Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Per Woj Sam Mitchell emerging as an assistant coaching candidate for the Pels

Per Woj Sam Mitchell emerging as an assistant coaching candidate for the Pels

Last edited by MistaWhoDat; 05-25-2017 at 07:51 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Lotta potential Gentry replacements are potentially on staff.

Does this mean Finch is not coming to the Pels ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    Does this mean Finch is not coming to the Pels ?

Kushner is reporting Phil Weber won't return, opening up another spot on Gentry's staff. Add that to Robert Pack's departure and room for both Mitchell and Finch, potentially.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Phil Weber is gone according to Kushner on Twitter. That creates the opening for Mitchell.

Seems with Pack and Weber out, the idea may be to create a stronger coaching staff around Gentry. Mitchell was a bad head coach in Minny but presumably a very solid assistant to reach that opportunity.
    @DanielVeuleman

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Phil Weber is gone according to Kushner on Twitter. That creates the opening for Mitchell.

Seems with Pack and Weber out, the idea may be to create a stronger coaching staff around Gentry. Mitchell was a bad head coach in Minny but presumably a very solid assistant to reach that opportunity.
    Kevin Garnett gives Mitchell boatloads of credit for the player he became. That's gotta mean something!

Weber always made me uncomfortable in an evangelical kind of way.

Sam Mitchell. The man that may or may not have been body slammed by Vince Carter in a locker room fight. lol

The man knows his stuff though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Phil Weber is gone according to Kushner on Twitter.
    Never really cared for him. He came across like a used car salesman.

Seems like they know Gentry showed have been fired but choose not to for stability. So now the FO is hand picking his staff. So far they choose Fitch, Erman, and now maybe Sam.

1-6

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    Seems like they know Gentry showed have been fired but choose not to for stability. So now the FO is hand picking his staff. So far they choose Fitch, Erman, and now maybe Sam.
    I know people love to hate on Gentry.

But let's be realistic. Demps has not attracted any major assistants of his own accord.

Gentry brought in Erman. Was wise enough to keep on board Hanson and Vinson. Has been around the league as long as anyone. Is universally loved on a personal basis. Has been pretty open that the identity of the team needs to change with the ac/dc pairing.

Maybe, just maybe, we should entertain the idea that he is part of the reason we are potentially acquiring this talent.

And I say this as someone that was not opposed to firing him and never wanted him in the first place.

I don't know how anyone could watch that video and not immediately think that guy was awesome.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Never really cared for him. He came across like a used car salesman.
    Reading the :07 seconds or less book by McCallum, the players said he'd sometimes show up to the meetings with female friends of the same tier as the players that's a really good basketball read for anyone who may be looking for one, by the by.

I did care for Weber either I think if both Mitchell and Finch sign with us that it will be and upgrade at both positions .

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I don't know how anyone could watch that video and not immediately think that guy was awesome.
    I'm right there with you. Candid, knowledgeable and succinct in his thoughts.

I've never followed Mitchell, but seems like he would add head coaching and playing experience along with an understanding of how to coach young players.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I know people love to hate on Gentry.

But let's be realistic. Demps has not attracted any major assistants of his own accord.

Gentry brought in Erman. Was wise enough to keep on board Hanson and Vinson. Has been around the league as long as anyone. Is universally loved on a personal basis. Has been pretty open that the identity of the team needs to change with the ac/dc pairing.

Maybe, just maybe, we should entertain the idea that he is part of the reason we are potentially acquiring this talent.

And I say this as someone that was not opposed to firing him and never wanted him in the first place.
    Pretty sure it was Demps who hired Erman.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    Pretty sure it was Demps who hired Erman.
    https://sports.yahoo.com/news/source...164205332.html

https://youtu.be/sxTGOpP9-1c
    (At 8:43 he introduces Erman and Pack as "assistants that I've hired")

I'm sure Demps was part of the process. I can't imagine how he wouldn't be. My only point was that we should probably consider that Gentry played a role in this as well.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 05-26-2017 at 12:23 PM.

I think Gentry has a role in almost all decisions, but the word is that a few of his staff hires were basically Dell, Erman being one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    I think Gentry has a role in almost all decisions, but the word is that a few of his staff hires were basically Dell, Erman being one of them.
    Well that kinda irks me. I mean if you're going to hire a guy to coach let him pick his assistants

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    Well that kinda irks me. I mean if you're going to hire a guy to coach let him pick his assistants

Did Dell not? Gentry has always appeared 100% on board with the hiring. Erman was clearly the defensive coach. That is not an area of strength for Gentry.

Dell very well could have explained that part of the deal of hiring Gentry was bringing in a defensive guy to run the defense and he already Erman in mind, with Gentry whole heartedly agreeing on Erman. Heck, Gentry himself said he wanted to emulate Kerr's style which was to have assistants that handled offense and defense.

Judging from how Gentry complimented Erman multiple times this season it's clear he's not upset about Erman being here. He actually has Erman run all of the defensive team meetings and call all the defensive sets during the game.

I think you're making a big deal about nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Did Dell not? Gentry has always appeared 100% on board with the hiring. Erman was clearly the defensive coach. That is not an area of strength for Gentry.

Dell very well could have explained that part of the deal of hiring Gentry was bringing in a defensive guy to run the defense and he already Erman in mind, with Gentry whole heartedly agreeing on Erman. Heck, Gentry himself said he wanted to emulate Kerr's style which was to have assistants that handled offense and defense.

Judging from how Gentry complimented Erman multiple times this season it's clear he's not upset about Erman being here. He actually has Erman run all of the defensive team meetings and call all the defensive sets during the game.

I think you're making a big deal about nothing.
    Not really making a big deal though? Just said it irks me 🙄

Not really making a big deal though? Just said it irks me 🙄

I think that's a bigger deal than even Gentry cares about it. He's clearly on board.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar

Is this actually a thing, though? Do coaches pick their assistants wholly?

I know it comes up in football a lot. But sometimes it's in the area of head coaches bringing in coaches for the other side of their specialty like with the Saints. People will say let our DC choose their assistants.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Is this actually a thing, though? Do coaches pick their assistants wholly?

I know it comes up in football a lot. But sometimes it's in the area of head coaches bringing in coaches for the other side of their specialty like with the Saints. People will say let our DC choose their assistants.
    I mean you'd think right? U mean I'm just thinking if I was a coach I'd want to pick my own assistants maybe the nba is different I just assumed they do lol

Banned
    Teams make moves in the offseason.
    The Pelicans have some serious issues and challenges facing them this upcoming season.
    Cousins is like a mystery? Is he looking to use New Orleans to springboard to a big ball club?
    Coaching stability is a issue. Alvin Gentry is not wildly regarded as a winner in this league.
    Most players that have choices seem to look for winning programs with history of winning.
    It appears the Pelicans are trying to build a good core of asst coaches

Thread Information