Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Trade For Melo...Land CP3?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    This is what I keep telling people, but I am called a pessimist --- Bigs don't matter anymore, so that isn't a sell. Also, yes they are talented, but they are career LOSERS. Until they shed that label, nobody is going to line up to play for them and a coach who is a career loser as well. The owner is a laughing stock in league circles too, as this is his third priority at best. Other states have no income tax, better weather, better off court career opportunities. I can go on and on.

I know you are an optimist, but you gotta see how little appeal this situation has for top tier players
    None of this is the reason CP3 isn't considering the Pels. Just stop.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    This is what I keep telling people, but I am called a pessimist --- Bigs don't matter anymore, so that isn't a sell. Also, yes they are talented, but they are career LOSERS. Until they shed that label, nobody is going to line up to play for them and a coach who is a career loser as well. The owner is a laughing stock in league circles too, as this is his third priority at best. Other states have no income tax, better weather, better off court career opportunities. I can go on and on.

I know you are an optimist, but you gotta see how little appeal this situation has for top tier players

Yeah, let's not go too far here. There are a lot of reasons to like Denver and the Nuggets over NO. But playing with AD and Cousins has nothing to do with it. That's absurd. He's hardly talking to Denver because of Mudiay, Murray and Chandler. Let's be fair here.

Not that he is going to either.

My best guess is there are bad feelings(or just a bad taste) towards the Pels and we are off the list entirely.

So big bro how does what you say, make ANY sense with the Denver freaking Nuggets?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    Yeah, let's not go too far here. There are a lot of reasons to like Denver and the Nuggets over NO. But playing with AD and Cousins has nothing to do with it. That's absurd. He's hardly talking to Denver because of Mudiay, Murray and Chandler. Let's be fair here.

Not that he is going to either.

My best guess is there are bad feelings(or just a bad taste) towards the Pels and we are off the list entirely.
    It's not though. I'm sick of folks acting like New Orleans is like some crap city, when we have hosted and support some of the most events in the US. The only thing I can't argue is our organization and ownership. I find it hard to believe stars consider Denver to be "popping" over a place with great food, culture, laid back people, beautiful women, and fair weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    None of this is the reason CP3 isn't considering the Pels. Just stop.
    Nah, he is right about most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    The main reason likely is that they have a ton of cap room and can afford to offer him a huge contract in case he needs leverage.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    The main reason likely is that they have a ton of cap room and can afford to offer him a huge contract in case he needs leverage.
    Fair point

So big bro how does what you say, make ANY sense with the Denver freaking Nuggets?
    Denver is agents doing a favor to management. Wade did it last year. CP3 and Wade both have agents in CAA. They are doing a favor for Denver to get their name out for other players to consider.

This business is a lot more wink/wink and scratch my back than most even know.
    @mcnamara247

No he's not. Especially when it comes to the city of New Orleans.

No he's not. Especially when it comes to the city of New Orleans.
    So, the city of New Orleans is chalk full of great weather, no state income tax, and a bevy of off the court opportunities like you have in the Bay Area (KD now locked in with a billionaire on off court stuff), or LA, or NY?

I didn't say New Orleans was a garbage town. I am saying that if you want to expand your opportunities beyond the game, you don't have New Orleans atop your list. But the city isn't all that matters. If they had winning players, a winning culture, and a foundation up top that other players and agents around the league admired, then guys would be interested in the team, even if New Orleans doesn't have all those advantages.

But they have NONE of that. They have two players who everybody says are great, but that lose every year. Take off your fan glasses and find one inaccuracy in all of that.

So, the city of New Orleans is chalk full of great weather, no state income tax, and a bevy of off the court opportunities like you have in the Bay Area (KD now locked in with a billionaire on off court stuff), or LA, or NY?

I didn't say New Orleans was a garbage town. I am saying that if you want to expand your opportunities beyond the game, you don't have New Orleans atop your list. But the city isn't all that matters. If they had winning players, a winning culture, and a foundation up top that other players and agents around the league admired, then guys would be interested in the team, even if New Orleans doesn't have all those advantages.

But they have NONE of that. They have two players who everybody says are great, but that lose every year. Take off your fan glasses and find one inaccuracy in all of that.
    I just want us to be freaking great man.

