Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Per Kushner, Demps and Gentry staying.

Well... as much as I wanted a new regime running the team I do see and understand why Loomis is staying stat quo. At the end of the day its a business, and this decisio9n is all about Cuz:

Sources said the importance was not only because of adding an elite center to a small-market team for the reasonable package of Buddy Hield, a protected draft pick and a pair of expiring contracts, but also because the Pelicans sought to provide a dose of stability around Cousins as he enters the final year of his contract.

“We certainly saw an uptick in the energy around the team since (Cousins) got here,” team president Dennis Lauscha said on March 31. “We’ve seen a big uptick in renewals, and we’ve seen an uptick in sponsorships already. Listen, he’s been great for the organization. He’s a great guy, and he’s already volunteered to do community stuff. We love having him as a part of our organization.

Cousins’ arrival also helped buoy Gentry’s job status.

Gentry, who replaced Monty Williams following the Pelicans’ 2015 playoff appearance, has compiled a 64-100 record in two seasons, finishing at least eight games out of the No. 8 spot both times. Still, league sources indicated Gentry’s developing relationship with Cousins was an important factor in the decision to retain the coach for a third season.

So you can throw out all of the logical basketball reasons for this being a bad move. Its not about basketball. If it were about basketball they'd be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    Mythrol I don't agree with having to kit glove one player to buy into the program.
    If D.C. Wants to play for a chance at advancing in the playoffs he will follow his heart.
    I don't see him staying in another loser franchise again
    It has nothing to do with a kit glove. It's about trying to show him some stability for once in his career. The guy has had almost more head coaches than years he's played in the NBA. He likes Dell and Gentry. It's worth it to see if we can make this work.

As far as Cousins not wanting to say with a loser franchise, he wanted to stay in Sac. Cousins is one of the most loyal players in the NBA.

Not that it matters because I feel we are going to make the playoffs next year in almost any scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    That's the real thing of it.

We just assume that Gentry is SO horribly incompetent. And I'm not even gonna argue against it, honestly. But the biggest thing I really don't like with the system adding in Cousins is playing 4 out 1 in when AD and Cousins are in the game at the same time.

I get that both Cousins and AD have 3pt range. But we could be killing teams on the offensive glass if we'd put our big boys inside. The AD and Boogie hi-lo game would be orgasmic.
    Yeah I'm looking forward to it as well. Something we haven't thought about much is how a high-low offense might affect Jrue. Maybe he wouldn't be ideal for Gentry's usual 7 seconds or less system but a slower paced high-low that gives him more time for reads might help improve his offensive game.

Banned
    Mythrol
    DC has been a Coach Killer period.
    His style of play does not win a team games. Its pads stats for DC.
    He gets the ball puts his head down and looks for HIS shot to Score.
    Postive Change would have been to Show DC The Pelicans mean Business.
    We as a Org want to win not help DC get a MVP.
    Alvin Gentry is a Yes Sir guy. He used DC situation to parley him his job security no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    That is exactly how 51 win teams typically get 51 wins. They aren't running around beating playoff teams 2 out of 3 times. That's reserved for the Warriors.

Utah won 51 games this season. Their record against the West lottery teams? 21-5. Their record against the West playoff teams? 10-16.

If you want to win 50 games in the league, the first thing you do is clean up on the weak sisters, and then just try to compete and get a reasonable share against your fellow playoff teams.
    But you cannot extrapolate wins against bad teams to a "pace." That's like saying that if the Saints beat the Browns and 49ers last season, they are on "pace" to go 16-0. Makes no logical sense.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    But you cannot extrapolate wins against bad teams to a "pace." That's like saying that if the Saints beat the Browns and 49ers last season, they are on "pace" to go 16-0. Makes no logical sense.
    That's not really an accurate comparison.

It's more like saying if the Saints can consistently win against sub .500 teams... and the Browns, 49ers, Jaguars, Bears, Chargers, Rams, Jets, Bengals, Bills, Panthers, Cardinals and Eagles are on the schedule... then they should have a winning season, even if they lose more than they win against the winning teams.

Banned
    I get what Bricklayer is pointing towards. But as a rule of thumb in the NBA teams must win the tough games on the road against playoff caliber teams to show within themselves they can win big games.
    Winning against low level ball clubs is expected.
    I think as a team the Pelicans need a Head Coach that holds authority.
    Alvin Gentry is just happy he has a job. He knows it's not if but when he gets fired.
    He can't control D.C. and AD. These guys play park ball not the team aspect at all.
    Last edited by Buckwheat; 05-16-2017 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    Mythrol
    DC has been a Coach Killer period.
    His style of play does not win a team games. Its pads stats for DC.
    He gets the ball puts his head down and looks for HIS shot to Score.
    Postive Change would have been to Show DC The Pelicans mean Business.
    We as a Org want to win not help DC get a MVP.
    Alvin Gentry is a Yes Sir guy. He used DC situation to parley him his job security no doubt.
    No Buckwheat.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    That's not really an accurate comparison.

