Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mav's going after Jrue

Lukewarm interest in staying?

It's a BUSINESS -- he should get every dollar he can. And don't act like you guys are all holy and loyal. If trading Jrue could net you a better player, you would do it in a heartbeat and not care one bit about him having to move his kids out of school or sell a house he might love, etc

Fans are such hypocrites
    @mcnamara247

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Lukewarm interest in staying?

It's a BUSINESS -- he should get every dollar he can. And don't act like you guys are all holy and loyal. If trading Jrue could net you a better player, you would do it in a heartbeat and not care one bit about him having to move his kids out of school or sell a house he might love, etc

Fans are such hypocrites
    Wrong. At that level its not simply about getting every dollar you can, other variables factor into the decision. KD didn't get more money to go to Golden State. Remember Eric Gordan got the most money possible from the Pelicans, but he didn't want to be here and the team suffered for bringing him back. Players want to go wherever they want to go, its not just about the dollar amount. In fact I expect the Pelicans to be the top bidder and Jrue will leave anyway.

KD sacrificed a little bit of money for titles-- which will get him more money post career

Jrue should be sacrificing money to live in a city with terrible schools and crime and a team that has never won anything? Makes sense!

KD sacrificed a little bit of money for titles-- which will get him more money post career

Jrue should be sacrificing money to live in a city with terrible schools and crime and a team that has never won anything? Makes sense!
    who said anything about him sacrificing money? I said that Pelicans will give him the best offer.

Maybe New Orleans is not an ideal place for someone like you, but then again that's whats cool about it

I was hoping CP3 could be the Pelicans PG and Jrue could be the SG.

Lol every state has everything you just listed
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

I don't know what the point of saying that was? He will be making 20+mm a year... you don't think he can insulate himself from that stuff? Are you just saying that to get a reaction? Most of us live in this city and come to the forum to not think about that. Whats the point in saying that other than to just get some hate that I guess you want?

Do you need the attention?

Quote Originally Posted by heybigmatt View Post
    I don't know what the point of saying that was? He will be making 20+mm a year... you don't think he can insulate himself from that stuff? Are you just saying that to get a reaction? Most of us live in this city and come to the forum to not think about that. Whats the point in saying that other than to just get some hate that I guess you want?

Do you need the attention?
    Lol. Most people with means won't be sending their kids to public school. Even if they did, they'd get pushed to the front of the line for schools like Ben Franklin or McMain. I do believe Jrue is the religious type, and there is an over abundance of Catholic private schools in Nola. So scratch the schools as some issue.

Nola has a murder rate/shooting problem. But as far as all other crimes, it's either at or below the national average. Plus, New Orleans is a metropolitan city. So it has these things called...suburbs.

Last, there is this thing of playing with not one, but TWO of the best players in the league? And for a franchise that has bent over backwards to make him feel comfortable?

I highly doubt teams are going to break the bank to sign him. If they do...sayonara. However, New Orleans has to be at or near the top of his list. Even if it means taking less pay.

What as his point? To let us know he doesn't live here maybe? I gotta stay signed in so I don't read the stupid stuff.

No-- the argument is

Re-sign Jrue and operate above the cap and get the guys that affords you = good team but a definite ceiling of 2nd round playoff team

Vs

Get an okay guard with 1-2 years on his deal, run things through AD and Boogie, be a playoff team. Maybe get into the second round in two years and then go to Wall or Butler or whomever and ask them to team up

Five percent chance that works. But isn't that better than a zero percent chance?
    Have people capped Boogie and AD's ceiling? Are we sure they're as good as they're going to get? What if they both play at 1st team ALL NBA levels, which they're clearly capable of.

I love when people throw arbitrary numbers into an argument just to make a subjective thought seem to be something more than what it is. The musings of a dude who has no track record of evaluating talent shouldn't be quantified. It's like adding a statistical value to a fart.

There's a 100% chance you can't show your work on how you came up with a "5% chance" and "0% chance".

...a city with terrible schools and crime
    Is that what you picked up on living in Utah listening to Cash Money and Juvenile at the gym?

But those deals will be off the books and/or easy to unload in the summer of 2019. So, get a bunch of guys on two year deals and I promise you won't be much worse than you would if you just cashed in all your chips on Jrue. Heck, you might be better because those guys will be hungry for their next deal

Then AD and Boogie can go to studs and say, "Hey, we just won 50 games with scrubs. You take their place and we are a title team!"

Again-- it is a long shot. But go the Jrue route and you have zero shot of ever being a contender
    Well I guess that is kind of my point. I'm not going to pretend like Cousins will walk out on the money he will probably receive, but if we let Jrue go and he sees that as a lack of ambition, would he potentially leave? I myself doubt it, and I don't see the Pelicans winning a title with Jrue taking up all of our space. Cousins is a wild card though. You don't know if he'd just walk out of on you (I agree with your overall point; Jrue can't be the PG if we are looking to win a title).

