Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Multiple Reports: T-Wolves targeting D.Rose

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    He's getting a max. Probably not worth it, but it's going to happen: age, athleticism, 3&D prototype, market, incompetent GM...the components are there.
    Excuse my ignorance, but would KCP's max be from any team other than Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    That doesn't {edited - veiled language} work in the NBA at a championship level. Your starting group needs to be able to shoot efficiently. Rubio is a terrible shooter and cost Wolves several games because he is a chucker. A bad one at that.
    A chucker? You just made it clear that you don't know anything about Rubio.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Minus the DUI, what's your thought on tossing a few bucks towards KCP? Detroit's QO is just under 4 million. I honestly think the would consider parting ways w/ him. Really good athlete. Adequate shooter, long and aggressive.
    A few bucks? He's getting a max or close to it. I'd be very surprised if Detroit let him go.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    I want Sergio Rodriguez

Rodriguez

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    That doesn't {edited - veiled language} work in the NBA at a championship level. Your starting group needs to be able to shoot efficiently. Rubio is a terrible shooter and cost Wolves several games because he is a chucker. A bad one at that.
    You either do not know what a chucker is or have not watched Rubio in too many games. How many "chuckers" shoot 8 times a game while playing 30+ minutes a game? Rubio is not a great shooter, but his mid-range is pretty good. He also averages about 9 assists a game, a couple steals a game and shoots 90% from the line. I want a PG who can facilitate and get the ball to AD and DC and not be a huge shooter. Alone, he is not the answer. But coupled with some shooting pieces, I think he is a good fit at a relatively decent price.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    A few bucks? He's getting a max or close to it. I'd be very surprised if Detroit let him go.
    I doubt they let him go, but I think Brooklyn throws a lot of money at him.

KCP is a wing. Porter is a wing.
    Wing is a position of need.
    Everybody wants wings.

DET and WAS would love not to pay max to both of them. But if they will have to - they will match.

IMO KCP is almost certain to get max.
    You only need one team and one offer.

In the past Utah did not wanted to give Hayward max. He signed an offer sheet with Hornets with 4th year player option. this year it might bite Jazz.
    Sacto offered Boogie only 4 years in place of 5. With longer contract Sacto might have get more for him etc.

Those are team building decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    You either do not know what a chucker is or have not watched Rubio in too many games. How many "chuckers" shoot 8 times a game while playing 30+ minutes a game? Rubio is not a great shooter, but his mid-range is pretty good. He also averages about 9 assists a game, a couple steals a game and shoots 90% from the line. I want a PG who can facilitate and get the ball to AD and DC and not be a huge shooter. Alone, he is not the answer. But coupled with some shooting pieces, I think he is a good fit at a relatively decent price.
    Not to mention with AD and DC racking up the fouls, Rubio is nice to have at the line in the bonus.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I'd much rather see if they've completely soured on Dunn and see what it would take to get him.

But I also have been watching every minute of these Celtics games because someone in their backcourt is going to be the odd man out. Marcus Smart might be a good target.

I don't get this league. How is KCP a max player? His defense is solid but not all world, he doesn't create his own shots at a star level, he can't create for others, and he's a subpar career 3pt shooter(he shot his best this year @35% and is a career 33%). I'd never be a buyer in a market that sees KCP getting a max deal.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 05-25-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but would KCP's max be from any team other than Detroit?
    Possibly the Nets, but I expect the Pistons to retain him nevertheless since he's a RFA.

Again, do I think he should get the max? No. But I think it's inevitable based on the market's obsession with young, athletic wings who can shoot the 3 and reasonably defend.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 05-25-2017 at 11:53 AM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I don't get this league. How is KCP a max player? His defense is solid but not all world, he doesn't create his own shots at a star level, he can't create for others, and he's a subpar career 3pt shooter(he shot his best this year @35% and is a career 33%). I'd never be a buyer in a market that sees KCP getting a max deal.
    Supply and demand, playa! Augmented by an artificial cap on salaries.