It's more like saying if the Saints can consistently win against sub .500 teams... and the Browns, 49ers, Jaguars, Bears, Chargers, Rams, Jets, Bengals, Bills, Panthers, Cardinals and Eagles are on the schedule... then they should have a winning season, even if they lose more than they win against the winning teams.
    It is an exact comparison to what was stated. Your analogy would make sense. However, that is not at all like extrapolating those wins out to a season win total. If the comment was that we went 10-6 against some of the worst teams in the NBA, so we should be able to maintain a winning record, it would make sense. To say that we went 10-6 against some of the worst teams in the NBA so we should be able to maintain that same winning percentage against the rest of the NBA, makes no sense at all.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Cuz said he liked Alvin and Dell. We played well down the stretch. I don't think this is as controversial a decision as it's being made out as, no matter your personal opinion. If you feel that firing either effects Cousin's FA then the smart move is to keep them. I wont pretend to know that, but its been stated that one of the factors was presenting stability so I don't think it's a stretch.
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Cuz said he liked Alvin and Dell. We played well down the stretch. I don't think this is as controversial a decision as it's being made out as, no matter your personal opinion. If you feel that firing either effects Cousin's FA then the smart move is to keep them. I wont pretend to know that, but its been stated that one of the factors was presenting stability so I don't think it's a stretch.
    Consider who the person is that is making it into a huge deal js

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

I certainly wanted both Demps and Gentry gone and to start fresh. However, it is what it is now. Hopefully, Demps can rework the roster around AD and Cousins and build a winner. It would be nice and certainly helpful if the ping pong balls were nice to us tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Stability? Not if you start of the season like the last 2. If the NBA schedule Gods have their way it could be 3. May not make it to January. Hope you like Erman as head coach.

It is an exact comparison to what was stated. Your analogy would make sense. However, that is not at all like extrapolating those wins out to a season win total. If the comment was that we went 10-6 against some of the worst teams in the NBA, so we should be able to maintain a winning record, it would make sense. To say that we went 10-6 against some of the worst teams in the NBA so we should be able to maintain that same winning percentage against the rest of the NBA, makes no sense at all.
    Not quite. In those 16 games when we went 10-6, we played half those games against playoff teams. 7 games against western conference playoff teams, and 1 against an eastern conference playoff team. No one is saying we went 10-6 againt the worst teams in the NBA so we should be able to maintain that same winning percentage against the rest of the NBA. If we do what we did in March over the course of an entire season, that is in fact a 51 win pace in a month that was pretty representative of a typical NBA strength of schedule.

Not quite. In those 16 games when we went 10-6, we played half those games against playoff teams. 7 games against western conference playoff teams, and 1 against an eastern conference playoff team. No one is saying we went 10-6 againt the worst teams in the NBA so we should be able to maintain that same winning percentage against the rest of the NBA. If we do what we did in March over the course of an entire season, that is in fact a 51 win pace in a month that was pretty representative of a typical NBA strength of schedule over the course of a month.
    We also did that with basically no bench which I feel like people are forgetting. If we get better players then what we had were going to the playoffs

They don't win now they get fired and Cousins leaves anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    And that totally can't happen under any other coach or GM huh? Weird injuries and circumstances are only dependent on this current staff I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    We also did that with basically no bench which I feel like people are forgetting. If we get better players then what we had were going to the playoffs

Sure, if we get better players, I would hope the team plays better. We need a lot of luck tonight. Otherwise, I am not sure how we get the better players that are going to improve the team much. I really hope we can find a way, because this is our best shot since AD came aboard. Part of me is hoping that we may be able to attract some veteran players that may not demand huge contracts, but may be willing to play with AD and Cousins for slightly less to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    Or, they don't win, Gentry/Demps get fired, and AD/DC get to be a part of choosing the next regime and Cousins decides to stay because he's on board with the new hires.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    And that totally can't happen under any other coach or GM huh? Weird injuries and circumstances are only dependent on this current staff I guess.
    Couldn't you use that argument with any coach/GM? If so, why ever fire one? (Although I guess some would argue that coaches really do not matter as much in the NBA).

Doesn't Demps trading for Boogie go back to Demps being incapable of providing his coaches with players that fit his system. From Monty to Gentry, Demps just collects talent with no real purpose, and expects his coaches to work with it. I am not saying that I am upset with us having Boogie, I am just saying, having Boogie and AD on this team is pointless unless we have a system in place that is centered around the bigs (Gentry's system is guard oriented).
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Sure, if we get better players, I would hope the team plays better. We need a lot of luck tonight. Otherwise, I am not sure how we get the better players that are going to improve the team much. I really hope we can find a way, because this is our best shot since AD came aboard. Part of me is hoping that we may be able to attract some veteran players that may not demand huge contracts, but may be willing to play with AD and Cousins for slightly less to make it work.
    The MLE should get us at least one positive addition to the bench. If Jrue doesn't resign, we need a S/T. That's the key to the offseason. Lot's of possibilities out there. Keep hope alive!

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Doesn't Demps trading for Boogie go back to Demps being incapable of providing his coaches with players that fit his system. From Monty to Gentry, Demps just collects talent with no real purpose, and expects his coaches to work with it. I am not saying that I am upset with us having Boogie, I am just saying, having Boogie and AD on this team is pointless unless we have a system in place that is centered around the bigs (Gentry's system is guard oriented).
    I guess we will see if Gentry can adapt to the players he has been given. Sadly, this team may have been a pretty nice fit for Monty's system.

If Jrue doesn't resign, we need a S/T.
    I hope he does us a favor and asks for a S&T. I think the key (although very slight chance) to a big offseason is tonight. Absent that, Demps needs to be creative.

If we do get lucky tonight that pick is gone in my mind and more likely to Chicago for Butler and if that happens a player like cp would have to seriously consider coming back here. I mean how do you pass up siging with a team that has ad boogie and Butler on the roster but again if we get a top 3 pick. Although there is that report that we're going hard at him this summer anyways

Thread Information