Pelicans Report

Thread: Pelicans looking to aquire two draft pics in this coming draft?

Question Pelicans looking to aquire two draft pics in this coming draft?

*Mod please fix the word pics for me *

Don't know how to post tweets, but the homie MM share recently that Pelicans are looking to aquire two players in this draft, one rotational player, and the other a project. This makes sense since we will have our own D League team. MM also mentioned the Pels are still watching Pat "King Kong" Young overseas, so UDFA will be important for us.

Should make Summer League intriguing, what's y'all take? Do we trade up in the draft?

Which players that fit the the mode Rotational/Project would y'all like?

My combinations are these:

1. Nigel Willams Goss/ Jonah Bolden
    2. Semi Ojeleye/ Antonio Blackney
    3. Josh Hart/ Peter Jok
    Last edited by Silverfoxx; 05-30-2017 at 07:20 PM.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Given the Pels general lack of assets, and the assumption that a rotational player would only be expected from a first round pick, which the Pels don't have, does this mean that Dell in his infinite wisdom is actually planning on burning some of the few resources he has in order to get a first round pick and take a risk on an unproven kid?

The Franchise
    I'd say Jawun Evans with a late first from Portland. Then Devin Robinson with second as project. This is what I hope to see at least. Evans seems like a good scorer and we need that for when players go under screens. Robinson looks like he could be an Otto Porter type of player, good defense with a decent but developing offense.

Think one of the assumptions is it woundn't be a first as that contract would be guaranteed. A second is not guaranteed and they would want flexibility for free agency in July.

Trying to nab a rotation player with a 2nd round pick...Dell does know that this time he's trying to build a playoff ready team right?

Don't see the reason for trading to the late first.
    why? Because between 12-30 picks there is no consensus. there are many bigs. there will be some stash etc.
    you may target player X, but somebody may take him off your hands. And also the price for 1st rounder is high

It is better for team control to get second rounder.

Boston has 37, 53 and 56 pick
    Utah has 42 and 55
    Magic 33 and 35
    76ers 36,39, 46, 50

I will ask 76ers for 36 or 39 for Pels 2018 second rouder (swap)
    or will buy one of picks for cash.

we have also rights to Latavious Williams

trade him for one of the picks from 76ers
    he is kinda of asset

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...To-Dump-Salary

I would imagine that means they are trying to escape the Turner and Crabbe contracts. That would be one way you could trade into the first round without giving up an asset...except cap room is an asset too. And if you waste it basically "signing" Evan Turner....

Don't touch Turner
    Crabbe - well, he is at least worth considering. Of course with a pick.

Courious what Pels might send them?
    Asik?

Crabbe for Asik,Qpon, Ajinca works financially

I will do it even without picks. Portland won't

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    What about Aminu?

Quote Originally Posted by Briceklayer View Post
    Trying to nab a rotation player with a 2nd round pick...Dell does know that this time he's trying to build a playoff ready team right?
    I'd go with Evans as well.
    Last edited by Densmore; 09-03-2020 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    What about Aminu?
    His contract is fair.
    They wont dump him

With the increased amount of money teams can send in trades with the new CBA maybe the Pels are planning on buying a late 1st. They probably have their eye on a specific player in each round that they really like.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    *Mod please fix the word pics for me *
    If you had a swear word in the title this would have been edited days ago!

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar

Demps is sitting on the left wing, by the column in the white shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    two players in this draft, one rotational player, and the other a project. This makes sense since we will have our own D League team

First, minor detail, but the Pels won't have a DLeague team next year. Every team will have 2 of the new 2 way roster spots designated for DLeaguers, but the Pels own DLeague team won't start until the following season.

Secondly, it's very unlikely that anyone they draft will get one of the 2 way roster spots. The 2 way spots are rumored to be limited to earning $275k per year and are only allowed to be called up to the parent team for 45 days a year. With those limitations it's really only suitable for UDFAs or if you buy a very late 2nd rounder so you can throw a little extra money at a guy you "draft" before cutting him and signing him as a UDFA to a 2 way spot.

If they do plan to draft 2 players I'd expect them to make the regular roster. Even the "buy the #60 pick" scenario I mentioned seems unlikely. You probably have to spend $500k to get the pick. Is getting player #60 instead of player #65-#70 really worth spending that much?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    If you had a swear word in the title this would have been edited days ago!
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

Demps is sitting on the left wing, by the column in the white shirt.
    Hmmm. I like Hart, although MM is not a fan of him. I honestly would not be mad if we took Hart or Thornwell tbh

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    First, minor detail, but the Pels won't have a DLeague team next year. Every team will have 2 of the new 2 way roster spots designated for DLeaguers, but the Pels own DLeague team won't start until the following season.

Secondly, it's very unlikely that anyone they draft will get one of the 2 way roster spots. The 2 way spots are rumored to be limited to earning $275k per year and are only allowed to be called up to the parent team for 45 days a year. With those limitations it's really only suitable for UDFAs or if you buy a very late 2nd rounder so you can throw a little extra money at a guy you "draft" before cutting him and signing him as a UDFA to a 2 way spot.

If they do plan to draft 2 players I'd expect them to make the regular roster. Even the "buy the #60 pick" scenario I mentioned seems unlikely. You probably have to spend $500k to get the pick. Is getting player #60 instead of player #65-#70 really worth spending that much?
    I was not aware of this scenario, thanks for sharing

It costs even more.
    Last year 54th pick (Felder) was worth 1,5 millions...

In this draft there are many guys on the edge of second round. Whom teams will target when they will go undrafted.
    I will buy it. Its Bensons money

If I'm not mistaken teams have a total of 5m now they can use in transactions for the season. If they really want a pick they can probably buy one without too much of an issue.

May be wrong but thought it was 3 millions

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    May be wrong but thought it was 3 millions
    Old CBA it was. The new CBA I'm pretty sure they increased the amount.

Thread Information