outweigh the immediate losses a luxury tax would entail.

As for getting George, it's as good a time as any to go after him with all the firsts we could reasonably flip to Indy. We put a strong season together, make it hard for him to walk away...

If he does. Then Cousins probably goes to, in which case, we went down swinging because how likely are we to just sign someone like John Wall unless we go very far with just AD and Cousins as the main pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    If being in the luxury tax bracket would mean forging a true contender, I don't think Benson would hesitate. The future gains outweigh the immediate losses a luxury tax would entail.

As for getting George, it's as good a time as any to go after him with all the firsts we could reasonably flip to Indy. We put a strong season together, make it hard for him to walk away...

If he does. Then Cousins probably goes to, in which case, we went down swinging because how likely are we to just sign someone like John Wall unless we go very far with just AD and Cousins as the main pieces?
    All sounds good. Unfortunately, getting PG is a pipe dream. I would love to be proven wrong though.

Less a pipe dream and more an oasis mirage.

Because we're thirsty as hell and it almost looks like we're about to have all the water we can drink...

But we're gonna go over to it and discover...nothing.

Cousins was a pipe dream as well

I'm now gonna go hit the pipe!

But we used any assets we had to get him.

This isn't the logic. Getting struck by lightning once doesn't make you significantly more likely to get struck again. Our only chance is that other teams are too scared to pull the trigger on PG because of his expressed desire to play for LA.

For me, the logic says that we give up 3 1sts for Paul George because he is a young superstar, he's a two-way player, and when you have a chance to get a guy like that, you do anything you can to get him. This is a superstar league, and Paul Georges don't grow on trees. I'd bet the farm, hope to God that we advance a couple of rounds in the playoffs, and show PG that we are very close to a championship calibre team.

Plus, when you have other superstars (Davis and Cousins), it's much more likely that PG re-signs with us if he sees this young core that can work out long-term.

Sam Amico says pretty much every team has contacted the Pacers about Paul George. I'm sure we at least wanted to know what the asking price is. Even if we can't give the Pacers what they want or just don't want to, we could jump in as a 3rd team and either unload salary or grab a player someone doesn't want but we could use.

2first rounders, 3 if h resigns, is that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by lsutigers33 View Post
    2first rounders, 3 if h resigns, is that possible?
    That type of protection would be great in this situation. But it's not allowed.

I would probably give up my health insurance

Nothing....he hasn't helped Indiana do too much recently.

Quote Originally Posted by stormcenter View Post
    Nothing....he hasn't helped Indiana do too much recently.
    Think we could get LeBron? Look at how much he's helped the Cavs...

Thread Information