Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sixers looking to acquire top pick {edited: done deal}

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I don't think Josh Jackson is Ainge's guy. They're definitely targeting Hayward, already have Crowder, and drafted Brown last year. I really could see Ainge liking several of the guys in the top 10, and continuing to trade down if he can pick up assets. The idea that he needs to start turning these assets into superstars, when the Celtics were already the #1 seed and have the ability to a free agent this summer, is wrong IMO. They can potentially add Blake Griffin or Hayward this summer, and/or trade for Carmelo of Love, without giving up a pick this year. You certainly wouldn't want to give up the #1 pick for any of the players potentially available to you. A Paul George rental isn't worth the #1. A future pick, Crowder, and Smart would probably be a good starting place for a Love trade.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Ainge trade down again at #3 with Knicks for pick 8 and a future pick. Or with Kings for picks 5 and 10.

Ainge is patiently waiting for the opportunity to cash his assets in for a really transcendent player. A player like Anthony Davis. But also someone like Greek Freak, or KAT, or Porzingis.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    This is huge as far as the Jrue sweepstakes. There just aren't a lot of viable options if Philly is off the table.
    Philly needs guards. They could draft Fultz and still go after both Holiday brothers. Especially if Colangelo wants to add some vets to a team of young players in order to take the next step in the process.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Dallas I veiw as the front runner for Holiday. Cuban love wasting money on the lower tier free agents.
    They would have to have Dirk agree to like $5 million a year, or trade Mathews and take a lot less back. Then by paying Jrue and resigning Noel, they would be pushing luxury tax levels for a possible lottery team. I wouldn't believe everything you read. And that's not counting Justin.

Just like the Knicks talk. They would have to make major roster moves to even get into the game.

It's not impossible. But the moves it would take along with maxing Jrue just doesn't make sense for these other teams.

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but I see the market as luke warm and Jrue resigning for a large, but non max deal here.

They would have to have Dirk agree to like $5 million a year, or trade Mathews and take a lot less back. Then by paying Jrue and resigning Noel, they would be pushing luxury tax levels for a possible lottery team. I wouldn't believe everything you read. And that's not counting Justin.

Just like the Knicks talk. They would have to make major roster moves to even get into the game.

It's not impossible. But the moves it would take along with maxing Jrue just doesn't make sense for these other teams.

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but I see the market as luke warm and Jrue resigning for a large, but non max deal here.
    Agreed. Dallas is more cap-strapped than people seem to realize. Even if Dirk takes a paycut, they're going to have to max Noel, and they already have Barnes and Matthews on substantial contracts. New York is on a similar boat after Noah's laughable contract, Melo's max, and some role player contracts like Lee and Thomas. Sure, both teams can make the requisite moves to acquire the necessary cap space, but why would they?
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 06-17-2017 at 02:38 PM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Dallas can free up between 15-30 million with non guaranteed contracts and depending on how much Dirk is willing to leave behind. They can go over the cap to sign Noel if I'm not mistaken. If they think a starting line up of Holiday/Matthews/Barnes/Nowitzki/Noel with a solid bench can make a strong push I'm almost certain Cuban will spend the money.

30m isn't enough to Max Jrue and sign Justin.

The Franchise
    I like what Ainge is doing. I love building through the draft and having high picks every year is awesome. If you could trade down a few spots, get the player you want, and get a potentially high 1st next year, I'd do it every year. The only thing i don't like is last year he had to draft and stash a couple players. I'm not a fan of stashing unless your team is set 1-15, even then I'd have them on the bench learning while practicing against my good players.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I'm hoping it's 23 for Jrue and 4-5 for Justin. Only Justin's money would be part of MLE.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Of course that isn't counting any cap clearing trades and assumes Dirk doesn't take less than 10mil next year.

Numbers were a little off. If Dirk takes as low as 10mil the Mavs can only clear as much as 25mil in cap space.

Although they are likely to try and move Matthews with the play of Curry.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Numbers were a little off. If Dirk takes as low as 10mil the Mavs can only clear as much as 25mil in cap space.

Although they are likely to try and move Matthews with the play of Curry.
    Yeah, outside a drastic paycut for Dirk, they fall just short of Jrue's likely asking range. I wonder what Matthew's trade value is given his recent injury history and contract. Granted hindsight is 20/20, I get pretty salty watching Curry play well for Dallas.

Done deal-
    Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @WojVerticalNBA 2m2 minutes ago
    More
    Sixers needed Fultz workout/meeting to complete deal w/ Celtics and, as expected, sides have deal for No. 1 pick. Trade call planned Monday.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar

I agree with every word you wrote. I think Jrue probably resigns here, but at a semi-reasonable price, which is completely fine with me. As long as his deal is tradeable in the summer of 2019, I'm cool with resigning Jrue.

