Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Free Agent Sleeper?

Free Agent Sleeper?

Has played with Boogie, can play PG with Jrue moving to SG, might be available for MLE money and is a player who was putting up real good numbers before personal problems took over.

High risk, high reward potential. Is he committed to being the best he can at basketball? Does and Peak Denver Ty Lawson with Jrue, Solo, AD and Boogie make you think "Hell yea, we'll win games with that!"

I dunno, the video was a little bit fanboy but Ty is a guy I did notice started playing ok last year, and if he is really finding his potential, I'd be glad to have him here.

All depends on the price. It would also have to have wording to protect against him going off the deep end with drinking again.

I do agree if he actually has head on straight that he could be a good starting level pg on a reasonable contract.

I can give him a shot, but first have to know is alcohol still a problem in his life...

and also - for BAE maybe, for MLE never...

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Definitely a BAE contender. No way can you gamble the MLE on him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When can the Pels start going after free agents and filling this roster around our two stars ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    When can the Pels start going after free agents and filling this roster around our two stars ?

July 1st, right?

Banned
    July 1, 2017 is when it opens.
    The ball clubs start writing checks on July 7, 2017.

Lawson would be a great fit. Also hope they can add A. Tolliver

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    C.J. Miles.... Friends with Solo.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He's not going to be much of anything on defense, however. Which is my primary concern...

Thanks guys , we don't have to much longer to wait .

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    Is Gallo a FA? What do you guys think of trying to get him?

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    Gallinari not Galloway. Hahaha

Read that staff was not high on Galloway and likely would not want him back.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post

Has played with Boogie, can play PG with Jrue moving to SG, might be available for MLE money and is a player who was putting up real good numbers before personal problems took over.

High risk, high reward potential. Is he committed to being the best he can at basketball? Does and Peak Denver Ty Lawson with Jrue, Solo, AD and Boogie make you think "Hell yea, we'll win games with that!"

I dunno, the video was a little bit fanboy but Ty is a guy I did notice started playing ok last year, and if he is really finding his potential, I'd be glad to have him here.
    I have been touting this on and off for the last few months and agree with the OP here on this being a potentially sneaky good way to add frontline talent without chewing through all the capspace or assets.

Everybody, including me, had largely written off Lawson before last season, but he was legitimately good for the Kings. As in you could feel the punch when he entered the game good. Got along well with Cousins, and far more of an impact guy than Frazier. And the best part is that he would likely still come cheap. Teams are still going to be wary of dropping a big contract on him.

Both guys came into the league in the same draft 8 years ago, and before the burnout year 2 years ago, was anybody confident that Jrue had definitely had the better career at that point?

Career Per 36 numbers:
    Holiday 15.9pts (.515TS%) 4.0reb 7.0ast 1.6stl 0.4blk 3.0TO 16.3PER
    Lawson 15.6pts (.555TS%) 3.4reb 7.4ast 1.4stl 0.1blk 2.6TO 17.2PER

only the second guy might only cost you 1/2 or even 1/3 of what the first guy will cost.
    Last edited by Bricklayer; 06-06-2017 at 05:42 PM.

One of GSW big might have to get traded this offseason. We know it won't Curry as he getting a 200 million extension. KD is looking to opt in. Green is on a pretty good deal. Klay might be a tradeable assets with two years left on his contract.

I comes down to if GSW is gonna pay the tax. Someone like Klay would be perfect tho.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Read that staff was not high on Galloway and likely would not want him back.
    Where'd you see that? Gallo basically benched Buddy to close out games because he was so good off the bench. I find it hard to believe that they didn't like Gallo but routinely used him to close out games.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    One of GSW big might have to get traded this offseason. We know it won't Curry as he getting a 200 million extension. KD is looking to opt in. Green is on a pretty good deal. Klay might be a tradeable assets with two years left on his contract.

I comes down to if GSW is gonna pay the tax. Someone like Klay would be perfect tho.
    They are minting money and about to move into new arena...can't imagine they'll balk at the tax.

