Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Boston has a decision to make - AD?

Boston has a decision to make - AD?

Just for discussion, Im seeing how Boston isn't anywhere close to beating the Cavs and they have 2 things they can do.

1. They could trade away a few vets, keep the pick, and wait out LJ legacy.

2. Trade a bunch of assets to try and find a way to match up and compete with Cavs.

Which one would you do? If you are Boston, are you calling Demps to see what it will take to get AD?

Is there anyway in the world you would trade AD?

If I did trade AD, its looking like a total rebuild in NO and starting with Olyneck, J Brown, Smart, Fultz, nets in 18 and clips or men 19 which ever is lower.

Quote Originally Posted by lsutigers33 View Post
    Just for discussion, Im seeing how Boston isn't anywhere close to beating the Cavs and they have 2 things they can do.

2. Trade a bunch of assets to try and find a way to match up and compete with Cavs.

Which one would you do? If you are Boston, are you calling Demps to see what it will take to get AD?

If I did trade AD, its looking like a total rebuild in NO and starting with Olyneck, J Brown, Smart, Fultz, nets in 18 and clips or men 19 which ever is lower.

It's a superstar league

Boston is getting killed in the ECF because they don't have a superstar

None of those players you've listed are going to be superstars except Fultz MAYBE

All-Star

Boston has a decision to make - AD?

There is absolutely no offer that can take AD away from us, from no team in the league.

The Celtics need a superstar and they won't get one in his early 20s.

They will either wait 4/5 years to develop Fultz and whoever they take next year with Nets pick, or trade it all for DeRozan or George.
    Either way we are closer than them from an NBA championship just for having AD and Boogie.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    If you trade AD, you need to trade Boogie as well. Considering AD is going to end up qualifying for that Mega Max contract that Hayward and George just missed out on, I think the Pelicans would have to have an epic failure next year for AD to leave when he's free. That's just too much money for him to pass up on.

So, no, you don' trade AD. You do however call up Boston and see if you can trade them your 2018 for someone who might be the odd man out when Boston adds to their team this summer.

Sure for every player they have and any future draft picks for the next 10 years

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lsutigers33 View Post

So you trade AD for all the guys that just proved they cant compete in the EAST. Huh

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Delko View Post
    There is absolutely no offer that can take AD away from us, from no team in the league.

The Celtics need a superstar and they won't get one in his early 20s.

They will either wait 4/5 years to develop Fultz and whoever they take next year with Nets pick, or trade it all for DeRozan or George.
    Either way we are closer than them from an NBA championship just for having AD and Boogie.
    U had me til u said derozan lol

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Banned
    I say we ship D.C. Over for their pick #1 in the first round

Boston just got beat down by the cavs and you want that team here , no thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    & that accomplishes what exactly. Uh the idea is to win QUICKLY for AD's sake. You don't get rid of the best offensive #5 in the game for a rookie. Ask Champ, Buckwheat, he may agree with you ! Lolol. Because nobody else does.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    & that accomplishes what exactly. Uh the idea is to win QUICKLY for AD's sake. You don't get rid of the best offensive #5 in the game for a rookie. Ask Champ, Buckwheat, he may agree with you ! Lolol. Because nobody else does.
    A lot of people think they are one in the same lol

I sometimes wonder what people think draft picks produce? Are they expecting some kid to come out of the draft and starting turning everybody's cups of gatorade into wine?

If you were to have the #1 pick and end up with a player as talented as Cousins you would consider yourself really lucky. Drafting a Demarcus Cousins is the entire point of the draft. The LeBron unicorns might come along every 10-15 years, but 90% of the time. Cousins is as good as you are going to do. Blake, Wall, Kyrie, none of these guys are better than Cousins. Cousins should have been a #1 pick by all rights. And so now you've got the ultimate bird in the hand. You've got the best center in the game, fully developed, in his prime, in town. And you want to trade him away to go get..a pick, that maybe, if you are lucky, might turn out one day to be as good as the guy you just traded away? And on top of that, this water walking 19yr old isn't going to be ready to be that good for years, by which team you threaten to lose the interest of your in prime superstar A.D.. This is all of course if you don't screw up and draft Bargnani or Bennett, or a player who's body won't hold up like Oden.