I just want us to be freaking great man.
    But you have no control over it and never will. IMO, you should only "want for" or get emotionally attached to things you at least have some control over.

You have the misfortune of happening to like a team with poor ownership and average management and coaching (at best). Go ahead and watch and view it as entertainment, but don't want for anything or get attached in the slightest. That would be my advice, but it's easier said than done.

Yeah Benson is one of the bottom owners. He treats this franchise as if it's not a priority(which means it's not). The best thing he's done was keep the team here and upgrade the arena. Everything from the naming process to deciding to keep management has been awful.

Trade For Melo...Land CP3?

Yes, by and large New Orleans has pretty good weather. Plenty of opportunities outside off the court, etc.

There are, what? 6-7 teams that have more to offer off the court in their cities? GS, Clippers, Lakers, Heat, Knicks, Celtics, Rockets, Hawks that's about it.

How many NBA teams are in a place without state tax? 6. 3 of which are the Texas teams. Based off the numbers I saw from a year ago, Louisiana state sales tax is actually pretty low at roughly 6%. Compare this to all the California teams who are up over 12%. Yeah, sales tax has really hurt them. Boy I mean look at all the Free Agents Mark Cuban has been able to rope into Dallas with that no state tax thing. . .

There is a reason New Orleans hosts so many things. There is a reason the NBA came to New Orleans when they needed the ASG moved. Very few cities have as much infrastructure for handling tourist like New Orleans. New Orleans has more hotels in its area than any other city in the US except NYC.

Trying to use the city or even the state itself as a reason players don't want to come here is beyond idiotic. There are very FEW cities in the entire US that has as much culture, that is universally praised for its food, friendliness, and festivals.

Nor do I think the AD and Cousins being bigs stops players from wanting to come here like you asserted earlier. When Lillard was asked what player he would want to play with most in the NBA he answered AD.

No one denies that this coming season isn't extremely important. AD and Cousins have to win some games this year because they are together now. But AD has already taken one team to the playoffs and shows every year he is a top player. No player is saying to themselves that they would have no help if they went to the Pels. Again, what teams have two stars on the level of AD and Cousins? Less than 5? NBA teams usually need star power or an amazing system to win. If a free agent player is looking at top level talent, New Orleans is sitting near the front of the pack.

Yes it will take time, and yes this year is important for showing it but trying to say AD and Cousins isn't a draw for Free Agents or it's because they are bigs is stupid.

There is one issue that I view as harmful to free agents coming. That's the perception of others about the management/owner. Another reason this season is so important. I think you have a good season record wise and make the playoffs, win a couple games, and that will help ease a lot of the nervousness about the front office and shows they actually know how to put a team around AD and Cousins.

This whole rhetoric of the city, players, and organization are all detrimental to getting free agents needs to stop.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 06-16-2017 at 08:24 AM.

Yes, by and large New Orleans has pretty good weather. Plenty of opportunities outside off the court, etc.

There are, what? 6-7 teams that have more to offer off the court in their cities? GS, Clippers, Lakers, Heat, Knicks, Celtics, Rockets, Hawks that's about it.

How many NBA teams are in a place without state tax? 6. 3 of which are the Texas teams. Based off the numbers I saw from a year ago, Louisiana state sales tax is actually pretty low at roughly 6%. Compare this to all the California teams who are up over 12%. Yeah, sales tax has really hurt them. Boy I mean look at all the Free Agents Mark Cuban has been able to rope into Dallas with that no state tax thing. . .

There is a reason New Orleans hosts so many things. There is a reason the NBA came to New Orleans when they needed the ASG moved. Very few cities have as much infrastructure for handling tourist like New Orleans. New Orleans has more hotels in its area than any other city in the US except NYC.

Trying to use the city or even the state itself as a reason players don't want to come here is beyond idiotic. There are very FEW cities in the entire US that has as much culture, that is universally praised for its food, friendliness, and festivals.

Nor do I think the AD and Cousins being bigs stops players from wanting to come here like you asserted earlier. When Lillard was asked what player he would want to play with most in the NBA he answered AD.

