Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PG Rated

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Someone earlier said pick protections... screw that. Unprotect it, we need to give as much value as possible... no matter how much we are exposing our ****** for a backfire lol

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Indiana wants 2 1st rounders. We have that. 2018 & 2020. I certainly think Indy would want our picks instead
    Of Clevelands. Why would Indy give PG to Cleveland? So they can
    Play against him constantly? Lol! No team is giving 2 no. 1's and a starter for PG rental. But, if there is a team in the league that SHOULD take the chance - It's the Pelicans.
    They also want a starter. Who do we have that would interest them? Should we give up 2 #1s for a one year rental? If so, I would want some protection on them just in case. What would you do with Holiday then? If you re-sign him, you are pretty much ensuring that you cannot re-sign one of PG or Cousins.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    They also want a starter. Who do we have that would interest them? Should we give up 2 #1s for a one year rental? If so, I would want some protection on them just in case. What would you do with Holiday then? If you re-sign him, you are pretty much ensuring that you cannot re-sign one of PG or Cousins.
    2 #1's are two words on a piece of paper. Draft classes that don't even exist yet. Plus if it doesn't work, you don't think we can get that back and more in an AD trade?

Quote Originally Posted by Imnos 2 View Post
    2 #1's are two words on a piece of paper. Draft classes that don't even exist yet. Plus if it doesn't work, you don't think we can get that back and more in an AD trade?
    Why in the hell would we want to trade AD?

Also there is something to be said for showing a commitment to winning. Over half of the teams in the NBA have not displayed this. Getting George you show the world you're trying to win. That means a lot to really good players.

If it doesn't work and after next season and you lose Boogie and George, blow it up. The hill we would have to climb to get back to relevancy would be too great.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnos 2 View Post
    If it doesn't work and after next season and you lose Boogie and George, blow it up. The hill we would have to climb to get back to relevancy would be too great.
    I do not think George/Cousins are a package deal. I think we could keep Cousins even if we would not retain George. Regardless, all of the speculation is fun, but it is highly unlikely that we get seriously involved for PG13.

I do not think George/Cousins are a package deal. I think we could keep Cousins even if we would not retain George. Regardless, all of the speculation is fun, but it is highly unlikely that we get seriously involved for PG13.
    I agree with losing Boogie. Like I was saying it shows a commitment to winning. He may re-sign regardless. Losing both would be a worse case scenario.

Of course everything is speculation until concrete things happen. Its just entertaining a narrative.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Indiana is NOT going to get 2 #1's and a starter from anybody! They NOW have zero cards. I stated that, in the post you responded to. Also, I wouldn't re-sign Jrue. We can sign a very serviceable Starting PG for 1/2 of what Jrue wants. If we get PG, Holiday is not a make or break for us. I also stated in my other post that it is too BIG of a gamble for teams to have a PG rental for the STATED amount that Indy wants(which they certainly wont get,now).But, if theres any team that should aim for the stars, its the Pelicans! If Dell called Indy right now & said-Heres 2018 & 2020 #1's, dialogue would begin. We would at least be in the game. Its up to Dell,as he did w/ Boogie, to get a feel of PG's probability of staying in NO!

Why in the hell would we want to trade AD?
    Just to recoup the picks we used in a PG trade, duh.

This is common sense, but here's how I look at it:

Pelicans will make an offer to Indy for PG13.

Why would I think that? Well, the Pelicans made it known that they are already in "win now" mode when they made the trade for Boogie last year. So, if they are trying to win now, then why you stop there? Not only did the Pelicans try to trade for PG13 last year, but now it is known that PG13 is available for a trade.

So, I think the Pelicans will make an offer. It wouldn't make sense for them not to at least try...Whether or not Indy accepts the offer is another story.

2018 AND 2020 1st rounders with a 2017 OR 2019 second rounder?

If PG is a one year rental, then it means we'll have the space to throw at Wall next summer. Worth the risk.

At this point you do whatever it takes to get PG on this team. I agree that Jrue wouldn't be as necessary if we land George and we could get by with a lesser player that is more of a true point.

So, we land PG and then you have to think CP3 would take a hard look at joining, wouldn't you think? We could pay him in king cakes and beignets!

Picking up a player like Collison or even better Teague (probably not enough space to sign him though) would work well for a team with 3 stars.

Can the stars align one more time for the Pels?

Basketball Guru
    we all know that we have to make the playoffs this season.......dell know this......gentry know this........throw the 2 first round picks at the pacers and see what happens....we got to get our name out there to show that we are serious about trying to win.......

the pacers called the cavs and made the offer for love so maybe our 2 1st round picks wont do....now espn is saying that a 3rd team is involved in that trade.......the off season has begun lol....

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    At this point you do whatever it takes to get PG on this team. I agree that Jrue wouldn't be as necessary if we land George and we could get by with a lesser player that is more of a true point.