AD's only locked in for 3 more years.
    Boogie's locked in for 1 more.

Jrue will want at least a 4 year deal. That 4th year is uncomfortable if you don't know who your teammates will be.

76ers have an enormous amount of cap space, have shown an interest in Jrue, and Jrue and his family know Philly well.

Fultz and Jrue, with Justin coming off the bench, is something I'd expect to see happen. They may even sell Jrue on the idea of Jrue and Justin both starting with Fultz coming off the bench to start the year. The 76ers don't have anyone in their backcourt they're committed to, other than Fultz.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    AD's only locked in for 3 more years.
    Boogie's locked in for 1 more.

Jrue will want at least a 4 year deal. That 4th year is uncomfortable if you don't know who your teammates will be.

76ers have an enormous amount of cap space, have shown an interest in Jrue, and Jrue and his family know Philly well.

Fultz and Jrue, with Justin coming off the bench, is something I'd expect to see happen. They may even sell Jrue on the idea of Jrue and Justin both starting with Fultz coming off the bench to start the year. The 76ers don't have anyone in their backcourt they're committed to, other than Fultz.
    They really do not need to invest that kind of money in Jrue. They have Simmons to handle the ball with Fultz. Jrue is too redundant to spend over $25 million a year with Embiid coming up for a new contract and a core of Fultz, Embiid, Simmons and Covington.

Well, there goes one of Jrue's options (his options were already limited). If we want him back he is going to play at our price, not his.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I dont think Philly go to all this trouble to land Fultz just to sign a max player at the same position. Sure Jrue -could- slide to SG, but realistically I doubt hes their first target.

The Franchise
    Let's hope everyone needing a pg drafts one then maybe we could get Jrue at a decent price. We got lucky on Davis not getting super max maybe we get lucky here too.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    Let's hope everyone needing a pg drafts one then maybe we could get Jrue at a decent price. We got lucky on Davis not getting super max maybe we get lucky here too.
    Supposedly we have already offered him over $22 million a year on a 4-5 year deal. That is more than I would have wanted to give him anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    They really do not need to invest that kind of money in Jrue. They have Simmons to handle the ball with Fultz. Jrue is too redundant to spend over $25 million a year with Embiid coming up for a new contract and a core of Fultz, Embiid, Simmons and Covington.
    They have ton of cap space.
    Does it make sense for them to sign a center with Embiid and Okafor on the team? Nope.
    Does it make sense for them to invest in a PF with Saric on the team? Nope.
    Does it make sense for them to sign a SF with Covington and Simmons on the team? Nope.

So what do they do with all that money? I think it would be smart for them to add the Holiday brothers for $40m and compete for the 8th seed next year rather than play a 19 year old rookie 40 minutes a game and struggle again. Fultz is projected to be really good, but he's not ready on day one. Jrue and Justin both fit nicely with everyone else they have on the roster, and by the time the other rookies start getting real money Jrue and Justin will be expiring contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Supposedly we have already offered him over $22 million a year on a 4-5 year deal. That is more than I would have wanted to give him anyway.
    STARTING at over 22 in year one. The two offers on the table are right around 4/100 and 5/120
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    They have ton of cap space.
    Does it make sense for them to sign a center with Embiid and Okafor on the team? Nope.
    Does it make sense for them to invest in a PF with Saric on the team? Nope.
    Does it make sense for them to sign a SF with Covington and Simmons on the team? Nope.

So what do they do with all that money? I think it would be smart for them to add the Holiday brothers for $40m and compete for the 8th seed next year rather than play a 19 year old rookie 40 minutes a game and struggle again. Fultz is projected to be really good, but he's not ready on day one. Jrue and Justin both fit nicely with everyone else they have on the roster, and by the time the other rookies start getting real money Jrue and Justin will be expiring contracts.
    Well if they're smart the save the money so they can pay to keep that team together. I never understood that about teams. Just because you have space don't mean you should just use it.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    This assumes that teams are comfortable with leaving an important position solely in the hands of a rookie. Or that teams see Jru as a true point guard. Not the combo, mostly 2 guard that he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    This assumes that teams are comfortable with leaving an important position solely in the hands of a rookie. Or that teams see Jru as a true point guard. Not the combo, mostly 2 guard that he is.
    We are not getting Holiday for a "nice" price. Because if he's going to take a discount he'll do it somewhere else. If Jrue comes back it'll be because we offered him more money. Ownership, management, and roster wise we aren't attractive to 1st-3rd tier free agents.

Thread Information