No one denies that this coming season isn't extremely important. AD and Cousins have to win some games this year because they are together now. But AD has already taken one team to the playoffs and shows every year he is a top player. No player is saying to themselves that they would have no help if they went to the Pels. Again, what teams have two stars on the level of AD and Cousins? Less than 5? NBA teams usually need star power or an amazing system to win. If a free agent player is looking at top level talent, New Orleans is sitting near the front of the pack.

Yes it will take time, and yes this year is important for showing it but trying to say AD and Cousins isn't a draw for Free Agents or it's because they are bigs is stupid.

There is one issue that I view as harmful to free agents coming. That's the perception of others about the management/owner. Another reason this season is so important. I think you have a good season record wise and make the playoffs, win a couple games, and that will help ease a lot of the nervousness about the front office and shows they actually know how to put a team around AD and Cousins.

This whole rhetoric of the city, players, and organization are all detrimental to getting free agents needs to stop.
    I agree with a lot of this so I'll address what I disagree with. 1st the ideal that FA don't want to come here still exist. What FA have we signed that has put this to bed?

There are other cities like Dallas and Orlando that have greater opportunities for players. You mock Cuban and Dallas but Barnes, Parsons and Matthews are far better than anything we've gotten under Demps.

Lastly as I mentioned above your post ownership isn't just perceived as poor it is and management is equally as poor. Which isn't too surprising.

I want this team to be great. I just don't see it happening with the current way it's been run. I have no faith in Demps ability to be the top notch GM we need him to be and I have no faith thatcownership cares enough to do better.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 06-16-2017 at 09:35 AM.

Again, YOU CANT READ. This has always been your problem. You don't argue against what the other person actually is saying, but what you see.

Never said the weather was bad. Said it wasn't an ADVANTAGE. Same with no state income tax. Same with off the court opportunities. When listing ANY of those things, nobody says, "Yeah, going to retire in New Orleans so I can sit on the beach all day!" They say that for Miami. No state income tax is an ADVANTAGE 6 other teams have. On and on.

What is the New Orleans ADVANTAGE. Not what is "not bad", but what is something that city can give that 25-29 other cities can't? Are there SOME off the court opportunities? Sure. There are some in Milwaukee as well. But nobody says, "I gotta go to New Orleans to get my foot in the door so I can take off in X industry after my career ends."

Do you understand? Was that clear enough? Again, you gotta choose this team over 29 others, because if you are a needle moving player, all 30 will want you. So why would you EVER choose this city and this ownership over the other 29?

Again, YOU CANT READ. This has always been your problem. You don't argue against what the other person actually is saying, but what you see.

Never said the weather was bad. Said it wasn't an ADVANTAGE. Same with no state income tax. Same with off the court opportunities. When listing ANY of those things, nobody says, "Yeah, going to retire in New Orleans so I can sit on the beach all day!" They say that for Miami. No state income tax is an ADVANTAGE 6 other teams have. On and on.

What is the New Orleans ADVANTAGE. Not what is "not bad", but what is something that city can give that 25-29 other cities can't? Are there SOME off the court opportunities? Sure. There are some in Milwaukee as well. But nobody says, "I gotta go to New Orleans to get my foot in the door so I can take off in X industry after my career ends."

Do you understand? Was that clear enough? Again, you gotta choose this team over 29 others, because if you are a needle moving player, all 30 will want you. So why would you EVER choose this city and this ownership over the other 29?
    Schools aren't great. Matters for some guys. Sure, they can pay for private, but maybe they don't want that.

I would say the Sportsman life that Louisiana is known for is an advantage, but that only applies to some.

Festival scene and culture is an advantage that I'd give over some place but not so much as a place to retire. Hell, I'm from Louisiana and I want out as soon as I can.

The biggest plus I can see is the housing market and the political nature that this state can offer. Look at Drew Brees as an example. Got a great house in the hart of uptown NOLA and probably could have a career in politics after.

Lastly, the low-key lifestyle that this place offers. People here don't really get starstruck. AD has mentioned that multiple times in interviews where he feels part of the community.

Are any of those reason to sign on the dotted line? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the guy. Overall though, Mike, you're right there are distinct things that a young, multi-millionaire may want that NOLA may not be able to offer.

That was never my argument. You posted a lot of drivel about how AD and Cousins are bigs and don't matter, how other cities don't have income tax and have better weather.

