Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2nd Round/ Undrafted Gems.

Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    Big fan here, he's quite close to a perfect fit (great 3 point shooter with defensive toughness) but since he's only 6'5, it's hard to envision him playing at the 3 so that's why Iwundu has a small edge for me.
    Why are people overlooking Iwundu when Semi Ojeleye has better leadership skills, athleticism, 3 point, and energy. The only thing Semi Ojeleye has to work on is his defense.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Why are people overlooking Iwundu when Semi Ojeleye has better leadership skills, athleticism, 3 point, and energy. The only thing Semi Ojeleye has to work on is his defense.
    Iwundu is a true wing, he has all fundamentals to defend on the perimeter, he's a better passer, better handle, more length.
    Regarding Ojeleye my biggest knock on him is my doubt about his ability to transition to the 3. I think it will be hard, especially in a league were 3 are smaller and quicker with small ball. He would be a good option as small ball 4, but he may not succeed at the 3 in NBA. Also, the scouting report of the combine from draftexpress tends to confirm my fears.

All-Star
    For some reason I see us drafting a PG and get rid of Frazier.
    I just don't see us pick a wing that will be behind Hill,Moore, Crawford, Qpon and eventually Dante if he resigns, when we have only Jrue at the point that even might become SG next season (assuming he comes back)

I see us trading for PG and drafting wing.
    Even maybe signing one guy from abroad. Ayon/Roberts -like

All-Star
    There are good names abroad at guard, but I'm not sure the big names that could have 25 min of playing time in the NBA such as Teodosic and DeColo would like to come over.

My hope is still to find a way to trade Asik for a PG with a worse contract such as Knight.

One name to keep an eye on abroad: Brad Wanamaker. 6'4 with 6'8 wingspan, 28 years old, 2016-2017 all euroleague second team, 16.7 ppg 4,5 assists shooting 38.6% from 3pt.

Would like to see us buy a 1st rounder due to the depth of talent in this draft. Portland has 3 1sts and significant cap issues next year. I do not see them drafting 3 guaranteed contracts. I imagine at least one pick will be a draft and stash. If we could buy say pick 20, maybe we could have a shot at a player falling (i.e. if Kennard. Jackson or Anunoby fall) or take a shot on Jawun Evans or Derrick White there. We could use a cheap guaranteed contract on the bench and grab a better than usual developmental player with the late pick.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I'm almost 100% certain we aren't going to sit back. We're gonna make a move to get into the 1st round. Not sure how. But I figure buying one is prudent.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I'm almost 100% certain we aren't going to sit back. We're gonna make a move to get into the 1st round. Not sure how. But I figure buying one is prudent.
    Hope so.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I would bet they'd try but unless they use a future first, I don't think they've got the goods to get there.
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    I would bet they'd try but unless they use a future first, I don't think they've got the goods to get there.
    Could buy a pick (maybe the #26).

Why Portland might want to sell late 1st rounder for say 3-5 millions? When they can attach it to dump 10s of millions of Crabbe/Turner dollars

Expect sellers of mid /late seconds.
    First rounders are acquired in trades these Times. ..

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    Why Portland might want to sell late 1st rounder for say 3-5 millions? When they can attach it to dump 10s of millions of Crabbe/Turner dollars

Why? Because maybe whoever they want to trade doesn't want Evan Turner or Allen Crabbe.

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post

Will be tough to get someone to take on those contracts for a late first. Maybe #15 could draw that attention, but doubt #26 does. They do not want to add more guaranteed contracts with their cap situation. Now, they may be able to trade it for a protected future 1st rather than sell it.

I have to say that I'm torn with the opportunity of trading for late first round picks.

On first end, if you look at it from CBA prospective, they are fully guaranteed contract, so it's harder to get rid of them if you miss on them. If you look into statistical data (some here : http://www.82games.com/barzilai1.htm http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm) you can see that their mean value is slighlty higher but still within the margin of error of each pick, so they are not significantly better than almost all second round picks. So the maths are telling me not to trade for them.

But on the other end, I'm sure I'm not the only one around NBA to notice. I think most of the GMs with statistical department knows. So it means that there's an higher value placed for early second round picks than for first round picks. So it should could less to get an extra players from the late first round than from the early 2nd round, so all the sudden, the gap of value between the two contracts seems narrower. But now if you look at draftee as players and not only numbers, you could see real advantage to have more choice (especially if you have a great scouting staff).

So my conclusion is late first round picks and 2nd round picks have pretty much the same appeal if correctly assessed and the best strategy to find a solid players from them is to multiply them.

