Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sixers looking to acquire top pick {edited: done deal}

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    They have ton of cap space.
    Does it make sense for them to sign a center with Embiid and Okafor on the team? Nope.
    Does it make sense for them to invest in a PF with Saric on the team? Nope.
    Does it make sense for them to sign a SF with Covington and Simmons on the team? Nope.

So what do they do with all that money? I think it would be smart for them to add the Holiday brothers for $40m and compete for the 8th seed next year rather than play a 19 year old rookie 40 minutes a game and struggle again. Fultz is projected to be really good, but he's not ready on day one. Jrue and Justin both fit nicely with everyone else they have on the roster, and by the time the other rookies start getting real money Jrue and Justin will be expiring contracts.
    So spend $35-$40 million a year on those guys and then add another $25-$30 million a year on Embiid on his contract. Probably $16-18 million on Covington. Where does that put them? Makes no sense.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    We are not getting Holiday for a "nice" price. Because if he's going to take a discount he'll do it somewhere else. If Jrue comes back it'll be because we offered him more money. Ownership, management, and roster wise we aren't attractive to 1st-3rd tier free agents.
    I know nothing for certain. But IMO, Jrue is gone. Only question is how much of a benefit from it we can gleam.

Sign and trade would be a best case scenario. I don't think we could work a draft day trade in some insane happening.

Bringing him back ain't ideal for how much he's likely to get. Unless we somehow acquired another true point guard.

But do teams really factor ownership into things unless ownership is also heavily involved in management? But players have to regard us as better off than before at the very least. AD and Cousins need to be talking to people. Working out with them. Teams that win have players that win off the court too.

I think people are reaching with this Holiday to the 76ers business. I think at one point they would have attempted to get him but now they choose to go younger and cheaper. It's similar to like why would the Pelicans still try to get Okafor when they have Cousins? I think they are going to sit on that cap space for when those young guys contracts are up. Maybe get a vet or 2 on a decent contract but not a big one.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    We are not getting Holiday for a "nice" price. Because if he's going to take a discount he'll do it somewhere else. If Jrue comes back it'll be because we offered him more money. Ownership, management, and roster wise we aren't attractive to 1st-3rd tier free agents.
    The only way I could see Jrue maybe taking a discount is for the 5th year of security.

Example, If other teams offer 4/110 maybe a 5/130 will be enough for him.

I hope that we have built up enough goodwill with Jrue over these last few years. For him to bolt and we not get anything in return would be poor form. Makes me think of Derrick "I flipped the truck of my ex-teammate, who's wife I'm nailing" Fisher, and how the Jazz let him walk so that he could take care of his daughter, and rather than going to a team in an area with top flight medical teams for his daughter he went to the Lakers. The Jazz took care of him, and he turned around and (as NBA Union President) painted owners as heartless greedy jerks.

Let's hope Jrue isn't Fisher.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    STARTING at over 22 in year one. The two offers on the table are right around 4/100 and 5/120
    Damn.

STARTING at over 22 in year one. The two offers on the table are right around 4/100 and 5/120
    Great. Soooooo, how much money would we have left to sign a real point guard?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Colangelo has ended the Process.

For better or worse, the 76ers are about to try and turn the corner, and they'll only have one real guard on their roster: Fultz. Simmons will also be a rookie, and if they try to play him as a traditional PG who happens to be 6'10", they'll turn him into Shaun Livingston. Ben is a small forward.

The 76ers have been below the cap for years now. Their ownership has money and is ready to start winning games, especially since it's anyone's guess how long Embiid's career is going to be.

Jrue and Justin may ultimately not be their targets, but the 76ers are going to spend money on guards this summer. Even with Fultz there are a lot of minutes to fill.

Lowry also might be ruled out for the Sixers now, increasing the chance of him signing with the Pels.

Also, if Dell went all in and offered two top-3 protected picks, and taking on Monta Ellis's contract, and Diallo perhaps, and possibly sign-and-trade for Jrue Holiday. Would that not be one of the best offers Pacers could get this offseason or at the trade deadline for George? But Dell takes the risk that DMCousins, Anthony Davis and a Paul George led team can make enough noise this season that PG and DMC both decide to re-sign. Omg could you imagine. And really just fill out the rest of the roster with key affordable role player finds.

Cousins/
    Davis
    George/

Or

Cousins
    Davis

Lowry

That just near matches any other big 3 in the league.
    Last edited by Rheem654; 06-18-2017 at 12:56 PM.

George is committed to going to Lakers. Pass

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...ers-leave-2018

I hope we don't go any higher.

Banned
    Jrue Holiday has played in 155 games in 4 years.
    Why would we want this guy?
    His game is weak he is damaged goods.
    The best thing that could ever happen for the Pelicans is for him to go.
    We already have 2 big men that are career losers at the professional level.
    Stats don't get you wins. We need a legit fresh Point Guard to create space for the big men to score.
    I still don't understand why you guys are so worried about keeping a injury ridden player with a steel rod in his right leg with screws.

Boston will use the extra picks to get Butler, sign Haywood outright, save cash 20m? by not taking pick.

Boston ina good position now and in future.

I'm guessing they get a first and okafor, trade 2first and Okafor for butler.

iT, butler, hayword, crowder, Hartford with Bradley, smart, rosier, brown, olynick, etc. bench, nuts

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by lsutigers33 View Post
    Boston will use the extra picks to get Butler, sign Haywood outright, save cash 20m? by not taking pick.

iT, butler, hayword, crowder, Hartford with Bradley, smart, rosier, brown, olynick, etc. bench, nuts

you might be right.....stephen a smith said that the 76ers turned down a offer from the bulls for the 3rd pick and butler.....said the 76ers like their youth movement.....i guess that knock jrue out the 76ers picture...

Quote Originally Posted by lsutigers33 View Post

If this happens that is nasty good team.

So if the Celtics pull it off, and land Butler and Hayward (to go with their current cast), do they get as much heat as the Warriors did when they win their title?

Also, does this cement Ainge as the best GM since Red?

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    So if the Celtics pull it off, and land Butler and Hayward (to go with their current cast), do they get as much heat as the Warriors did when they win their title?

No, because the Warriors are a super team, so any team fighting against them I support. If nothing changes these next couple years the playoffs will be extremely boring.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post

butler and hayward are not on KD level as a superstar.....curry and klay vs Butler and Hayward,,who do you say are the top stars?.............IT,,,butler,,,hayward are stars but not on GS level so i say if happen,,ill be cheering for boston the under dog.......i say no to getting heat if those 2 join boston....

Thread Information