Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Name the next...

Quote Originally Posted by Sujaguar00 View Post
    Yes, this is exactly what I said and precisely what I mean. Zaza Pachulia is more of a legend than Charles Barkley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If the whole point of a career is validating ones self with championships then Ron Harper (5), Derek Fisher (5), Kurt Rambis (4), and Will Purdue (4) should be considered legends.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

There is a difference between being a good player on a team that won a lot of rings and being the 2nd best player in the world.

No one hates on guys who are role players chasing a ring. That is their legacy. No one hates on end of career guys chasing rings. They've done everything else.

Guys in their prime, someone considered 2nd in the world, teaming up with the record setting all time winning team and another top 5 player (maybe even 3rd in the world) is beyond cowardly.

Again, he has all the right in the world to go where ever he wants. But he has to understand how badly this harms his legacy. He will always now be viewed as too weak to actually compete. He chased his ring and got it. Good for him. I will never respect him as a player again.

I think this picture sums it up pretty well:

Last edited by Mythrol; 06-14-2017 at 06:01 PM.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    There is a difference between being a good player on a team that won a lot of rings and being the 2nd best player in the world.

No one hates on guys who are role players chasing a ring. That is their legacy. No one hates on end of career guys chasing rings. They've done everything else.

Guys in their prime, someone considered 2nd in the world, teaming up with the record setting all time winning team and another top 5 player (maybe even 3rd in the world) is beyond cowardly.

Again, he has all the right in the world to go where ever he wants. But he has to understand how badly this harms his legacy. He will always now be viewed as too weak to actually compete. He chased his ring and got it. Good for him. I will never respect him as a player again.

Apparently I'm in the minority around here, but I just can't support the idea that joining a better team makes him weak or a worse competitor.

Also, Durant doesn't look at anyone on the Warriors as his rival or on his level as a player. GS may have improved the last 3 yrs, but LeBron is who Durant has been chasing and comparing himself to in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post
    It's hilarious to me that people get so mad at KD. He went out and accomplished what he wanted to do. If it was right or wrong is a matter of opinion. I wish some top players would take pay cuts to come play for the Pelicans to win a title.
    All the people in this thread bashing KD would love that too.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    All the people in this thread bashing KD would love that too.
    Here's the thing how many playoffs games did the Pelicans win last season? How many titles does this core have? How many regular season records have this core broken? Coming to NOLA to build something is the total opposite of what Durant did and it's why hes so heavliy criticized right now.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Here's the thing how many playoffs games did the Pelicans win last season? How many titles does this core have? How many regular season records have this core broken? Coming to NOLA to build something is the total opposite of what Durant did and it's why hes so heavliy criticized right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sujaguar00 View Post
    Apparently I'm in the minority around here, but I just can't support the idea that joining a better team makes him weak or a worse competitor.

Also, Durant doesn't look at anyone on the Warriors as his rival or on his level as a player. GS may have improved the last 3 yrs, but LeBron is who Durant has been chasing and comparing himself to in the league.

The Warriors have Curry, arguably the 3rd best player in the world and 2 time. MVP. Durant went crying to them not because he is a competitor, he specifically went to them because he was too weak to do it and needed a carry.

Name the next...

DT answered it better.

Banned
    Durant made a career move to better himself and the Warriors offered that opportunity.
    I salute the guy

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The sniper elite player who does that, comes to New Orleans to win a title? Dude would be canonized.

So, if KD had joined the Warriors during Kerr's first year (or Jackson's last) his move would be completely different?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post

Perfect post

So, if KD had joined the Warriors during Kerr's first year (or Jackson's last) his move would be completely different?
    Of course

Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    Name the next soft (KD)or ring chasing (D.West, Zaza) player that will join the Warriors.
    "Winning a championship after joining a team that won 73 games, is like losing your virginity to a hooker..." --Rihanna

https://youtu.be/zub0fmBxVCU

This dude does a pretty good job of explaining exactly why KD's move to the Warriors is so different than what we've seen previously and why it's bad for the NBA.

I see a lot of people griping, but no one has said anything on how to fix the issue?

I see a lot of people griping, but no one has said anything on how to fix the issue?

Actually I fixed it years ago, but sadly I am not a dictator yet

The fix is: Hard cap of 45-50 million for every team and then one unlimited slot for every team where you can pay a single guy anything you want and it doesn't count against cap

Forget four stars, I don't think you would have a team with two for very long. All the top end talent would be disbursed across the league and the elite guys like LeBron would finally get paid what they deserve while there would be no more Solomon Hills anymore.

Everyone gets paid what they deserve and talent is disbursed. You're welcome
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Actually I fixed it years ago, but sadly I am not a dictator yet

The fix is: Hard cap of 45-50 million for every team and then one unlimited slot for every team where you can pay a single guy anything you want and it doesn't count against cap

Forget four stars, I don't think you would have a team with two for very long. All the top end talent would be disbursed across the league and the elite guys like LeBron would finally get paid what they deserve while there would be no more Solomon Hills anymore.

Everyone gets paid what they deserve and talent is disbursed. You're welcome
    What about the CBA and the basketball revenue dispersement? Under your system, either the owners get a disproportionate sum, or every team ends up paying 50-60 million for one player. While a few players (LeBron, KD, Kawhi) may be worth that much, it would just lead to overpayments for others a the expense of mid tier players. At least in the current system, the money is more evenly dispersed. While a few underpaid superstars may suffer because of max contracts, the vast majority of NBA players benefit from it. Your system seems to do the opposite.

Yes. Being a poineer matters if we are to measure competitiveness. Joining a team you already know has great success isn't building. If say Durant went to DC and Wall play out of his mind like he did and Beal stayed healthy and they ran through the league I'd have zero problems with it.

There's been plenty discussion on how to fix it. Hard cap adjusting max contracts if not out right ending them. It's not that difficult but ultimately the league was built on superteams and they like them.

Durant wanted to win a title.
    GS had just lost to the Cavs.
    Durant wanted to go to a winner, and took a pay cut to do it. I don't have any problem with what he did. If anything it showed he is willing to put winning ahead of his money.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    What about the CBA and the basketball revenue dispersement? Under your system, either the owners get a disproportionate sum, or every team ends up paying 50-60 million for one player. While a few players (LeBron, KD, Kawhi) may be worth that much, it would just lead to overpayments for others a the expense of mid tier players. At least in the current system, the money is more evenly dispersed. While a few underpaid superstars may suffer because of max contracts, the vast majority of NBA players benefit from it. Your system seems to do the opposite.
    Incorrect

At the end of the year, all the salaries are totaled up and the 51% is calculated and the difference is paid out to the players. They still get 51% -- it's honestly not a hard problem to solve

There's been plenty discussion on how to fix it. Hard cap adjusting max contracts if not out right ending them. It's not that difficult but ultimately the league was built on superteams and they like them.
    I agree with this completely. Super teams are here to stay unless there is a hard cap. I have always been for a hard cap. One reason I think MLB will always be flawed without one.

This whole "problem" that everyone claims needs fixing stems from a single, unprecedented spike in the cap. And it absolutely needs to be pointed out that the league proposed a smoothing option that would have prevented that spike while still evenly distributing revenues. The players roundly declined such a measure. So Lebron, as VP of the players union, shares in the blame for creating the current Warriors.

Thread Information