Now regarding the pels situation, I think draft picks are less valuable, mostly because rookies only play if they are stud and every draft picks need time and playing time to mature, so the chances of seeing them contributes on the long term are really low for any of these picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    I have to say that I'm torn with the opportunity of trading for late first round picks.

On first end, if you look at it from CBA prospective, they are fully guaranteed contract, so it's harder to get rid of them if you miss on them. If you look into statistical data (some here : http://www.82games.com/barzilai1.htm http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm) you can see that their mean value is slighlty higher but still within the margin of error of each pick, so they are not significantly better than almost all second round picks. So the maths are telling me not to trade for them.

But on the other end, I'm sure I'm not the only one around NBA to notice. I think most of the GMs with statistical department knows. So it means that there's an higher value placed for early second round picks than for first round picks. So it should could less to get an extra players from the late first round than from the early 2nd round, so all the sudden, the gap of value between the two contracts seems narrower. But now if you look at draftee as players and not only numbers, you could see real advantage to have more choice (especially if you have a great scouting staff).

So my conclusion is late first round picks and 2nd round picks have pretty much the same appeal if correctly assessed and the best strategy to find a solid players from them is to multiply them.

Now regarding the pels situation, I think draft picks are less valuable, mostly because rookies only play if they are stud and every draft picks need time and playing time to mature, so the chances of seeing them contributes on the long term are really low for any of these picks.
    Normally I would agree. However, this is a very rich draft and we have some very high guaranteed contracts (and more to come with a Boogie extension (hopefully)). So, a small guaranteed contract on the bench is not a bad thing and with the size of rookie contracts, is very easily tradable if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Delko View Post
    For some reason I see us drafting a PG and get rid of Frazier.
    I just don't see us pick a wing that will be behind Hill,Moore, Crawford, Qpon and eventually Dante if he resigns, when we have only Jrue at the point that even might become SG next season (assuming he comes back)

I can see that.

Duke's Frank Jackson would be ideal to slip cause we need PG and SG and he is truly both with tons of upside

at the end of the day I see us having one of these:

Frank Jackson
    Jawun Evans
    Derrick White
    Dwayne Bacon
    PJ Dozier
    Damyean Dotson
    Josh Hart
    Sindarius Thornwell
    Jaron Blossomgame

I'm crazy enough to take this guy as a tall backup SF who can slide to PF where needed. Exactly the things I saw/liked in Marquese Chriss in last years draft.

If this guy is still on the board when we pick it is a no brainer. Love his aggressiveness, athletic game, hes super young too with so many physical tools to work with.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Andrew White is the guy I want. I'd take him at 40 and be super happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post

If this guy is still on the board when we pick it is a no brainer. Love his aggressiveness, athletic game, hes super young too with so many physical tools to work with.
    If folks are smart they'd take him in at least late 1st. He's simply explosive. If he played 4 years at ok la st. Or Kansas he would be way better than the pig's they have in this years draft

Draft

Here three great argentinian player to this draft:

Gabriel Deck is a 6-8 SF/PF (22 years old), who play for Argentina in the national team at the olympics in RÃ**o. He is a pesky defender with great scoring instincts. He is a star of LNB of Argentina where was awarded as best argentine player in the LNB ( http://basquetplus.com/articulo/deck...-liga-nacional ) and was in the ideal team of the LNB league ( http://basquetplus.com/articulo/deck...e-saca-de-foco ). He also was recently named in the ideal team of the Liga de las Américas.

Watch this block: https://youtu.be/NtgPixzX3w0?t=33s

Six different teams came to see him in Argentina: Utah, Chicago, Boston, Milwaukee, Indiana and New Orleans. Within that group, Utah and Milwaukee appeared as the most interested, remembering that the Jazz has four picks. http://www.basquetplus.com/articulo/...los-argentinos

Erik Thomas (6-5, SF) finished great his senior year. Not only classify the University of New Orleans to NCAA's March Madness after a 21-year absence, but he also received individual awards: he was named best player of the Southland Conference, as well a special mention in the All-American awards. He was in Portland to do workouts. (http://www.basquetplus.com/articulo/...-mi-sue%C3%B1o)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYzTwB5L0dk

Luca Vildoza
    (6-3, PG) is a gem of argentinian basketball, multiple nba teams was in Argentina to see him. He's a super fluid guard that is athletic, patient and he's NBA quick, he has a ton of potential. He's also an insane rebounder for a guard. But Vildoza already has an extensive contract signed with Baskonia of Spain, which maybe could detract some chances of bet on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah6Hr2nhSqE
    "The greatest threat to the domination is the equality."

Good drop!

Thread Information