Quote Originally Posted by smcgull View Post
    I was hoping CP3 could be the Pelicans PG and Jrue could be the SG.
    I think it should be pretty much impossible creating the cap room for a (at least very close to) max contract for CP3 while resigning Jrue. Proove me wrong if you like, I just don't see the maths working at all - at least if you don't dump some contracts in totally unrealistic scenarios or sign them both to totally unrealistic contracts.
    Last edited by Werdiknight; 05-25-2017 at 05:00 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    D'Angelo Russell for Jrue Holiday. Disregard possiblility.

Is that a yay or nay?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

Is that a yay or nay?
    Ayy yay.

Is that a yay or nay?
    I've been on the D'Angelo Russell bandwagon since last year's draft. I think he'd be a great fit in what I think we're trying to run.

It's the one move that I feel is best able to both replace Jrue, give us a player with upside and ready to play now, and keep us flexible. And Russell is going to be available. Only Ingram should be untouchable.

Plus, Jrue would love it and he deserves it.

...just how do we get the Lakers to go for it?
    Last edited by Eman5805; 05-26-2017 at 08:22 AM.

It's the one move that I feel is best able to both replace Jrue, give us a player with upside and ready to play now, and keep us flexible. And Russell is going to be available. Only Ingram should be untouchable.

Plus, Jrue would love it and he deserves it.

Only way is if we take back Deng or Mozgov. I'd pass if that's the case.

Mav's going after Jrue

You can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    You can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I think "can't" is too strong. It's doable, but like ThRONe said, you'd have to take back a bad contract. Those contracts for Deng and Mozgov coming in one offseason are as bad collectively as anything Demps has done. Mitch Kupcake will struggle for the rest of his life to explain that if he ever tries to get another GM job.

If you're the Lakers would you rather have $25m tied up in Deng and Russell, or would you rather have Jrue?

Could the Pelicans stick Deng in the corner and get 20 useful minutes per game out of him?

The more I think about it, the more I think the Pelicans are the team that says no, not the Lakers. But if Jrue if there is mutual interests between Jrue and the Lakers, I'd hope they would consider this rather than let him walk for nothing.

If Jrue left to team X (not necessarily the Lakers) and we got a $25m TPE, and the Lakers came calling looking to dump Deng and were willing to attach Russell, would we take on Deng's contract just to get Russell? I don't know.

Of course it's "doable", we could move AD or Cousins. Maybe taking back a bad contract or two.

However when I said you can't it was implied that we wouldn't be able to come up with a deal both sides would want. We don't have similar assets to make a deal worth.

I also don't think any deal centered around Jrue S&T there is realistic. I don't think the Lakers want long term money tied up in him. Not when they are more than likely going to get their guard of the future from the draft.

Nor should the Pelicans be looking to take on MORE bad contracts.

Of course it's "doable", we could move AD or Cousins. Maybe taking back a bad contract or two.

However when I said you can't it was implied that we wouldn't be able to come up with a deal both sides would want. We don't have similar assets to make a deal worth.

I also don't think any deal centered around Jrue S&T there is realistic. I don't think the Lakers want long term money tied up in him. Not when they are more than likely going to get their guard of the future from the draft.

Nor should the Pelicans be looking to take on MORE bad contracts.
    Which means this, or a similar move, suddenly became a lot more likely to happen.

If there's one thing you know about Demps is that he makes moves. And most of them people do not like.

I could easily see him reasoning that adding Deng or Mozgov to get Russell is a fair trade. Or maybe we get a 3rd team involved to facilitate something else? Either way, not every trade obviously benefits both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Lakers have set their goals for Paul George and/or DMV in 2018. They have zero interest in Jrue.

Which means this, or a similar move, suddenly became a lot more likely to happen.

If there's one thing you know about Demps is that he makes moves. And most of them people do not like.

I could easily see him reasoning that adding Deng or Mozgov to get Russell is a fair trade. Or maybe we get a 3rd team involved to facilitate something else? Either way, not every trade obviously benefits both sides.

I agree with you often man but this trade idea benefits neither side.

I agree with you often man but this trade idea benefits neither side.
    It doesn't have to be this trade specifically, mind you. The only thing I'd want is Russell.

But I just believe that whatever Demps does, I don't think many of us will like it for reasons including taking on a bad contract or something in that area. Demps is an even greater optimist than I am.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar

MCNamara brain dead insult about New Orleans is typical. Jefferson & St. Tammany have some of the top rated public schools in the country. And BTW also have some of the lowest crime rates in the country. Again, McNamara has diarrhea of the mouth, which in turn makes him sound like an ignorant piece of crap. Hey, MM , keep your desperate interloping Arse in Utah.

Banned
    I don't see Jrue wanting to play for the Pelicans next season.
    He talks with other players often and he sees the overall big picture.
    I am sure Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson opened his eyes about playing for a chance at the title with a big time ball club.
    Expect Jrue to weigh his options leaning towards a playoff team

Thread Information