The reason he gets a "max deal" is because a max deal exist and there's a salary cap (floor and ceiling). If there was no "max deal" and free agency operated like a true free market, he probably wouldn't get that much. But a team like the Pistons might spend 70% of whatever they budget for players on a free agent like Gordon Hayward and guys like Curry and Durant would be pushing for ownership percentages in addition to salary this summer. Sports leagues are weird.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Supply and demand, playa! Augmented by an artificial cap on salaries.
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    The reason he gets a "max deal" is because a max deal exist and there's a salary cap (floor and ceiling). If there was no "max deal" and free agency operated like a true free market, he probably wouldn't get that much. But a team like the Pistons might spend 70% of whatever they budget for players on a free agent like Gordon Hayward and guys like Curry and Durant would be pushing for ownership percentages in addition to salary this summer. Sports leagues are weird.
    Some of this is on the league a lot of it though are on bad Gm's plain and simple. KCP shot 39% this year. I don't care how little supply there is or promise he has no way I'd give this guy a max under any circumstances!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I'm all for spending a 2018 first rounder for Rubio, signing a good shooter and basically calling it a day (letting Jrue walk). Then hopefully Diallo takes a leap and we get lucky with a signing like we did last year with instant grits. Roll one more year with Asik just so we will have more cap room Next year before signing Cousins. That should be enough to at least be a five seed with competent coaching and health.
    Last edited by donato; 05-25-2017 at 03:02 PM.

Some of this is on the league a lot of it though are on bad Gm's plain and simple. KCP shot 39% this year. I don't care how little supply there is or promise he has no way I'd give this guy a max under any circumstances!
    But someone will, because they know the true superstars that are worth twice the current max, are still capped at the "max". Look at the Warriors and Cavs. If they had to play their real superstars what they were truly worth, there's no way they'd give max deals to anyone else because the guys that deserve it would soak up all the room.

Or look at the Pelicans. If they had to play true value for AD and Cousins, do you think they'd even entertain giving Jrue a "max"?

These arbitrary caps and floors and maxes are why above average players get paid like they're superstars.

But someone will, because they know the true superstars that are worth twice the current max, are still capped at the "max". Look at the Warriors and Cavs. If they had to play their real superstars what they were truly worth, there's no way they'd give max deals to anyone else because the guys that deserve it would soak up all the room.

Or look at the Pelicans. If they had to play true value for AD and Cousins, do you think they'd even entertain giving Jrue a "max"?

These arbitrary caps and floors and maxes are why above average players get paid like they're superstars.
    I firmly understand the impact of max contracts and I think they need to be reworked(only because I know they aren't going anywhere). The max should be 50% of the cap. However it doesn't make giving KCP a max more logical even under the current CBA.

I firmly understand the impact of max contracts and I think they need to be reworked(only because I know they aren't going anywhere). The max should be 50% of the cap. However it doesn't make giving KCP a max more logical even under the current CBA.
    Logical, no. Inevitable, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Logical, no. Inevitable, yes.
    I guess if it's inevitable that teams keep hiring front office people that have no clue of what they're doing the answer is yes.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    I'm all for spending a 2018 first rounder for Rubio, signing a good shooter and basically calling it a day (letting Jrue walk). Then hopefully Diallo takes a leap and we get lucky with a signing like we did last year with instant grits. Roll one more year with Asik just so we will have more cap room Next year before signing Cousins. That should be enough to at least be a five seed with competent coaching and health.
    I have no idea what will come of it, but I would be very surprised if the Pel's didn't take a hard look at both Rubio and Mills...not sign both, of course, but strongly consider how each of them might fit here....personally, I prefer Rubio with Davis and Cousins...
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Patty Mills (Cp3 is going to the Spurs)
    That wouldnt be a bad fit. I also think that the new PG need to be a good shooter so I say NO to Rubio. I would be happy with Mills depending on the contract.

I'd much rather see if they've completely soured on Dunn and see what it would take to get him.

But I also have been watching every minute of these Celtics games because someone in their backcourt is going to be the odd man out. Marcus Smart might be a good target.
    I like Smart too.

Thread Information