In other words, no, you don't. In a Lebron draft, where the whole world was watching this one kid as the next Michael? You could consider that. Or a Shaq draft. Otherwise? You finally get the player to put alongside A.D. that is virtually guaranteed to make you into a winning franchise...and the first thing you want to do is to immediately dump that player for the crapshoot that is the draft? That's...not smart. it is, however, how bad franchises remain bad forever.
    Last edited by Bricklayer; 05-20-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    That's a great idea, if you want to lose AD and be a perennial lottery team! Get on the phone with Dell asap!

Once we traded for Boogie, any and all discussions about trading AD stopped immediately and rightfully so. We have the chance to build something special here, with what could possibly turnout to be the best frontcourt in NBA history. You don't pass that up for some draft picks and young players who aren't stars yet themselves.

Banned
    D.C. will be in OKC if the Pelicans don't win big next season.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Once we traded for Boogie, any and all discussions about trading AD stopped immediately and rightfully so. We have the chance to build something special here, with what could possibly turnout to be the best frontcourt in NBA history. You don't pass that up for some draft picks and young players who aren't stars yet themselves.
    right? Hey we have two of the hardest things to get from the draft, lets send them away and start again. I assume people love the IDEA of a new mystery hope and dream, but would probably be the first people on here whinging about sucking and needing to find our Anthony Davis. Let's see what these guys can do this season, is that not an exciting enough prospect? Build a fun team to watch and I can get behind that easily. Saw plenty of patches of this last season, and most importantly they also aligned with the players having fun too.

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    A lot of people think they are one in the same lol
    Count me in that # Sarcasm. I like the way he conducts a two-man soliloquy w/ Buckwheat & the Pseudo Buckwheat !

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Why is the discussion always about players LEAVING New Orleans? Even from our own fans?

We get AD and all we talk about is where our next sniper elite player is gonna come from. And then one FALLS RIGHT INTO OUR LAPS thanks to a single owner who had a higher opinion of one of our players than anyone thought possible...

And somehow that still results in people thinking our roster still isn't good enough or that we need to keep moving for more pieces? I say we make it work with AD and Cousins or we're starting from scratch and knowing full well we could be the Sixers for the next 10 years.

Shee, why aren't players knocking down the door to come play with us? Here, in NOLA? Is the shrunken world with social media filling in the blanks, really not enough to overcome market size?

Good feedback.

I don't understand the mindset of fans. All things should be on the table if it increases the outlook of the team. Cousins is under contract next season that's it and after that we as a franchise have no control what so ever about his future plans. His pairing with Davis has had mix results. Plus the rest of the team is subpar. And pending this off season could actually be worse than last season as far as overall talent. If trading him or Davis can result in a better team then it needs to be done. Of course the team won't even consider the long term benefits because our GM has been and remains in self preservation mode. Even with Davis and Cousins we were the 10th best team in the West nobody should be safe when that happens or if the team has one 8 seed in 6 years. We are worse than the 6ers moving forward.

The Franchise
    There are 3 ways I could go if I were Boston
    1. Sign Heyward, trade the first for butler. This would be a win now approach have IT, Butler, Heyward, and horford to compete.
    2. Take Fultz and play him at 2 guard until you can hand him the reigns for IT but build for 3 years from now with decent chances at playoffs. Still potential for top 3 pick next year for center.
    3. Trade down with 76ers for their first and next years first (better of theirs and lakers) and Okafor. Pick Josh Jackson. Then have IT, Jackson, Jalen brown, horford, and okafor. Next year grab or trade their picks and sign one or 2 big FA. This would be the way I'd go. They could still have a blend of young and vets and by year 3 when Lebron starts to wear down you jump in.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Mixed results because that's the best they're capable of doing or is the sample size too small?