So, we land PG and then you have to think CP3 would take a hard look at joining, wouldn't you think? We could pay him in king cakes and beignets!

Picking up a player like Collison or even better Teague (probably not enough space to sign him though) would work well for a team with 3 stars.

Can the stars align one more time for the Pels?
    If in the incredibly, unimaginably unlikely scenario that we somehow get PG, I go the exact opposite way. Jrue becomes pretty much necessary. Boogie, AD, PG, and then nothing really doesn't get you by the Warriors. But with a servicable point in Jrue (who's the only good point we can get since we have his Bird rights), that series definitely becomes competitive. At that point you have to go all in and worry about the ramifications of giving him 25 mil a year later.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    This is no different than what we've already done with Boogie. We traded for Boogie with no assurance that he'd be on the roster beyond 2018. In fact, his agents were telling people he would not resign with whoever traded for hime. The difference is less than a half season after the all star break in 2017. That's it. No real difference between trading for Boogie and trading for Paul George.

I'd be surprised if Dell doesn't place a call to the Pacers' GM. I'd also be surprised if we can put the best deal on the table. But I've been surprised once in the last 6 months already by Dell.

I see it as a huge difference between Cousins. First, we got 1 and 1/2 seasons out of Cousins. Second, Cousins had no team he had already made known that he wanted to go to. He actually wanted to stay in Sac. That was his preference. His comments were made to try and weaken any trade so Sac couldn't get the value they wanted for him and would keep him.

This is the exact opposite of PG who has made it known he wants to be a Laker. He has no reason to weaken trade offers because he doesn't care where he goes, he is leaving in free agency.

The Pelicans also had the upper hand with Cousins because of being close to his home. There are incentives here for Cousins that extend outside of basketball. What are we to PG other than AD and Cousins?

I see the risk with PG to be multiple times worse than the risk for Cousins.

Will I be upset if we trade for PG? No, it will be fun to watch and I will hope beyond hope that we can convince him to stay. But Cousins I've always felt we will resign. PG I feel would be a true 1 year rental.

The Franchise
    I'd offer next years first and a couple players. If they want 2 first then they have to take Asik. It clears space to go after Wall next year. Here's a thought, what if we go far and PG decides to run it back one more year because we were so close or even won it all. Winning cures all ills and probably everyone reups to try again but really I think if you can get out of Hill and Asik contract it's a win win for whatever we want to do in the future. Same could be said for butler but he'll cost a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by daybreaker View Post
    If PG is a one year rental, then it means we'll have the space to throw at Wall next summer. Worth the risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I'd offer next years first and a couple players. If they want 2 first then they have to take Asik. It clears space to go after Wall next year. Here's a thought, what if we go far and PG decides to run it back one more year because we were so close or even won it all. Winning cures all ills and probably everyone reups to try again but really I think if you can get out of Hill and Asik contract it's a win win for whatever we want to do in the future. Same could be said for butler but he'll cost a lot more.
    John Wall is a FA in 2019/20 not next year when PG would leave.

Banned
    George is not coming to the Pelicans
    He will chose the ball club for the trade no doubt.
    Cousins on the other hand didn't have a choice he was career loser on a losing team.
    Let's hope we get a good young player in the draft.
    Unless someone July 7 steps up and wants to sign with the Pelicans get use to what we have

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    George is not coming to the Pelicans
    He will chose the ball club for the trade no doubt.
    Cousins on the other hand didn't have a choice he was career loser on a losing team.
    Let's hope we get a good young player in the draft.
    Unless someone July 7 steps up and wants to sign with the Pelicans get use to what we have
    It's a trade. Not free agency. He doesn't have a choice in the matter. Unless he says he'll sit out.

And by saying it's a rental no matter where he goes, he torpedoes his trade value to the point where any team even giving the Pacers something halfway decent will be good enough.

Latest news is that Lowry isn't going back to Toronto. Pels a real possibility?! Sixers, Knicks and who else? Would be a great big 3 if Paul George to Pels doesn't happen.

*Edit: then Lowry refuted the reports on Twitter
    Last edited by Rheem654; 06-19-2017 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Latest news is that Lowry isn't going back to Toronto. Pels a real possibility?! Sixers, Knicks and who else? Would be a great big 3 if Paul George to Pels doesn't happen.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post

Aren't Lowry and Derozan like the worst playoff dou of all time with over 500 shots. I think they are. They are awful in the playoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Aren't Lowry and Derozan like the worst playoff dou of all time with over 500 shots. I think they are. They are awful in the playoff.
    Yeah, but Lowry plays like a quasi MVP during the regular season to get his team to the playoffs.

But I mean, if you know a guy that the Pelicans can get that is an elite player in the regular season AND the playoffs, then I'm all ears.
    @mcnamara247

Thread Information