Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans close to hiring Nuggets Assistant Coach to staff

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    Exactly where I'm at like let's move on to the draft and free agency

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    This! It's time to move forward with what we have and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    This! It's time to move forward with what we have and hope for the best.
    This! You guys should check out my thread about 2nd round prospects. It's alot to be excited about with this offseason!

I don't wanna hear no more Negative pessimistic crap. Let's keep this good momentum moving. Great hire. Read alot about the guy.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Pelicans close to hiring Nuggets Assistant Coach to staff

Has it gone through? I'm anxious to hear this one get locked in.

Edit:

Scott Kushner says:

"New #Pelicans** asst Chris Finch served as the Nuggets' lead offensive asst last year. Denver finished No. 2 in offensive rating post-ASG."

https://twitter.com/scottdkushner/st...45178660413442

There's also this tweet from Kushner:

"I can confirm @ESPNSteinLine's report that Chris Finch will fill a spot on Alvin Gentry's staff."

So it sounds like it's a done deal. He's the most locked in writer we have for the Pels.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 05-19-2017 at 05:57 PM.

Really excited about this hire, just from the tweets posted here. If anyone finds any articles or other material on coach Finch, please share it here. I'm glad we brought in an offensive assistant, who seems to specialize in bigs and offenses based around the front court. I like that alot, since my main gripe in keeping Gentry was that his system has been more guard-oriented.

Now let's bring in the right players to make it work.

For those that want to know more about his career and what he's done:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chri...h_(basketball)

A short summary would be, he has taken every team he has coached to either the finals of the league they are in or outright champions except for 1 team. He did it twice in Europe, and once in the D-League before finally being hired by the Rockets in 2011. He was eventually named as Associate Head Coach for them until last year when he went to the Nuggets as Associate Head Coach.

The guy has the chops and the resume to soon get a head coaching offer. Makes me wonder why he decided to do a lateral move to the Pelicans. Maybe he feels like if he can turn this team into a contender the Head Coaching offers will come, sort of like Gentry and Luke Walton at GS.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post

A short summary would be, he has taken every team he has coached to either the finals of the league they are in or outright champions except for 1 team. He did it twice in Europe, and once in the D-League before finally being hired by the Rockets in 2011. He was eventually named as Associate Head Coach for them until last year when he went to the Nuggets as Associate Head Coach.

The guy has the chops and the resume to soon get a head coaching offer. Makes me wonder why he decided to do a lateral move to the Pelicans. Maybe he feels like if he can turn this team into a contender the Head Coaching offers will come, sort of like Gentry and Luke Walton at GS.
    Or to go down the UNO/Champ avenues, perhaps he is the potential next HC candidate for the Pels should Alvin not be re-signed (or retire if that comment someone mentioned about Barkley trying to convince him not to has any truth to it).

Good on us bringing in another offensive mind, maybe we will be able to create some sort of hybrid offense to maximize AD and Boogie's talent.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    You can't be conventional. Cuz AD and Cousins aren't conventional players. Way too skilled for their sizes.

Isn't Erman already the associate head coach?

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

So Finch replaces Pack I see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    So Finch replaces Pack I see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wait really?

Let's see if this embeds properly.

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    Wait really?

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post

Really liked him damn but hey he's trying to get a head coaching gig more power to him

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post

Let's see if this embeds properly.
    I wonder if he could possibly coach our G-League team, when we get one.

Btw, when did it become the G-League, instead of the D-League?

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Btw, when did it become the G-League, instead of the D-League?
    Brand new change, aligning with Gatorade as a sponsor.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the...ade-2017-02-14

I think we are still a fair bit off from having a team, so hard to say. He could get the summer league team.

Awesome, really love the way the Nuggets play. Just want to see better movement off the ball from this team as a result of this hire.

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    Or to go down the UNO/Champ avenues, perhaps he is the potential next HC candidate for the Pels should Alvin not be re-signed (or retire if that comment someone mentioned about Barkley trying to convince him not to has any truth to it).
    That is certainly possible. I can't see a reason for him to make a lateral move unless he feels there is potential for advancement either here or by improving our offense and then getting the HC offer he wants.

That is certainly possible. I can't see a reason for him to make a lateral move unless he feels there is potential for advancement either here or by improving our offense and then getting the HC offer he wants.
    Yeah I'm also not sure if Pack left on his own to chase a HC gig, or if his yearly review didn't go down well and that was the nicely worded out for him. Reading around there has definitely been the potential HC label thrown around with Finch so always possible. Personally I just hope our players are open to his ideas and smart enough to run with them. Seems to push the players to constantly be probing and testing the defense, and giving them the freedom to make the right choices themselves. Movement on and off ball important. Theoretically it shouldn't be a big difference, Gentry values the same things. Our groups intelligence has been questioned though, hopefully some willing new signings will help. Another point is the coaches finding the right balance between o and d. The points around solos shooting suffering because of the drive to get back on d, maybe a comfort with the system will help allow more focus on offense.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Good on us bringing in another offensive mind, maybe we will be able to create some sort of hybrid offense to maximize AD and Boogie's talent.
    Galineri NEXT ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Galineri NEXT ?
    I just thought about that move as well. Is it possible?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I just thought about that move as well. Is it possible?
    Man, would that be a deadly front line.

It's an interesting hiring fr the Pels. I was first worried of a possible "replacement" of Erman given how effective was the pels defense after Cousins' trade but now I see only upside in this hiring.

One name that could come up due to Finch now is Deng, Finch coached him with the GB national team so I'm sure there is still a bound between the two of them.

Curious about the offer given to Finch.
    Nugs have upwards trajectory.

Was it DMC -AD combo? Or future HC commitment?
    Finch is exactly a type of assistant who soon becomes HC.

Thread Information