And what sort of better team could be forged? What team can could make that trade and make us better after trading Cousins or Davis? Would Klay Thompson, McCraw and a bunch of firsts make us a better team?

It's not so much the trade isn't on the table, but no such trade exists unless a GM is dropping acid like a clumsy scientist like Brooklyn was when it traded everything for aging guys like KG, Pierce, and Jason Terry.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I don't understand the mindset of fans. All things should be on the table if it increases the outlook of the team. Cousins is under contract next season that's it and after that we as a franchise have no control what so ever about his future plans. His pairing with Davis has had mix results. Plus the rest of the team is subpar. And pending this off season could actually be worse than last season as far as overall talent. If trading him or Davis can result in a better team then it needs to be done. Of course the team won't even consider the long term benefits because our GM has been and remains in self preservation mode. Even with Davis and Cousins we were the 10th best team in the West nobody should be safe when that happens or if the team has one 8 seed in 6 years. We are worse than the 6ers moving forward.
    No, this is not understanding the NBA. The NBA is a stars league. Stars win you games and eventually titles. The goal is not to accumulate the best collection of talent, its to accumulate the best concentration of talent. The Pels, almost in spite of themselves, have backed into a Top 5 talent pairing. More like Top 3 actually. That is by FAR the most difficult thing to do in the league. The Pels right now have a better 1-2 pairing than the Bucks have had in 40 futile years. They have a better 1-2 pairing than the Kings/Royals have EVER had in 70 years in the NBA. A Better 1-2 pairing than the Pacers have had since the ABA folded. This is practically a once in a fan's lifetime event for anybody who is not a fan of the Lakers. Its nothing you remotely trifle with. Everything to do from this point onward is flat easy comparatively.
    Last edited by Bricklayer; 05-21-2017 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    No, this is not understanding the NBA. The NBA is a stars league. Stars win you games and eventually titles. The goal is not to accumulate the best collection of talent, its to accumulate the best concentration of talent. The Pels, almost in spite of themselves, have backed into a Top 5 talent pairing. More like Top 3 actually. That is by FAR the most difficult thing to do in the league. The Pels right now have a better 1-2 pairing than the Bucks have had in 40 futile years. They have a better 1-2 pairing than the Kings/Royals have EVER had in 70 years in the NBA. A Better 1-2 pairing than the Pacers have had since the ABA folded. This is practically a once in a fan's lifetime event for anybody who is not a fan of the Lakers. Its nothing you remotely trifle with. Everything to do from this point onward is flat easy comparatively.
    It a pairing that ended in the 10th spot in the conference. And that isn't necessarily an indictment on the Davis/Cousins pairing as much as it's probably everyone else around them. However how do we improve everyone around them in our current cap situation? If we struggle again this season and the chance to go to Washington is there next year to play with his good friend John Wall would Boogie past that up? These are the things that people seem to be overlooking that I don't understand. If DMC had 3 more years this isn't nearly the concern it is right now. Far too many high stake questions. Can a team centered around two bigs win in this era of space and pace? Will Holiday be back and healthy? If not can we find and/or afford a suitable replacement? We'll have 60+% of our cap space going to 3 players that are centers in this league. This team has significant issues facing it moving forward if we can solve some of those issues trading 1 of the 3(really 2 because Asik barring giving away a 1st is untradeable). Then it needs to be on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    It a pairing that ended in the 10th spot in the conference. And that isn't necessarily an indictment on the Davis/Cousins pairing as much as it's probably everyone else around them.
    What are you talking about??? How many games did they play? 19?

You don't pre-emptively make dumb short-sighted moves to "protect" yourself on the assumption that its not going to work out. The entire goal of free agency and the draft is to get players like DC and AD. Thats the whole point. If it doesn't work then it doesn't work. But you don't let them play 19 games, then decide to trade one of them away.

That is just beyond stupid.

Thread Information