Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: POLL: Should we keep Jrue on the team next season?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Pay him the MAX!

17 25.76%
  • No! Spend the money elsewhere!

38 57.58%
  • Don't know/Don't Care!

11 16.67%
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we keep Jrue on the team next season?

Pelicans Should we keep Jrue on the team next season?

Should we keep Jrue on the team next year?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    You are certain it will require a max contract to keep Holiday?

I'd resign him on anything south of 19mil per season. Shift him to SG, spend the offseason trying to find a point guard that is starting quality.

As much as I have been displeased with Holiday's play over the last two months, I still believe that we should re-sign him. Re-signing Jrue adds stability to our backcourt at both PG and SG. Most importantly, it keeps Anthony happy. Also, keeping him retains corporate knowledge of the playbook. Sure, he has had terrible performances since the All-Star break. But, there isn't anyone else that will be on the free agent market I will give top dollar to sign.

As Gentry stated in his postgame interview, this team needs a full offseason to learn the system and play together. I hope the front office looks to adding quality depth along the wings with guys who can the 3 consistently and be substantial guarding opponents on the perimeter. My free agent target list is the following:

SG Anthony Morrow
    SG Justin Holiday
    SG Jodie Meeks
    SG Ben McLemore
    SF Thabo Sefolosha
    SF Omri Casspi

You should include in your poll how much his salary will count towards the cap which is something like 16mil right? If Benson is willing to overspend then we all should consider Jrue's max as 16mil and he is a steal at this contract.

his cap hold is 16,9

his max is around 33 millions

process it once

process it twice

s..t

There's no way in the world that Holiday should make more than Davis. $1 less a year and I'm happy.

Jrue missing the start of the season is one of the main reasons we missed the playoffs. The other was adding Cousins too late. It would be great if he gives the Pels a discount for sticking by him during his family situation. That is how San Antonio has kept their roll going all these years.

I want him to stay, and think that if we came back with the exact same team we have now we would be in the playoffs easily. We won't lose many games to weaker teams as long as AD and Cousins and Jrue are playing. If we can get replace Asik with another guard of the caliber of Moore, and get Pondexter back we can even challenge for a 4 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    There's no way in the world that Holiday should make more than Davis. $1 less a year and I'm happy.
    in 15 months AD might be third highest paid player in this team

in his prime...

AD is owed 23,775 millions next year

This is fair starting price for Jrue

(in my head I have 4 year 100-105 millions for Jrue)

Quote Originally Posted by TPDG22 View Post
    As much as I have been displeased with Holiday's play over the last two months, I still believe that we should re-sign him. Re-signing Jrue adds stability to our backcourt at both PG and SG. Most importantly, it keeps Anthony happy. Also, keeping him retains corporate knowledge of the playbook. Sure, he has had terrible performances since the All-Star break. But, there isn't anyone else that will be on the free agent market I will give top dollar to sign.

As Gentry stated in his postgame interview, this team needs a full offseason to learn the system and play together. I hope the front office looks to adding quality depth along the wings with guys who can the 3 consistently and be substantial guarding opponents on the perimeter. My free agent target list is the following:

SG Anthony Morrow
    SG Justin Holiday
    SG Jodie Meeks
    SG Ben McLemore
    SF Thabo Sefolosha
    SF Omri Casspi
    With his style of play and the pieces we have on the post(cough) we will be one and done in the playoffs. It doesn't matter what shooters we get. Gentry needs to go.

This can't simply be a yes or no situation. Salary has to be factored into the result. Again anything south of a contract that averages 20mil per yes you keep Jrue anything North of 23 you move on. Anything in between you have to flip a coin.

I for one definitely think the time to decide whether you re-sign a player or not is in the heat of the moment after a loss. One should always let the last few plays of a game completely overwrite the other 46 minutes, because as everyone knows the game is won and lost in the final plays - the first 46 minutes are just there to buffer the time between advertisements.

my decision with 23/year was not made after his turnovers/violation

Jrue is not great as a ball handler. he is best suited with a real PG

maybe basketball gods will smile to us on draft lottery

Fultz-Holiday combo might be deadly

low probability, I know

If someone can present a realistic alternative to signing Jrue to whatever contract it takes to keep him then I'm all for letting him walk. I don't accept "future flexibility" though. Not with Cousins on his last year.

hard task

Sign Paty Mills and Darren Collison as a FA. Mills with cap space. Collison with MLE.
    Stretch Asik.

