The Franchise

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    They can have Jrew and Jrue.

Banned
    Hurry up Mavs take him off our hands.
    How about taking Q Tip and Asik also

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Imagining Jrue with a yamaka...

I bet Cuban just wants to drive up the price for Jrue!

The Mavs may have "interest" in Jrue, but they're not a real threat to sign him. I think it's gonna boil down to us and the Knicks.

Dirk says he is coming back next year for $25m so then it would be impossible - Barnes $23m, Matthews $18m, Noel could take $20-25 to resign - Until Dirk leaves, i don't see how they fit another $30m into the cap.

But if Dirk leaves and Mavs are committed to starters Matthews, Holiday, Barnes, Powell, and Noel for $110 per year (just starters) through 2020 - they would be in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Andynola View Post
    Dirk says he is coming back next year for $25m so then it would be impossible - Barnes $23m, Matthews $18m, Noel could take $20-25 to resign - Until Dirk leaves, i don't see how they fit another $30m into the cap.

But if Dirk leaves and Mavs are committed to starters Matthews, Holiday, Barnes, Powell, and Noel for $110 per year (just starters) through 2020 - they would be in serious trouble.
    The option belongs to the Mavs, not Dirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Andynola View Post

The way the contract is set up is that Dirk will take less for a better team and if the Mavs can't pull better players they give the difference to Dirk on a one year basis.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Let them give him the max and let's move on.

I cannot believe Dallas is crazy enough to pay Dirk $25 million for one season. Isn't he like 40 now?

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Let them give him the max and let's move on.
    Pass

Quote Originally Posted by stormcenter View Post
    I cannot believe Dallas is crazy enough to pay Dirk $25 million for one season. Isn't he like 40 now?
    It's the Kobe "payment for past services/franchise significance" thing.

And Cuban has been doing this kind of thing for years in the declining Mavs/Dirk era. Ever since he screwed up and wouldn't pay to keep his title team together. He's thrown max money at Wes Matthews, DeAndre Jordan, Harrison Barnes, maybe now Jrue. He's the borderline All-Star #3/#4 guy's best friend as he desperately tries to just hang on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    It's the Kobe "payment for past services/franchise significance" thing.

And Cuban has been doing this kind of thing for years in the declining Mavs/Dirk era. Ever since he screwed up and wouldn't pay to keep his title team together. He's thrown max money at Wes Matthews, DeAndre Jordan, Harrison Barnes, maybe now Jrue. He's the borderline All-Star #3/#4 guy's best friend as he desperately tries to just hang on.
    It's not like the Kobe deal. Dirk will opt out to create cap space for the Mavs. If free agency comes and goes and the Mavs can't sign anyone of note than Dirk will sign another deal for the remaining cap space. Kobe was just out to get his at the expense of the franchise.

I would let the market set his rate. If a team trying to overpay him. Send them a 10 hour loop of his playoff elimination performance.

Lets go all in for John Wall!

We have nothing outside of AD and Boogie that the Wizards would consider for Wall

If you are dreaming of Wall - only way you may get him is to wait till he will be a FA.

And believe that he would love to join an elite 'Kentucky' team

still doubt how it will look financially. his max will start at about 35 millions...

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    If you are dreaming of Wall - only way you may get him is to wait till he will be a FA.

And believe that he would love to join an elite 'Kentucky' team

still doubt how it will look financially. his max will start at about 35 millions...
    That's when Washington are forced to do a sign and trade for Wall and we give them Jrue. That or they lose Wall for nothing.

Wait, no one realistically expects us to get John Wall right?

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Not next season.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    That's when Washington are forced to do a sign and trade for Wall and we give them Jrue. That or they lose Wall for nothing.
    but he is not expiring till 2019
    also - by staying in WAS he can get designated max soon

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    No-- the argument is

Re-sign Jrue and operate above the cap and get the guys that affords you = good team but a definite ceiling of 2nd round playoff team

Vs

Get an okay guard with 1-2 years on his deal, run things through AD and Boogie, be a playoff team. Maybe get into the second round in two years and then go to Wall or Butler or whomever and ask them to team up

Five percent chance that works. But isn't that better than a zero percent chance?
    @mcnamara247

This is where things get complicated. We put ourselves in an unenviable position by trading 1st rounders and sacrificing cap space for Asik. Hill is also relatively unproven and is taking up a big chunk of space. The odds of us being able to attract a top-tier free agent are very slim when we already have the cap working against us, so I can see why the board would be compelled to re-sign Jrue as we have his rights. We also have to deal with Boogie's contract. We either need to prove we are ambitious enough, or hopefully he is more enticed by the big pay check coming his way if he stays. We are so close, but a few mistakes may end up biting us in the rear.

But those deals will be off the books and/or easy to unload in the summer of 2019. So, get a bunch of guys on two year deals and I promise you won't be much worse than you would if you just cashed in all your chips on Jrue. Heck, you might be better because those guys will be hungry for their next deal

Then AD and Boogie can go to studs and say, "Hey, we just won 50 games with scrubs. You take their place and we are a title team!"

Again-- it is a long shot. But go the Jrue route and you have zero shot of ever being a contender

At first I wanted to keep Jrue, but his lukewarm interest in staying makes me feel differently. I think the Pelicans are better off keeping him, but he is not an irreplaceable talent like AD or Cousins.

Thread Information