Pelicans Report

Thread: The last year of Asik's contract

All-Star

The last year of Asik's contract

is TEAM OPTION, PLAYER OPTION or Not guaranteed??

Partial guarantee. I think is around 3 million or so?

Quote Originally Posted by IVICP3 View Post
    is TEAM OPTION, PLAYER OPTION or Not guaranteed??
    Partially guaranteed. Waive him in time, pay a little is the punchline.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Please find a way to get rid of this guy before then.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Please find a way to get rid of this guy before then.
    Yes please
    I'm a grinder

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    Yes please
    Dell should be on the phone everyday trying to trade Ajinca or Asik for the cap relief to fill the bench with positions of need.

If we resign Jrue, there is no "cap relief".

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    If we resign Jrue, there is no "cap relief".
    Am I missing something or doesn't this turn into an asset at the end of this year...

So, in my eyes, assuming we sign Jrue and operate well over the cap, and use up your exceptions, next summer you're basically a non-factor in the FA market, but Take a non-guaranteed Asik contract (Along with cash to cover the 3m), a pick and maybe one of our young guys and you have a nice little package to scoop up a starter. Resign Boog and life is good, no?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicantoo View Post
    Am I missing something or doesn't this turn into an asset at the end of this year...

So, in my eyes, assuming we sign Jrue and operate well over the cap, and use up your exceptions, next summer you're basically a non-factor in the FA market, but Take a non-guaranteed Asik contract (Along with cash to cover the 3m), a pick and maybe one of our young guys and you have a nice little package to scoop up a starter. Resign Boog and life is good, no?

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Asik's partially guaranteed year is in 19-20, so after this season, there is still about $14-$15 million of guaranteed contract remaining.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Asik's partially guaranteed year is in 19-20, so after this season, there is still about $14-$15 million of guaranteed contract remaining.
    Got it... a year off the projection... I appreciate it

2017-18 - $10.6 M
    2018-19 - $11.3 M
    2019-20 - $3M guaranteed (or $12m option)

Banned
    Ouch !!

Omer Asik - 2y / $25m guaranteed

Lets put this in perspective - Other 'bigs' contracts situations in the league that i wouldn't want right now

Dwight Howard (CHA) - 2y / $57m - this is ridiculous, good luck hornets

Jonas Valanciunas (TOR) 3y / $49.6m - Raps are signing Ibaka, so they need to trade Jonas - getting value back is tough

Ian Mahinmi (WAS) 3y / $48.1m - injured in playoffs, essentially a way overpaid backup center that might take over after Gortat

Tim Mozgov (BKL) 3yr / $48m - next to Asik's contract, come on - this would be the end of the world bad

DeAndre Jordan (LAC) - 2y / $46.7m - highest paid player on a team where everyone wants more and is jumping ship hurts.

Miles Plumlee (ATL) - 3y / $40m - just had knee surgery, this contract is way worse than Asik's for sure

Marcin Gortat (WAS) - 2y / $26.2m - Wizards unclear on his role or future - also overpaid Mahinmi and have Jason Smith as 3rd BU ($5m)

Meyers Leonard (POR)- 3y / $31m - benched - out of rotation

Greg Monroe (MIL) 1y / $17m player option - i'd rather have this contract than Asik, due to expiring, but if we did, we would have trouble filling the bench

I don't think Asik is the worst contract - it isn't good considering his production - i think we were asking a lot from him as a starter. He will be a solid back up and if he were paid $2-3m less no one would be complaining as much.

Hold on to him this year - we can likely move him next year or stretch him with less long term damage.

But you can't call Demps a complete moron that bid against himself with those facts. That's no fun.

If Asik can show anything perhaps in pre-season, he would be very tradeable. Hopefully he can show he's healthy and can do the things he did 3 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    But you can't call Demps a complete moron that bid against himself with those facts. That's no fun.

If Asik can show anything perhaps in pre-season, he would be very tradeable. Hopefully he can show he's healthy and can do the things he did 3 years ago.
    Speaking of, does anyone know the status of Asik's health? Last I remember was the image of him floating around last year where he looked gaunt, pale, like he was seriously ill.

Thread Information