I answered what I wanted to. The argument for me NEVER was the Pelicans are a better place than 29 other NBA teams. It has always been this pessimistic outlook that the city isn't good and the players aren't good is false and has NOTHING to do with why CP3 personally is not interviewing here.

As I've stated, outside of maybe 7 cities New Orleans offers JUST AS MANY opportunities if not more than every other NBA city. New Orleans has a relatively low state income tax compared to other NBA teams, less than half of California teams and Toronto.

Clearly you know nothing about New Orleans or South Louisiana in general because they are very loyal to their teams. Multiple football players have set themselves up for a future after they retired because of this fact. Which is a clear advantage.

The tie in with football is something completely unique to the Pelicans. The state of the art practice facilities that are joined with the Saints is a clear advantage. It offers opportunities and connections NO other NBA team can offer.

But again, my argument was never the Pelicans were the top free agent destination. It has always been that we offer just as many opportunities if not more than the large majority of NBA cities. Fix the perceived issue with owner/management by having a winning season and win some games in the playoffs and does anyone argue against us as a top 10 destination in all of the NBA?
    Last edited by Mythrol; 06-16-2017 at 11:21 AM.

All of your points are fair, but weather, income tax, and off the court opportunities are being oversold a bit. Lakers have all of that and a proven culture of winning. How many needle moving free agents have they attracted in the last couple of years? I don’t think you can hold those things in equal standing with the opportunity to play with superstars.

The Pelicans have arguably 2 of the top 10 players in the league. That's definitely a selling point and it distinguishes us from a lot of the other teams. Whereas it's fair enough to make the point that this organization hasn't proven itself capable of producing a winner yet, it's also fair to say that Davis and Cousins only played with each other for about 2 months. It's also fair to say that we gave away just about all of our SGs to make that trade happen.

You're probably right in that we don't have enough to attract an elite free agent this year, but we’ve got more than enough to attract a legit PG and a couple of solid role players this year. If Dell can pull that off and we stay healthy…we’re making the playoffs. Then, you can sell an elite player on being the difference maker.

Banned
    I think the big issue is coaching along with no players.
    We have 2 players that are considered Elite but have never won a playoff game.
    Alvin Gentry is a career loser.
    We have plenty holes to fill no doubt before Elite FA start to consider New Orleans as a destination for winning

That was never my argument. You posted a lot of drivel about how AD and Cousins are bigs and don't matter, how other cities don't have income tax and have better weather.

I answered what I wanted to. The argument for me NEVER was the Pelicans are a better place than 29 other NBA teams. It has always been this pessimistic outlook that the city isn't good and the players aren't good is false and has NOTHING to do with why CP3 personally is not interviewing here.

As I've stated, outside of maybe 7 cities New Orleans offers JUST AS MANY opportunities if not more than every other NBA city. New Orleans has a relatively low state income tax compared to other NBA teams, less than half of California teams and Toronto.

Clearly you know nothing about New Orleans or South Louisiana in general because they are very loyal to their teams. Multiple football players have set themselves up for a future after they retired because of this fact. Which is a clear advantage.

The tie in with football is something completely unique to the Pelicans. The state of the art practice facilities that are joined with the Saints is a clear advantage. It offers opportunities and connections NO other NBA team can offer.

But again, my argument was never the Pelicans were the top free agent destination. It has always been that we offer just as many opportunities if not more than the large majority of NBA cities. Fix the perceived issue with owner/management by having a winning season and win some games in the playoffs and does anyone argue against us as a top 10 destination in all of the NBA?
    So, just fix the unfixable thing (ownership) and we are good?

Sounds like a plan! Let's do it!!! I'll chip in $20

So, just fix the unfixable thing (ownership) and we are good?

Sounds like a plan! Let's do it!!! I'll chip in $20
    If I could fix the unfixable thing you would never have went back on your word about leaving.

Maybe some will come to be part of the statue movement.

Banned
    Remember if any of these players thought the Pelicans were the team to catch a ride with for a shot at a Championship they would be all over this place.
    The Davis Cousins combo don't seem to be drawing interest wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by lsutigers33 View Post
    Maybe some will come to be part of the statue movement.
    We've already got Asik.

Thread Information