1. Sign Mills for 10/year.
    2. stretch Asik
    3. re-sign Dante (operate above cap)
    4. use MLE on Collison

not perfect but leaves options.

30 millions/year for Jrue will be hard to trade in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    If someone can present a realistic alternative to signing Jrue to whatever contract it takes to keep him then I'm all for letting him walk. I don't accept "future flexibility" though. Not with Cousins on his last year.
    Just like we had to give Asik his contract because we had Davis and he didn't want to play center! SMH at making the same mistakes.

Giving Holiday the max is more likely to be the reason Cousins leave then it is to make him stay.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 04-05-2017 at 09:07 AM.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    We should keep him, but he is not worth the max.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    The problem with this proposition is that you frequently discount the possibilities by saying they're not realistic, or dismissing the talent of the players that could be acquired.

A team with AD, Cousins, and average NBA talent should make the playoffs because those two are great. Watch how frustrated Boogie will be if Jrue Holiday is getting paid more than him and can't get him the ball in the post and turns the ball over in the clutch. Boogie might kill Jrue. Boogie doesn't know Jrue. Whether Boogie resigns with us has nothing to do with whether we keep Jrue, it has to do with whether we stay healthy and make the playoffs next year. Whether we make the playoffs is 100% dependent on AD and Boogie, and the competency of the players around them. If they can't get into the playoffs, the national media will rightly point the finger at Anthony Davis and Demarcus Cousins.

If you lose Jrue, you can sign a guy like Patty Mills (your response will be that he's not leaving San Antonnio because you dismiss all the alternatives and I assume must know Patty Mills personally).

If you lose Jrue you can sign Shaun Livingston or Darren Collison and look for a SG (your response will be that we need to know specifically who that SG is and that Shaun Livingston is terrible).

If you lose Jrue you trade a fake 2nd round pick to the Suns and take Brandon Knight off their hands (Your response will be that Jrue is better than Knight, but he's also paid significantly less which gives us future flexibility, knows AD/DC well, and is 2 years removed from a great season).

If you lose Jrue you can trade a protected 1st round pick for Bledsoe or Rubio (Your response will be that we could use that 1st round pick to fill another hole, but we don't actually have a huge hole at that point, have future cap flexibility, and are likely giving up a pick in the 20s coming off a playoff run).

I could keep listing alternatives to signing Jrue if you like... But you dismiss the importance of future flexibility outright as if it doesn't matter when it's why we've been in the position we've been in over the last 5 years starting with the resigning of Eric Gordon and taking on Jrue, Tryreke, and Asik at above market acquisition cost either in terms of cap or draft picks. If Jrue was a legitimate 3rd All NBA caliber player in a real Big 3, I'd have no problem losing that flexibility. But Jrue is a huge question mark without a clear position, with a history of missing significant time due to injury, and questionable drive/fortitude to improve his game or deliver in the clutch.

If Jrue was Kyle Lowry, Lillard, Isiah Thomas, John Wall, Kyrie Irving... sure, that's your third member of a Big 3, and you can kill future flexibility. But Jrue isn't even Mike Conley. Jrue isn't Tony Parker.
    Jrue isn't even Kemba Walker or George-Mutha-Chuckin-Hill!

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    My limit on Jrue would be close to 25 mil. A year. At that price he's simply overpaid. Anything more and he's so disastrously overpaid that injuries or even a slight decline in ability could easily turn him into a contender for worst contract in the league.
    @DanielVeuleman

Can Boogie and AD make the playoffs without Jrue? Yes.

Would AD and Jrue be playoff contenders without Boogie? Probably not

Would Boogie and Jrue be playoff contenders without AD? Not even close

Does Jrue elevate AD and Boogie to a Championship level team? Don't think so, unless Jrue drastically improves.

So if your goal is to win a championship, what's the argument for locking Jrue into a long term contract that kills future flexibility?

Cannot make a decision in a vacuum. It all depends on the alternatives. If he presses us for the max, I think we have to move on. He is not worth anything close to the max. We have to look at what we can get to put around him, Boogie and AD and compare it to what our options without him would be.

Not only will they keep Holiday, they are going to add another one. We will have double Holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    We should keep him, but he is not worth the max.
    this

Thread Information