Jimmer's year in China has renewed his confidence and he will play considerable minutes for some NBA team. The Pel's could find a real gem here at reasonable cost.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post

They'll pay the tax. They won't be able to pay some guys like Ian Clark if he gets MLE or more, or if someone wants to reward Javelle McGee. But they'll keep their core together until at least summer of 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    Jimmer's year in China has renewed his confidence and he will play considerable minutes for some NBA team. The Pel's could find a real gem here at reasonable cost.
    Oh lord, I thought Jimmermania was well and completely over.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    If Jimmer finds NBA success that's great for him. I just don't think a 3rd try makes much sense for Jimmer or the Pels.
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Oh lord, I thought Jimmermania was well and completely over.
    Not now, nor ever have been a Jimmer fan. Just wait and see.

Sign Marcus Thornton and Jimmer, have them battle for the same spot and let's see this board take fire.

Regarding Lawson, I don't know, he only thrived in up-tempo system and has real off-court issues.

Also there's something not to forget, I don't think we should focus on surrounding Boogie with former team-mates, he got a lot of bad blood with rookies (Lowe reported that he "ruined Stauskas") and also with team-mate like I.Thomas. That's why it's important to focus on bringing new faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    Sign Marcus Thornton and Jimmer, have them battle for the same spot and let's see this board take fire.

Regarding Lawson, I don't know, he only thrived in up-tempo system and has real off-court issues.

Also there's something not to forget, I don't think we should focus on surrounding Boogie with former team-mates, he got a lot of bad blood with rookies (Lowe reported that he "ruined Stauskas") and also with team-mate like I.Thomas. That's why it's important to focus on bringing new faces.

on this I can speak.

Former teammates and coaches that you would do best to avoid:
    Paul Westphal (!!)
    George Karl (!!!)
    Spencer Hawes
    Jason Thompson
    Samuel Dalembert (I think)
    Nik Stauskas (although it would just be Nick being intimidated, I don't think Cousins thinks much either way except he was scared)
    Rudy Gay (number of rumblings and implications that Rudy was over it)
    Aaron Brooks
    James Johnson (which I wish could be overcome because he seems like a good FA target)
    Donte Greene

Former coaches and teammates who were friends and allies and it would actually be nice to acquire + they might even come for Boogie:
    Dave Joerger
    Mike Malone
    Anthony Tolliver
    Garret Temple
    Omri Casspi
    Ty Lawson
    Darren Collison
    Matt Barnes
    Ben McLemore (but you want no part of that mediocrity, friend of Cuz or not)
    Rajon Rondo
    Reggie Evans
    Patrick Patterson
    Skal Labissierre
    Georgis Papagiannis
    Malachi Richardson
    Francisco Garcia

I think, but am not sure, that guys like JJ Hickson, Luther Head, Marco Bellinelli 1 or 2 others weren't happy. But the situation was always such a mess I'm not sure whether it was Cuz or just the losing chaos.

I think, but am not 100% sure that guys like Quincy Acy, Seth Curry, etc. would actually be Cuz supporters, or at the very least he was very vocally supporters of theirs. Of course he was also a vocal supporter of Willie Cauley-Stein, and yet WCS seemed to be woofing in rather ungrateful fashion after the trade, so who knows.

Cuz's relationship with Tyreke and IT could best be described as ambiguous. Always reported this way and reports that way, and ambiguous tweets, or interpreted tweets...and it just wasn't clear. One thing that cannot be overstated though is just how badly Cousins has wanted to win for years now, and so some of the ambiguity could stem from guys he might have liked who he wasn't sure could help him win, or vice versa.

In any case, he and Lawson got along very well. Cousins was a primary supporter, and Lawson spoke highly of him. Ditto Collison. Given both guys could be available as cheap fill ins this summer, that's handy. Somebody should try giving Omri a call again too if Demps didn't mess it up with that quick cut when he got hurt. He actually considers Boogie a good friend.

Thread Information